|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - It was always going to be a tough match against the in-form Simona Halep but in the end the lack of match practice, due to that glandular fever, caught up with Watson. Next up for the Romanian will be tennage Croat Donna Vekic, after she beat Mariana Duque Marino 7-6 4-6 6-2 earlier today. Women's drawsheet.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 2-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Watson bounces her racquet off the court in frustration after netting a forehand return to help fashion three match points for Halep. The first goes begging with a double fualt. But the Romanian does secure the win at the second attempt when Halep produces a great second serve that Watson can only return wide across court.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 2-5 - Much better from Watson as she adds at least one more game to her tally with a vicious forehand down the line followed by an easy forehand volley to end the rally. Halep will still serve for the match after the change of ends...
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 1-5 - Watson looks as though she is starting to cramp now as Halep holds to consolidate the double break and leave herself potentially just one game away from the second round. Watson groans as she misses a forehand down the line before the Romanian seals the game with a forehand winner of her own. Watson will serve to keep this match alive, next.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 1-4 - BREAK! Another poor service game from Watson, and three straight errors including another double fault, help Halep to re-establish her double break lead in this final set.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 1-3 - BREAK! Halep is left swiping her racquet at the court in frustration as Watson makes a trip up to the net, guesses right on Halep's attempted passing shot and dniks a forehand volley back over the net.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 0-3 - BREAK! A second straight service game goes the way of Halep as Watson goes for the big winners early in the rally (a sign of fatigue perhaps) only to miss with a forehand
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 0-2 - Halep is clearly growing in confidence at the start of this third set as she batters an ace down the centre of the court to hold and consolidate the early break.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 0-1 - BREAK! Another great point ends with a Halep winner as she slowly but surely takes control of this match. The Romanian produces a forehand winner to seal the game after Watson had slapped down yet another double fault.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-6 - SET! This match will go the distance as Halep takes the second set with a big forehand down the line that Watson can only return long. That was Halep's second set point, the Romanian squandered the first with a forehand long of her own.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-5 - BREAK! Watson nets a forehand to allow Halep to level at deuce after she looked to be cruising. A forehand long then hands Halep a break point which she has to do nothing to secure as Watson slaps down a double fault. Halep will serve after the change of ends to push this match to a third set.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-4 - Halep clings on to her service despite dropping the first point of the game. The Romanian holds on with a very gutsy point and a trip into the net for a forehand drive volley winner.
- - WATSON 6-4 4-3 - A better service game again from Watson as she holds to 30 after another error from the Halep racquet on the forehand wing specifically. A huge service game coming up for Halep now as she looks to stick with Watson late in this second set.
- - WATSON 6-4 3-3 - BREAK! A double fault and a couple of forehand errors from Halep and Watson has immediate break back points. The first goes begging with a forehand long across court while the second nis squandered with a lofted forehand long. But Halep hands Watson a third chance and this time the Brit does get back on level terms with a change-of-direction forehand winner down the line.
- - WATSON 6-4 2-3 - BREAK! A double fault from Watson does not help her cause as it hands Halep a break point. And this time, finally the Romanian does get the breakthrough she's been seeking - Watson's forehand letting her down for the first time really as she goes wide down the line.
- - WATSON 6-4 2-2 - Halep holds to love when Watson lofts a forehand long of the baseline to put all the pressure back over the net on the Brit.
- - WATSON 6-4 2-1 - A fourth double from Watson hands Halep another two break points. Watson saves the first with a forehand volley winner dinked into the open court and then the second with a huge forehand winner off the baseline. And from there Watson goes on to hold when Halep sends a forehand long.
- - WATSON 6-4 1-1 - A confident hold from Halep to get her account ticking over again. The Romanian took a lengthy bathroom break after the end of that first set.
- - WATSON 6-4 1-0 - Once again it is Watson that's the aggressor as she races around the baseline before firing down a smash winner to hold to 15 for the first game of the second set.
- - WATSON 6-4 - SET! Watson does enough with a last-ditch defensive backhand lob to draw the forehand drive volley into the net from Halep and level up at 30-all before fashioning a set point with a huge forehand down the line that the Romanian can only return short of the net. And Watson does take the first set with some more length hitting that eventually draws the error from Halep - a forehand into the net.
- - WATSON 5-4 - BREAK! Watson nets a high forehand, looking to go across court, to hand Halep an immediate break back point. She then sends a forehand long to concede her break advantage for the second time in the match, although Halep will still have to serve to stay in it after the change of ends.
- - WATSON 5-3 - BREAK! Watson gets down really low to a backhand that Halep cannot return in play to bring up three more break points. A vicious second serve down the T from the Romanian saves the first but she can do nothing about the second, twisting on a forehand and pulling it wide across court. Watson will serve for this opening set.
- - WATSON 4-3 - Watson squanders a game point by pulling a forehand wide across court but does hold to 30 with a huge serve that Halep can only return into the net.
- - WATSON 3-3 - Halep eases through her service hold to level up once more, the Romanian has a huge serve and finds her first ace in the game as well for good measure.
- - WATSON 3-2 - Watson saves two more break points, the first when Halep hits into the net and then the second with a series of huge forehands, eventually pushing the Romanian far enough out of position to find the winner down the line. And from there the Brit goes on to hold and stop Halep's building momentum.
- - WATSON 2-2 - Halep doing good work off the forehand wing in particular as she belatedly gets her first service hold with a winner down the line.
- - WATSON 2-1 - BREAK! Not such a great game from Watson as she is broken back immediately - a forehand into the net from the Brit conceding the game from 30-0 up. A lack of matches and a lack of confidence just showing through in that game there.
- - WATSON 2-0 - BREAK! Another huge forehand winner followed by a backhand winner down the from Watson and she has clearly come out on court in a very aggressive manner today. Another forehand winner, this time on the return after backing away from the ball, and Watson has two early break points. She only needs the one though as she finds the back edge of the line with a forehand that Halep can on send wide down the line off the backhand wing.
- - WATSON 1-0 - A fantastic opening point from Watson as she bangs down a first serve followed by an inside out forehand winner. A forehand winner from Halep followed by a double fault from Watson don't help the Brit's cause but she levels up at 30-all with a cross court forehand winner and then also saves a break point with a big first serve down the T that Halep can only net. From there she goes on to hold when Halep nets a forehand.
- - The players are just about ready to go and it will be Watson to get the clash underway by serving first ...
- - We're going to move over to focus on Heather Watson's opening clash against the in-form Simona Halep, who won the tournament in New Haven last week
|Date of Birth||19/05/1992|
|Date of Birth||27/09/1991|