No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Azarenka is back in the US Open final, which she also reached last year, but will it be a complete repeat of the 2012 title match? World number one and defending champion Serena Williams takes on Li Na in the second semi-final coming up next.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 6-2 - GAME, SET & MATCH! A forehand drive volley winner across court from Azarenka brings up three match points... Pennetta saves the first with a trip into the net and a backhand stop volley winner and the second with a blistering forehand return winner down the line and right onto the baseline. But Azarenka does wrap things up at the third attempt with an inside-out forehand winner across court, back behind Pennetta.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 5-2 - BREAK! Pennetta easily gets up to a poor drop shot from Azarenka and has all the time in the world to put her forehand reply away but she just rushes it and nets the cross court shot instead. Another netted forehand, this time from the baseline, and Azarenka has re-established the double break. The world number two will serve for a place in the final after the change of ends.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 4-2 - BREAK! Pennetta only narrowly misses a bakchand return down the line to gift Azarenka the second point of the game before mis-hitting a cross court forehand well wide across court to hand the Belarusian two more hold points. Pennetta denies her on both before Azarenka saves a break point with a series of brutal cross court backhands. But the Italian gets another chance and this time she does secure one of the breaks back when Azarenka nets a backhand.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 4-1 - BREAK! Things are getting away from Pennetta quickly now as she sends a backhand approach shot long down the line to hand Azarenka three more break points. The world number two only needs the one though as she dismisses an easy Pennetta lob, waiting for it to bounce and drilling her backhand down the centre of the court for the winner.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 3-1 - Azarenka holds for just the second time. But she holds it to 15 in a much more aggressive manner, sealing the hold with a trip into the net with a forehand cross court drive volley winner.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 2-1 - BREAK! Pennetta finds the first ace of the match, from either woman, but it is still not enough to secure a hold of serve as Azarenka finds a sensational angle on a cross court forehand to bring up another break point, which she takes advantage of when Pennetta nets a forehand. The Italian has held serve just the once so far in this match, in seven attempts.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 1-1 - BREAK! Pennetta comes out on top of a 20-plus shot rally when Azarenka pulls a forehand wide across court. It hands the Italian an immediate break back point and a backhand long from Azarenka sees her concede her serve.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 1-0 - BREAK! Pennetta drops the first point of the set with a forehand error before battling back to lead 30-15. But she can't quite hold off Azarenka and the Belarusian fashions another break point. Sure enough Azarenka does break yet again when Pennetta sends a forehand wide across court.
- - AZARENKA 6-4 - SET! A fifth double fault squanders a fourth set point for Azarenka, while Pennetta saves a fifth with an injection of pace on a forehand down the line followed by an easy forehand winner across court. Pennetta does brilliantly well to chase down a cross court drop shot from Azarenka, who is waiting to put her follow-up forehand volley across court and bring up a sixth set point. And this time she does secure it with a better first serve that Pennetta can only net in return.
- - AZARENKA 5-4 40-40 - Pennetta is so assured up at the net and makes the trip in to get off the mark at 15-30 before another Azarenka forehand error helps her level at 30-all. A netted forehand from the Italian gifts Azarenka a set point but Pennetta dismissively thumps a forehand return winner to deny the Belarusian. Pennetta also denies Azarenka on a second with an incredible backhand down the line from well outside the court. A forehand error squanders a third chance for Azarenka...
- - AZARENKA 5-4 - BREAK! Azarenka lets out another screech of frustration as she nets a forehand volley despite having the whole court to aim at. The Italian nets a backhand on the run to allow Azarenka to level at deuce before slapping down a double fault to give her opponent yet another break point. She saves it with a great cross court forehand followed by a forehand drop shot and forehand cross court volley winner. Azarenka breaks at the second attempt though and will serve for the opening set.
- - AZARENKA 4-4 - BREAK! Azarenka lets out a squeal of frustration when she nets a low backhand volley after doing everything right in the build up. A couple of points later and a dipping double-handed backhand right to the feet of Azarenka up at the net, brings up another break back point for Pennetta. And surprise, surprise, break is exactly what Pennetta does as Azarenka sends a cross court backhand long.
- - AZARENKA 4-3 - BREAK! Azarenka comes forward once again, forcing Pennetta to go for the lob. This time the Italian puts her forehand long and it's another break point to the Belarusian. Sure enough it's a fifth break of serve, although the first game won from that end of the court with the wind, when Pennetta's regulation forehand catches the top of the tape and fails to go over.
- - AZARENKA 3-3 - BREAK! There's a long delay to get hawkeye working after a late call of out on a cross court backhand from Pennetta. The call was over-ruled by umpire Mariana Alves but it was out. Then Azarenka challenges on the next point but is shown to have hit a third double fault. There's nothing to challenge about her fourth double on the next point and a forehand goes long to hand Pennetta two break back points. Another forehand error, this time across court, hands Pennetta the break.
- - AZARENKA 3-2 - BREAK! A brutal backhand down the line from Azarenka followed by a backhand drive volley winner, as well as an injection of pace on a forehand down the line and another trip into the net and the Belrrusian has another two break points. She only needs the one though, another agressive forehand, this time across court, drawing the error from Pennetta.
- - AZARENKA 2-2 - Sensational point from Pennetta as she dictates play from the baseline, moving Azarenka around before thumping an angled backhand winner across court. But Azarenka holds for the first time by working her way up to the net, drop shotting Pennetta and putting an easy backhand volley across into the open court.
- - AZARENKA 1-2 - Pennetta drops the first point of the game again but recovers with a forehand lob winner on the next point. Still Azarenka earns herself two more break points when Pennetta goes for too much on a backhand across court and pulls the ball wide. The Italian saves the first with a big serve and then also the second in the same manner. A forehand long from Azarenka hands Pennetta a game point. And a drop shot winner seals it for the Italian.
- - AZARENKA 1-1 - BREAK! The world number two slaps down her first double fault of the day to hand Pennetta two immediate break back points. But the Italian only needs the one, breaking back with a magnificent point as she races up to the net to a forehand drop shot followed by a backhand volley and a sliced backhand passing shot winner down the line. Back on serve in this opening set.
- - AZARENKA 1-0 - BREAK! Pennetta is slightly unlucky to send a forehand long after getting Azarenka moving during a long rally to open the match. But the Belarusian starts moving quickly and fashions three break points with a blistering forehand return. Pennetta saves the first with a great first serve and then the second with a sliced backhand drop shot and reaction backhand volley winner. But Azarenka does break at the third attempt when Pennetta nets a backhand.
- - The players are just about ready to go and it will be Pennetta to get the clash underway by serving first...
- - These two have met each other twice before, albeit not for a couple of years. The head-to-heads are split evenly at one win apeice. Azarenka won their first meeting in Stuttgart on the clay in straight sets before Pennetta struck back a year later on the hard court in Dubai. That one went to three sets, Pennetta surviving a second set tie-break that went the way of Azarenka before bouncing back to win that one.
- - Azarenka, meanwhile, has come past Dinah Pfizenmaier, Aleksandra Wozniack, Alize Cornet, Ana Ivanovic and Daniela Hantuchova to reach this stage.
- - Azarenka is currently ranked number two in the world while Pennetta is further down at 84 in the world. But Pennetta has beaten the world number four Sara Errani already as well as Svetlana Kuznetsova, in-form Simona Halep and compatriot Roberta Vinci.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage of the first of the women's semi-finals, between last year's beaten finalist Victoria Azarenka and unseeded Italian Flavia Pennetta.
|Date of Birth||25/02/1982|
|Date of Birth||31/07/1989|