|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
21:03 - That was a fairly flat performance from Murray after a solid return to action yesterday. But credit to Gulbis, who played very well, and will next face either Juan Martin Del Potro or Milos Raonic in the quarter-finals tomorrow.
- - MURRAY 4-6 3-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! A fantastic point from Gulbis sees him go 30-15 up as he works Murray around the court, and drawing him into the net, before rattling a backhand passing shot winner down the line. A double fault allows Murray to level at 30-all but a huge first serve on the next point that Murray can only return long and it's match point Gulbis. The Latvian only needs the one though as he fires down an ace to seal the win!
- - MURRAY 4-6 3-5 - BREAK! Murray breaks a sting in dropping the first point of the game and takes a while to chose his replacement racquet. It doesn't seem to help too much as his next serve bounces up to Gulbis's shoulder and the Latvian dismissively batters it away for a backhand return winner down the line. Murray levels up with a couple of big serves but Gulbis gets a break point when the Brit puts a tough backhand smash into the net. Gulbis does break with a backhand cross court winner.
- - MURRAY 4-6 3-4 - A second serve ace from Gulbis sees him hold to 30 to further frustrate Murray, who is playing far from his best today. The Latvian gets his rhythm back on serve to secure the hold and moves ahead once more.
- - MURRAY 4-6 3-3 - Much, much better from Murray as he holds for the loss of just the one point, dominating off the forehand wing on game point and eventually drawing the error from Gulbis, who fails to find the court with his response. Fully back on serve in this second set now.
- - MURRAY 4-6 2-3 - BREAK! Gulbis is furious with himself when he misses a forehand to gift Murray an immediate break back point. And Murray breaks back in some style, scampering all round the court to soak up the Latvian pressure before flicking a running backhand passing shot winner across court to snatch the break back.
- - MURRAY 4-6 1-3 - BREAK! Real trouble for Murray now as he finds himself another three break points down. He saves the first with a 205kph ace out wide but Gulbis breaks on his third attempt at a passing shot, still not good enough to actually pass Murray but good enough to force the error from the Brit, a stretched cross court forehand volley sailing wide to gift the Latvian the break.
- - MURRAY 4-6 1-2 - Gulbis keeps Murray quiet with another very solid service hold, denying the Brit the chance to get any kind of purchase in the game and sneak out in front once more.
- - MURRAY 4-6 1-1 - Gulbis levels at deuce with the one-two punch of a double-handed backhand down the line followed by a forehand winner down the opposite line. But Murray quickly slams down two big serves and gets his second set account underway.
- - MURRAY 4-6 0-1 - Murray pushes Gulbis to deuce but the Latvian produces some great serving to save the game without too much drama, an unreturnable serve being the shot to seal it.
- - MURRAY 4-6 - SET! Gulbis brings up three set points with the best rally of the match so far, absorbing all the pressure Murray can throw at him with some length hitting before eventually dinking a neat forehand drop shot just over the net. Murray saves the first with a huge first serve but the Latvian does take his chance at the second attempt with a brutal cross court forehand return winner.
- - MURRAY 4-5 - A big one-two punch from Gulbis with the big first serve and even bigger forehand winner moving forward to get himself in front in the game before sealing it with an ace out wide. Murray will have to serve to stay in this opening set after the change of ends.
- - MURRAY 4-4 - More comfortable from Murray this time around as he holds for the loss of just the one point, sealing the hold with an ace down the centre of the T. This set reaching crunch point now, heading into the eighth game.
- - MURRAY 3-4 - Gulbis misses another wild ground-stroke to hand Murray two break points. Murray squanders the first, pulling an easily make-able (for him at least) forehand into the top of the net, while the Latvian saves the second with a huge second serve down the centre of the court that Murray can only net. Murray gives his lunging attempted backhand passing shot a bit too much and the Latvian holds.
- - MURRAY 3-3 - Murray content in a couple of rallies just to get the ball back in play and wait for Gulbis to make the mistake, which he does on both occasions. But really it is the serve that gets Murray through the game as he brings up a game point with a big serve out wide, Gulbis slapping his reply wide across court, before a kicker serve seals the game for the Brit.
- - MURRAY 2-3 - A big hold from Gulbis from 0-30 down as he recovers to hold with a big forehand winner and sneak ahead once again. Not too much excitement from this match so far, both players just going through their early match routines and looking to settle into the clash.
- - MURRAY 2-2 - Tougher for Murray this time around as he is pushed to deuce before being able to hold and level up for a second time. But that's exactly what he does when Gulbis goes wide with a twisting forehand across court from the centre mark, the Latvian just running out of space across court.
- - MURRAY 1-2 - Gulbis misses his usually trusted double-hander down the line to allow Murray to level at 30-all (not a good sign for the Latvian) before steadying himself to hold with a big serve that Murray cannot return in play.
- - MURRAY 1-1 - Murray already producing much more zip on his serve that he did yesterday against Granollers as he races through a comfortable opening service hold of his own to get off the mark.
- - MURRAY 0-1 - Gulbis eases through his opening service hold, Murray going for the lob and hitting well long to gift the Latvian the game point.
19:31 - The players are just about ready to go. Gulbis won the toss and opted to serve first, with Murray chosing the end with most sun to begin his receiving.
19:22 - Gulbis and Murray have met five times before with Murray winning on each and every one of those occasions. In fact, only twice has Gulbis even taken a set off Murray, at Queen's way back in 2008 and then in their most recent meeting at the Cincinnati Masters in 2010.
19:15 - Gulbis, on the other hand, has had to come through two very hard matches. He beat Feliciano Lopez 7-6 6-4 in the opening round before being taken to three sets by Fabio Fognini yesterday in the second round, eventually triumphing against the Italian 6-3 1-6 6-1.
19:10 - Murray came through a tough return to the court yesterday against Marcel Granollers, winning in straight sets after a topsy-turvy second set. That was his first match since lifting that Wimbledon trophy exactly a month ago yesterday.
19:03 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from Andy Murray's third round Rogers Cup clash in Montreal. The reigning US and Wimbledon champion takes on tricky Latvian Ernests Gulbis today for a place in the last four.
|Date of Birth||30/08/1988|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|