|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Phew, well what an upset that is! Nadal has never before in his career lost in the first round of a major but he has been knocked out today by Steve Darcis, who is ranked down at 135 in the world. Next up for Darcis will be Poland's Lukasz Kubot after he beat Igor Andreev in straight sets earlier in the day.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 4-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! A sensational backhand passing shot winner from Nadal sees him take the first point before Darcis bounces back with a backhand winner across court. The Belgian then sneaks 30-15 ahead by chasing down a cross court backhand from Nadal and threading it down the line for a forehand winner. That quickly becomes two match points when Nadal fails with a backhand attempt. And DARCIS KNOCKS NADAL OUT OF WIMBLEDON with an ace down the centre of the court.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 4-5 - Nadal nets a backhand to leave Darcis potentially just two points away from the one. The Belgian goes just marginally wide with a cross court forehand to hand Nadal a game point before the Spaniard holds when Darcis puts a backhand return of serve long. Darcis will have to serve out this match after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 3-5 - Darcis does incredibly well to get a stretched forehand back, Nadal getting up to the ball only to put his backhand into the net. The Spaniard then pulls up short when chasing down another drop shot from Darcis to allow the Belgian to level at 30-all. Nadal gets a lifeline point when Darcis goes long with a forehand but a backhand into the net squanders the chance and Darcis goes on to hold with a bakchand volley. Nadal will have to serve to stay in this match!
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 3-4 - Since being broken at the beginning of this set, Nadal has lost just the one point on serve. The Spaniard opens the game with a backhand passing shto winner down the line before a forehand long hands Darcis his only point while he's trailing 0-40. But Nadal holds at the second attempt. Still just the one break in this third set.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 2-4 - Nadal looks a little resigned after netting another backhand before thumping a backhand return of serve winner to get himself off the mark in the game. A magnificent backhand winner across court from Darcis earns him to game points but again there's no chase from Nadal. And Darcis holds on the next point when Nadal nets another backhand.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 2-3 - Nadal earns himself three game points with a huge forehand that Darcis can only return into the bottom of the net. And the Spaniard holds to love, for the second time in a row, on the very next point with an ace down the centre of the court.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 1-3 - Darcis finds his first serve when he needs it, to get himself out of a spot of bother at 15-30 down. But the Belgian earns himself a game point and then he does hold when Nadal sends a backhand return long.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 1-2 - A love service game from Nadal as he fires down a couple of big serves, the final one of which is out wide, which Darcis is unable to return over the net let alone in play.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 0-2 - Darcis earns himself a game point with a cross court forehand winner before sealing the game by going back to the same place, Nadal this time pulling up short and abandoning his chase of the ball. He's definately looking a step slow, Nadal.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) 0-1 - BREAK! Nadal's hand just goes to his knee, almost imperceptibly, after he tries to push off and chase down a high Darcis backhand overhead. The Spaniard doesn't even get close to chansing the ball down and Darcis goes on to break on the next point with an inside-out forehand winner across court.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-7(8) - SET! Nadal goes long with an attempted forehand down the line! Absolutely amazing from the Spaniard as he fires a fairly routine long of the baseline and Steve Darcis has a two sets to love lead against the fifth seed.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-6 (8-9) - TIE- BREAK! Nadal slices a backhand into the top of the net to squander his chance before another service winner from Darcis brings up a fifth set point for the Belgian ...
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-6 (8-7) - TIE-BREAK! Darcis has a half-chance to take that one but nets a forehand to squander it before the perfect inside-out forehand stop volley winner across couer brings up a first set point for Nadal...
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-6 (6-7) - TIE-BREAK! Darcis goes long with a backhand down the centre of the court to squander the first while Nadal saves the second with a great forehand down the line that Darcis can only return into the net (having got a little lucky with his forehand that caught the tape and almost beat Nadal for pace). One more set point remaining. And the third goes begging when Nadal just dips a forehand in. Darcis gets a fourth chance when Nadal goes long with a forehand return.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-6 (3-5) - TIE-BREAK! Gutsy play from Darcis as he fires a forehand approach shot deep, Nadal sending his reply long to. Darcis then finds a bullet of an ace to bring up three set points for a two sets to love lead against the fifth seed ...
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-6 (2-4) - TIE-BREAK! Nadal is furious with himself when he nets a forehand return of serve to allow Darcis to sneak ahead in the breaker despite putting in a fairly tame second serve. That slight lead quickly becomes a mini-break advantage at the change of ends when Nadal runs miles around his backhand only to rush his forehand and fire well, well wide across court.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-6 - BREAK! Darcis rattles a forehand passing shot winner down the line to earn himself two break back points late in this second set. The Belgian only needs the one though as Nadal, a little conscious of his footwork in that point perhaps, nets a backhand. This second set will also be decided by a tie-break.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 6-5 - BREAK! An error-riddled game from Darcis as he throws in a backhand error, a forehand error, another forehand error and then a smash into the bottom of the net to hand Nadal the break and the chance to serve out this second set after the change of ends.
- - NDAAL 6-7(4) 4-5 - Nadal will have to serve to stay in this second set as Dracis holds yet again (he is yet to be broken in this match), sealing the game with an ace.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 4-4 - Nadal holds once again, this time to 30, sealing the game with an ace down the centre of the court. There's a lull in atmosphere over on Court 1 at the moment, the crowd waiting for the fireworks to begin again now this second set has reached crunch point.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 3-4 - Darcis holds with another trip into the net, his forehand approach shot doing enough to seal the game when Nadal nets his forehand return.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 3-3 - This time it is Nadal's turn to ease through a service hold, levelling up with a big serve and backhand winner down the line.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 2-3 - Darcis posts another love service game, holding with a huge first serve and a forehand winner to keep the pressure very firmly on Nadal's shoulders.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 2-2 - Nadal again finds himself 0-30 down on serve before being able to bounce back with four straight points. He gets off the mark when Darcis fails to land a backhand volley, instead hitting into the net, before Nadal goes on to hold with an ace.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 1-2 - Nadal pushes Darcis all the way to deuce this time before the Belgian recovers to hold and stay just in front, albeit it on serve, in this second set.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 1-1 - Nadal drops the first two points behind his serve before bouncing back with four straight points and sealing the game on a Darcis error backhand error.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) 0-1 - Darcis makes a trip into the net and dinks a forehand stop volley winner over the net to seal a opening hold in this second set to 15.
- - NADAL 6-7(4) - SET! Darcis comes in to the net on his first set point, Nadal looping a forehand passing shot winner down the line. But he can do nothing about the second as Darcis comes into the net and finds an inside-out forehand volley winner across court
- - NADAL 6-6 (3-6) - TIE-BREAK! Sensational stuff from Darcis as he fires the ball down the line, earning himself three set points when Nadal runs round the ball and fires his inside-out forehand wide across court.
- - NADAL 6-6 (3-3) - TIE-BREAK! There is still nothing to chose between these two players are the change of ends in the tie-break as Nadal first sneaks out in front before being pegged back when Darcis finds a great forehand
- - NADAL 6-6 - BREAK! Nadal breaks back for the loss of just the one point, sending Darcis first one way with a cross court forehand and then back down the line with a forehand that the Belgian can only flick back into the net as he struggles with the pace. This first set will go to a tie-break.
- - NADAL 5-6 - BREAK! Darcis finds himself in possession of two more break points (numbers nine and 10) when he pushes Nadal wide and draws the forehand error. And this time the Belgian does break when Nadal goes long with a forehand. Darcis will serve for the opening set after the change of ends
- - NADAL 5-5 - Darcis earns himself two game points with a trip into the net and a forehand volley winner before a decent first serve sees Nadal hit into the net.
- - NADAL 5-4 - A real test for Darcis now as Nadal follows a forehand winner with a backhand winner to seal another hold and leave the Belgian serving to stay in this opening set.
- - NADAL 4-4 - The first love game of the match goes the way of Darcis as he races through with four huge first serves that Nadal struggles to return.
- - NADAL 4-3 - Fantastic tennis from both players but it is Nadal who comes out on top, Darcis getting a little lucky when he backhand catches the top of the tape. Nadal manages to get up to the ball before Darcis is there with a defensive backhand lob. The Spaniard gets enough of a racquet to it that Darcis cannot return the ball, the Belgian flinging himself at it in vain, getting a racquet to the ball but returning into the bottom of the net.
- - NADAL 3-3 - A togher service game this time around for Darcis as Nadal pushes him to deuce when the Belgian nets an under-pressure backhand. But Nadal nets a forehand before a backhand just marginally wide down the line helps Darcis seal the game and level up once more.
- - NADAL 3-2 - Yet again Nadal has to save a break point, which he does when Darcis fails to find the court with a forehand. The Spaniard then goes on to hold when after back-to-back errors from Darcis, the first a forehand and then a backhand.
- - NADAL 2-2 - Darcis continues to frustrate Nadal on serve as he races into the net and fires off a backhand volley winner, holding from deuce to kep things on level terms.
- - NADAL 2-1 - An ace down the centre of the court, the ball catching the very outside of the line, saves another break point for Nadal before he goes on to hold with a backhand winner a couple of points later.
- - NADAL 1-1 - A service hold to 15 for Darcis continues his promising start to the match as the Belgian produces some heavy ground-strokes that eventually draw the error from Nadal a forehand just wide across court on the angle.
- - NADAL 1-0 - An understandably slightly rusty opening game from Nadal, who has not played a warm-up tournament on the grass coming into Wimbledon. The Spaniard is forced to save a break point, which he does when Darcis hits long, before going on to hold for the opening game of the match.
- - Our next featured men's match sees former champion, and this year's fifth seed, Rafael Nadal take on Belgian Steve Darcis.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||13/03/1984|