|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - VINCI 4-6 1-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Pennetta reaches her first ever Grand slam semi-final where she will face either Hantuchova or Azarenka. A keenly-contested final game sees her wrap up the victory at 30-40 with a stunning lob. She was just too good for her big pal today and completed the job in one hour and five minutes.
- - VINCI 4-6 1-5 - Pennetta is one game away from the semi finals. That first serve has been a big weapon for her today and after racing into a 40-0 lead she thunders a rasping backhand right down the line.
- - VINCI 4-6 1-4 - That was more like it from Vinci and just what she needed. A service game to love gives her a smidgen of hope. She needs to take that momentum into this next game and claw back one of those breaks. It's a tall order but her US Open run hinges on it.
- - VINCI 4-6 0-4 - Pennetta edges closer to a first ever Grand Slam semi final. A thumping overhead smash puts her in control at 40-30 and another searing forehand forces Vinci to fire long. Surely there's no way back for the 10th seed now?
- - VINCI 4-6 0-3 - BREAK! How Vinci could do with an easy service game. Pennetta has got the bit between her teeth and sets up her 10th break point of the match at 30-40. Vinci forces it to deuce but an angled backhand gives her another chance and this time she takes it in style. A double break and you have to fancy Pennetta to see this out from here. She is so dominant out there.
- - VINCI 4-6 0-2 - Pennetta is too strong at the moment. She continues to keep the rallies running that bit longer causing her opponent to make the errors. A strong first serve seals the game to 15.
- - VINCI 4-6 0-1 - BREAK! A dreadful start to the second set for the favourite who has clocked up almost twice the number of unforced errors as her compatriot. If Pennetta can hold her opener next, it'll look rather bleak for Vinci unless she can find some more consistency.
- - VINCI - 4-6 - SET! A wonderful game of tennis. Pennetta works her way into a winning position but some fantastic net coverage sees Vinci save two set points. The number 10 seed then wastes two chances to break before being overpowered twice at the net. First blood to Pennetta.
- - VINCI 4-5 - BREAK! Vinci gets into trouble on her serve once again but rallies to save break point. Pennetta won't give up though and thunders a wonderful winner down the line before Vinci again misfires a shot long to give her good friend another gift. Pennetta to serve for the first set.
- - VINCI 4-4 - BREAK! The number 10 seed has hit some real beauties down the line today and a well executed volley helps her set up two break points. A forehand into the net denies her the first but Pennetta follows suit just seconds later to gift her the break and the leveller.
- - Vinci 3-4 - Vinci looks really unsettled when serving and her compatriot looks to take full advantage by clocking up a triple break point. Vinci saves all three with some fine volleying before a clever slice helps her deny Pennetta for a fourth time. With a renewed confidence Vinci pulls off a clever dropshot and then seals a dramatic hold with a fine winner. That was tough going, but she's still in there, just the one break behind.
- - Vinci 2-4 - Pennetta consolidates the break with a service game to love as Vinci fires long. Both players have been guilty of some wayward attempts at winners so far which may be due to the windy conditions. That was the first time one of the players had held serve at that top part of the court.
- - Vinci 2-3 - BREAK! Vinci makes a bright start but a slack back hand at 30-30 gives Pennetta another break point. The 10th seed works her way into a winning position to level but fires well wide with an attempted forehand to gift her opponent another break.
- - VINCI 2-2 - Pennetta responds with a service game to love. The 31-year-old executes a brilliant volley at the net to seal it after a combination of strong serves and some miscued shots from her opponent put her in control.
- - VINCI 2-1 - The number 10 seed has found her rhythm now and holds serve with ease, firing a sweeping forehand across court to take the game to 15.
- - VINCI 1-1 - BREAK! A really mixed start to this game for the server. Pennetta gets off to a flyer with a delicious lob in the first point. But Vinci hits back to set up an opportunity to break at 30-40. Pennetta buckles and hits a tame second serve into the net to double fault and hand her good friend an immediate break back.
- - VINCI 0-1 - BREAK! The seed endures a difficult first service game and feels the pressure at 30-40. Pennetta hits a strong return on the second serve and after a brief rally Vinci fires a forehand into the net.
- - Both players are more known for their ability in doubles. Vinci has won three of the four Slams as part of a pair. Wimbledon is the only doubles title to have eluded her. Pennetta is also a Grand Slam doubles champion after winning the Australian Open in 2011. She was also a US Open doubles finalist in 2005.
- - Vinci and Pennetta are out on Arthur Ashe running through their warm up. Italy will be represented in the last four - but which player will it be? Vinci will be favourite given her seeding, but Pennetta has already shown she has no qualms being the underdog in this tournament.
|Date of Birth||18/02/1983|
|Date of Birth||25/02/1982|