|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 6-0 - GAME, SET & MATCH! The reigning champion marches into round three in just over an hour's play by breaking Voskoboeva with a mix of power and guile to clinch a second set bagel on her first match point.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 5-0 - It's all over bar the shouting. Williams appears to be cruising but a mini blip almost allows Galina back in. But a thumping serve at 40-30 is enough to put her within sight of a bagel.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 4-0 - BREAK - Serena is racing through this second set. At 30-30 Galina miss-hits a forehand into the net and this time Williams makes the break point count at the first time of asking.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 3-0 - Another strong finish on her serve ensures the World Number One consolidates the break. We are just approaching the hour mark here and you can't see it going on much longer than the 75-minute mark.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 2-0 - BREAK - Serena takes a big stranglehold on this contest after racing into a 0-40 lead. She can't make the first one count but an error by Galina gifts her the break and it looks like a long way back for the underdog now.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 1-0 - A very solid service game gets Williams off to a flyer in the second set. She looks like a woman eager to get this wrapped up ASAP.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 - SET - Serena pushes her opponent to deuce and piles on the pressure by forcing a forehand error to grab a set point. However, Voskoboeva refuses to give up and both players trade blows, with a superb 16-shot rally the highlight of the game. Eventually the reigning champion claims a second set point and makes it count. 'COME ON!' she screams.
- - WILLIAMS 5-3 - The home favourite races into a 40-0 lead but a mid-game pause for Voskoboeva to adjust her cap appears to affect the champ's concentration. Galina battles back and a triple deuce ensues before Williams' power secures the game after a sublime drop shot from the Kazakhstan ace dips just short of the net.
- - WILLIAMS 4-3 - Galina holds serve with some determined play.
- - WILLIAMS 4-2 - The world number one makes the break count with a robust service game. It was an impressive start from Voskoboeva but this is a real test of her now in front of the American crowd.
- - WILLIAMS 3-2 - BREAK - Serena hollers a rallying cry to snare two break points before securing the game on the first one when Galina fizzes a hurried shot long.
- - WILLIAMS 2-2 - Voskoboeva pushes Serena all the way on her serve, taking it to deuce before eventually being undone by a trademark Williams ace. Is that the greatest serve Women's tennis has ever seen? It must be up there.
- - WILLIAMS 1-2 - Voskoboeva showing she won't be a pushover on her own serve. She has some real power on her forehand that Williams can't quite cope with on this occasion, as the American fires a shot on the run way out on the far left-hand side.
- - WILLIAMS 1-1 - The reigning champ is just too good, easing to a routine service success with an ace to finish off. It was a mix of power and accuracy that Voskoboeva had no answer to.
- - WILLIAMS 0-1 - Voskoboeva takes the first set to 30. Ranked 77 in the world, the Kazakhstani overcomes early nerves to take the game when Williams hits a return long.
- - So, the defending champion finally takes to the court a day later than originally scheduled. Voskoboeva to serve first.
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||18/12/1984|