|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
03:40 - So, Djokovic is through to the quarter-finals where he faces an intriguing clash against seventh seed Richard Gasquet tomorrow.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 6-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Djokovic whips a scintilating backhand passing short across court, just catching the very edge of the line (the out call overturned after a challenge from the Serb) to bring up three match points. The first goes begging when he sends a backhand looping long of the baseline but he seals it at the second attempt with an ace down the centre of the court.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 5-4 - Djokovic's forehand catches the top of the tape and just rolls over to deny Istomin on the first of his two game points, while the Serb also saves the second with a huge forehand that a lunging Istomin can only return well long. Djokovic then enjoys a match point but Istomin saves it with a smash winner across court and Istomin goes on to hold (after five deuces and nearly nine minutes) when Djokovic goes long with a forehand.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 5-3 - A huge injection of pace on a flat forehand from Istomin sees Djokovic net a backhand. And the Uzbek follows that up with an acutely angled backhand passing shot drop shot. But Djokovic holds on from deuce with a massive serve that Istomin can only return long, and it will be Istomin who has to serve to stay in this match next.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 4-3 - BREAK! Djokovic breaks for a second time in this set, ghosting into the net behind a forehand and doing enough to crowd Istomin, who puts his stretched forehand passing shot attempt wide down the line. Djokovic now potentially just two games away from the quarter-finals.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 3-3 - A blink-and-you'll-miss-it service hold from Djokovic slings all the pressure back over the net at Istomin as the world number one levels again before the Uzbek has barely had a chance to catch his breath.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 2-3 - At 1-0 down in this final set, Istomin looked like he was running out of steam in a very fast manner but his spirit has been very impressive as he races through another service hold to sneak out in front once more, albeit it only on serve.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 2-2 - Djokovic stops the run of momentum in Istomin's favour, racing through a much more solid service hold of his own to keep things on track in this final set.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 1-2 - A booming service hold from Istomin, including an ace, continues his impressive comeback from dropping that first game of this final set.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 1-1 - BREAK! Fantastic response from Istomin to going down a break, helped by a couple of errors from Djokovic. The Uzbek runs round the ball and rattles a forehand winner down the line to seal the immediate break back.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 1-0 - BREAK! Djokovic is not too happy with a call from the umpire. But he whips a forehand across court for a winner on the next point to sneak 0-30 ahead. Istomin responds with sensational reach on a forehand volley winner but he can only get the one point back as a forehand long gifts Djokovic two break points. The first goes begging when the Serb sends a ball flying long while Istomin saves the second with a big serve. But he gets a third chance and this time he does break.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 6-4 - SET! Istomin pushes Djokovic to 30-all before the Serb can level the match, taking the second set with a big serve that puts the Uzbek on the back foot right from the start, Istomin eventually netting an attempted forehand down the line to concede.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 5-4 - Istomin is not giving up and returns to more comfortable times on his serve as he posts his most comfortable hold in a while to force Djokovic to serve out this set.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 5-3 - Another quick and easy service hold for Djokovic as he posts a quick game to 15 to keep all the pressure on Istomin, who will have to serve to stay in this second set next.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 4-3 - Istomin's turn now to cling on to a hold to get his side of the scoreboard ticking over once more. The Uzbek bangs down a big serve in towards the body that Djokovic returns into the net and remains just the one break down
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 4-2 - Djokovic is (finally) starting to look comfortable behind his serve now as he races through another comfortale game to consolidate the ealry break in this second set.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 3-2 - BREAK! Djokovic produces an inside-out backhand passing shot winner to level up at 30-all and then nails a series of cross court forehands to draw the error from Istomin to level up at deuce. A very poorly timed double from the Uzbek then hands Djokovic a break point and sure enough he does finally get the break by dinking a forehand drop shot just over the net.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 2-2 - Djokovic enjoys his easiest service game in a while, no, actually, his easiest service game of the whole match. The world number one holds to love with a big serve that Istomin cannot return in play and that sees him level up once more in this second set. Can that be the start of something for Djokovic?
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 1-2 - Djokovic denies Istomin on his first game point, levelling up with a blistering forehand winner that is more like we have come to expect from the world number one. But he can't turn deuce into a break point as he sends a looping forehand long before netting an inside-out forehand return off a second serve. So Istomin remains ahead.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 1-1 - Istomin lets Djokovic off the hook with a forehand right into the bottom of the net to gift the Serb a game point. And it's a point Djokovic takes full advantage of, banging down a big serve that Istomin cannot return in play. Djokovic has finally stopped the rot.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 0-1 - Djokovic misses another forehand down the line early in the game and Istomin takes full advantage sealing another comfortable hold and throwing in an ace on the process. That's five straight games for the Uzbek now.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-6 - SET! Djokovic goes for the forehand winner down the line only to net the ball once again and hand Istomin two set points after just 30 minutes. Istomin nets his forehand on the first after a great defensive forehand at full stretch from Djokovic but the Serb makes an uncharacteristic error on the second, when he easily gets up to the net only to pull his backhand wide across court. Istomin has the first set against Djokovic!
- - DJOKOVIC 2-5 - Istomin produces a injection of pace on a running forehand down the line to bring up two game points before consolidating his break advantage when Djokovic nets yet another forehand. The Uzbek is now potentially just one game away from taking the opening set against the world number one.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-4 - BREAK! Well, well, Istomin fashions a break point with a huge backhand winner down the line after Djokovic had given him a way into the game with a mis-hit cross court forehand error. The Serb saves it when Istomin hits long but the Serb then squanders two game points, one with a backhand long and the second with a netted backhand. Another couple of errors from the Serb then hands Istomin another chance to break. And this time he does get it when Nole slaps down a double fault.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-3 - Another Istomin service game is over in double-quick time as he holds for the loss of just the one point with his first ace of the night.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-2 - Djokovic races through another blink-and-you'll-miss-it service hold to level up again. There's not too much atmosphere just yet in this match as the arena remains pretty empty from the people who left for a drink/food after the Raonic clash. They are slowly starting to filter back in though.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-2 - Istomin is holding his own in the early stages of this match, posting another speedy service hold which he seals with a forehand winner. This is a very positive start from the Uzbek.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-1 - Djokovic is equally emphatic in his opening service game, throwing in an ace for good measure to show Istomin there is no sign of fatigue after playing his first match in six weeks just a couple of nights ago.
- - DJOKOVIC 0-1 - Istomin opens with an unreturnable first serve before racing through his first service game of the match in double-quick time to get his side of the scoreboard ticking over.
01:24 - So Djokovic and Istomin are just about ready to go and it will be the Uzbek to get the clash underway by serving first ...
01:20 - Istomin and Djokovic are led out on to court, the Uzbek first followed a couple of minutes later by the Serb, both of them led out by a little kid with a tube of match balls as is the tradition in Montreal.
01:13 - Djokovic and Istomin have met twice before with the world number one, unsurprisingly leading the head-to-heads by two wins to zero. In fact, Istomin has so far even failed to get a set off Djokovic.
01:08 - From 3-4 and a break down, Raonic has stormed back taking the next three straight games to beat sixth seed Juan Martin Del Potro 7-5 6-4, meaning Djokovic and Istomin will actually be on court sooner than expected.
00:49 - This match was due to get underway in about 10 minutes time but with the previous match between Juan Martin Del Potro and Milos Raonic only mid-way through the second set, it's still going to be a while before we see Djokovic and Istomin take to the court.
00:47 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage of defending champion Novak Djokovic's third round Rogers Cup clash against Uzbek Denis Istomin.
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||07/09/1986|