|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - A strong win for Murray in the end despite the slightly blip early in the second set. The Brit has made a winning return to action and will face Latvia's Ernests Gulbis in the round of 16, Gulbis coming past Fabio Fognini in three tough sets just 30 minutes ago.
- - MURRAY 6-3 7-6(2) GAME, SET & MATCH! Murray grabs another two points after the change of ends, belting a forehand return back at Granollers to win the game, the Spaniard only able to net his forehand reply.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-6 (4-2) - TIE-BREAK! Despite Granollers taking the opening two points of the break, Murray storms back with four of his own to hold the mini-break lead at the change of ends - a vicious forehand down the line followed by a inside-out forehand winner across court.
- - MURRAY 6-3 6-6 - It's tie-break time, folks; Murray easing through a relatively comfortable service hold, albeit only to 30 as he nets a forehand, to force the break as an end to this set and (possibly) this clash.
- - MURRAY 6-3 5-6 - Granollers slaps down a third double fault of this set (a fifth overall) to gift Murray a point in the game. But the Spaniard was already leading 40-0 and it doesn't prove too costly as he finds a cross court forehand winner on the next point to sneak ahead once more. Murray will have to serve to stay in the set for a third time.
- - MURRAY 6-3 5-5 - Murray draws level when Granollers stands up to a sliced backhand from the Brit and lashes at his forehand, sending the ball whistling well long of the baseline. It's all square again in this second set.
- - MURRAY 6-3 4-5 - BREAK! Murray sneaks 15-30 ahead before Granollers ghosts into the net behind big serves twice in quick succession, winning both points with vlley winners, to bring up a first set point. Murray saves the first with some huge hitting which eventually draws the netted forehand from the Spaniard. A forehand passing shot winner down the line from Murray brings up break back point and sure enough he does break back with another forehand winner.
- - MURRAY 6-3 3-5 - Granollers is left with his head in his hands when he completely mis-hits a forehand to gift Murray two game points. The first goes begging for the Brit as he loops a routine forehand long down the centre of the court, while the second is also squandered with a backhand wide down the line. Deuce. Murray earns himself a third game point with a forehand winner though and this time he does hold when Granollers goes long after standing up to a backhand. He will still serve for it.
- - MURRAY 6-3 2-5 - Despite a second double fault in the set, Granollers eases through another service hold, sealing the game to 30 with an unreturnable serve of his own, and Murray will have to serve to stay in this second set after the change of ends.
- - MURRAY 6-3 2-4 - Much more sting in the serve from Murray as he races out to a 30-0 lead before netting a forehand to allow Granollers off the net. The Scot also catches the tape on his next forehand although this time the ball goes over and he does a good enough job of rushing the net to put Granollers off, the Spaniard netting his attempting backhand passing shot despite having heaps of time to set up the shot. Murray then holds with an unreturnable serve to keep the deficit down.
- - MURRAY 6-3 1-4 - Another couple of wayward ground-strokes from Murray help Granollers on his way to a comfortable service hold to consolidate his break in this second set. The Brit just suffering from a lapse in concentration at the moment.
- - MURRAY 6-3 1-3 - BREAK! Well, well. Solid play from the baseline for Granollers as he hangs in on point after point, eventually forcing the mis-cue from Murray. The Brit completely mis-times a forehand and sends the ball nowhere near the court. It is breezy today in Montreal but Murray would expect to do better with a ball like that and it's Granollers with the break in this second set.
- - MURRAY 6-3 1-2 - A great read from Granollers on the running backhand passing shot from Murray sees the Spaniard dink a reactionary backhand volley into the open court before going on to hold with a big first serve that Murray cannot return in court.
- - MURRAY 6-3 1-1 - Granollers does well with a good angle that Murray can only volley back low into the net off the backhand wing, denying the Scot on a first game point. The Spaniard then also prevents Murray for taking his second attempt but a wayward cross court forehand from Granollers hands the Brit a third chance and this time he does hold when a backhand goes wide down the line from the Spaniard.
- - MURRAY 6-3 0-1 - Granollers holds for the loss of just the one point to get the second set underway. A solid opening service hold from the Spaniard to put the disappointment of that first set behind him.
- - MURRAY 6-3 - SET! A big first serve out wide followed by an equally huge inside-out forehand across court can only be lobbed long by Granollers and iy brings up a first set point for Murray. It's all he needs though as the Spaniard goes wide with a cross court backhand. Murray has the first set in 48 minutes.
- - MURRAY 5-3 - Murray has the chance to fashion a set point but the Brit pulls his attempted backhand passing shot into the net to squander the chance and instead hand Granollers a game point, which the Spaniard takes full advantage of with a smash winner comfortably down the line. Murray will have the chance to serve it out after the change of ends, though.
- - MURRAY 5-3 - Murray steadies the ship with a much better hold to 15, leaving himself potentially just one game away from the opening set when Granollers goes well wide with an inside out cross court backhand return. The Spaniard will have to serve to stay in this set.
- - MURRAY 4-3 - Granollers does well to hold serve to 30, albeit Murray getting a little unlucky as his great pick-up off the forehand wing catches the top of the tape and bounces back on to his side of the net. Still, it was a solid hold from the Spaniard who reduces the deficit back to just the one break.
- - MURRAY 4-2 - BREAK! Murray sends a stretched backhand volley just marginally long of the baseline to allow Granollers to level up at 30-all before an injection of pace from the Spaniard sees him fashion a first break point. Murray saves it with a huge inside out forehand after pushing Granollers out of position, and then also a second when the Spaniard nets a forehand. A double fault from Murray hands Granollers a third chance though and this time he does break back when Murray misses a forehand
- - MURRAY 4-1 - BREAK! Ouch! A double fault from Granollers, already his second, hands Murray another break point. A great serve into the hip from the Spaniard saves it as Murray can only send his reply long but a backhand winner down the line earns the Scot a second chance and this time he takes it with a booming forehand winner down the line after backing away from the ball.
- - MURRAY 3-1 - Murray absolutely charges through a blink-and-you'll-miss-it service hold without any trouble whatsoever to consolidate the break. Granollers is already looking up against it, no signs of Murray struggling to find his rhythm after exactly one month off the court.
- MURRAY 2-1 - BREAK! Murray fails in his first bid to fashion an early break point when he nets a backhand passing shot attempt. But he is quick to level at deuce systematically working Granollers around the baseline before easily getting up to the shorter ball and finding a forehand volley winner across court. The Brit does get a chance shortly after, however, and grabs it with both hands marshalling Granollers defensive lob wide across court.
- - MURRAY 1-1 - Just like Djokovic last night, Murray endures a little struggle on his opening service game as Granollers pushes him to 30-all before the Brit can hold without the loss of further points, the Spaniard netting a forehand to end the game.
- - MURRAY 0-1 - A solid opening service hold from Granollers as he opens with a fast serve out wide, which Murray can only send back sailing wide. And the Spaniard goes on to hold without any trouble when the Brit sends a forehand long of the baseline.
- - Murray won the toss and opted to put Granollers in to serve first, so it will be the Spaniard to get us underway ...
- - Murray's last defeat before that unbeaten run on the grass courts that included wins at Queeen's and also, of course, Wimbledon came at the hands of today's opponent Granollers. That was at the Rome Masters when Murray was forced to retire with the back injury that kept him out of the French Open.
17:10 - The challenge for Murray now is to get himself back in shape and launch a strong defence of his US Open title. The fourth Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows is less than three weeks away.
17:05 - Today is a very special day. Andy Murray returns to the court for the first time since his epic Wimbledon triumph against Novak Djokovic. Welcome to live coverage of the Brit’s first day back - an encounter with world number 36 Marcel Granollers in Montreal.
|Date of Birth||12/04/1986|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|