|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Next up for defending champ Serena will be a fourth round clash against compatriot Sloane Stephens, who beat her at the Australian Open at the beginning of the year. So that promises to be an intriguing match. Women's drawsheet.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 6-1 - GAME, SET & MATCH! A first match point goes begging for Serena as she nets a backhand having done all the hard work. She quickly gets a second chance after a backhand drops just wide from Shvedova but this one goes begging on a forehand long from the American. A third chance is not far behind and this time Serena does wrap up the match when Shvedova goes just long with a high forehand volley/low smash.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 5-1 - A great, sliced forehand drop shot from Williams is just to much for Shvedova to get to in time but the American clearly thinks she's not quite timed it right as she hangs her head and does not move after hitting the ball. It brings up game point but that goes begging on a cross court forehand wide. A inside-out backhand wide across court from Shvedova gives Serena a second game point though and this time she does consolidate the break, leaving the Kazak serving to stay in it.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 4-1 - BREAK! A tight smash error from Shvdeova shows how tricky it is to player against the world numer one. I t hands her a break point and Williams takes full advantage with a foreahand winner rattled over the net. That's a double break in this second set and surely the match gone with it for Yaroslava Shvedova.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 3-1 - Back-to-back aces from Serena help her post another comforatble service hold to maintain her break advatage and continue her march towards the fourth roun/
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 2-1 - Shvedova rushes a forehand follow-up to her serve and pulls down on it, resulting on the ball into the net. She also does the same on the next ball as well allowing Serena to level at deuce but the Kazakh goes on to hold from there to get her side of the scoreboard ticking over once more.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 2-0 - A double fault from Williams followed by some great length hitting from Shvedova, eventually drawing the cross court forehand wide from the American, and the Kazakh has a break back point. Serena saves it with an ace though before also bring up game point with another ace. Serena then holds for 2-0 when Shvedova just misses with a running, flicked backhand across court.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 1-0 - BREAK! Shvedova is playing at the very outer limits of her ability and as a result her game breaks down right in the first game of the second set, three errors helping Williams to an early break.
- - WILLIAMS 6-3 - SET! Williams earns herself two set points with a very lucky forehand volley approach shot. She fails to put the ball away and instead swipes down it, the ball catching the top of the tape and only just marginally beating Shvedova for pace. A backhand return into the net from Shvedova and that is the first set for the defending champion.
- - WILLIAMS 5-3 - Serena is simply relentless and quickly fashions a first set point. The chance goes begging after some great depth from Shvedova (Williams netting a forehand as she desperately back tracks) and the Kazakh goes on to hold after consecutive forehand returns long from the American. Serena will serve for the set next but holding there is fair for the Kazakh, who has actually done very little wrong so far in this match.
- - WILLIAMS 5-2 - Shvedova rattles a forehand winner down the line to help put the pressure on the Serena serve at 30-all but a forehand just long hands Williams a game point and a backhand return into the net concedes the game. That consolidates the break for Williams and leaves the Kazakh serving to stay in this opening set.
- - WILLIAMS 4-2 - BREAK! Serena works her way into the net and fires off a high forehand volley winner across court to bring up another three break points. This time though she only needs the one, pushing Shvedova wide with a forehand that the Kazak can only return into the net.
- - WILLIAMS 3-2 - Williams lets out a groan of frustration when she nets a forehand on the second point of the game to gift Shvedova a point. But the American quickly rights the wrong and goes on to hold without the loss of another point, whipping a forehand winner across court to take the game.
- - WILLIAMS 2-2 - Despite playing extremely well Shvedova still finds herself staring at a break point in just this third game. She saves it with a well-placed serve out wide that Williams can only return long across court before going on to hold when Serena sends first a forehand and then a backhand long. Williams is just over-hitting the ball a little at the moment.
- - WILLIAMS 2-1 - Shvedova has come out on court tonight, clearly determined to go after the Williams game and levels at 30-all with a huge forehand return and series of increasingly angled cross court forehand's until Williams nets a ball. She then pushes Serena to deuce but a backhand error and then a forehand into the net and the world number one has the hold.
- - WILLIAMS 1-1 - Shvedova looks good as she eases out to a 30-0 lead only to be pegged back by Williams with a backhand cross court winner. But some smart serving from the Kazak sees her hold from 30-all without the loss of another point.
- - WILLIAMS 1-0 - Williams drops the first point of the match when Shvedova pushes her wide with a cracking cross court forehand, drawing the forehand error into the net from the American. But from there it is straight-forward for Williams as she holds without the loss of another point.
- - The players are just about ready to go - it's 11.50pm in NYC - and it will be Serena Williams to get the clash underway by serving first ...
- - These two have faced each other twice before with Serena winning both. Their first clash on the hard courts in Toronto was a straight sets affair in favour of the American, but Shvedova bounced back to at least take a set off the world number one at Wimbledon last year.
- - It's 11.30pm in New York just now and world number one Serena Williams will have to quickly get herself ready to take to the court for her third round match against Kazakhstan's Yaroslava Shvedova. That will be our next match, coming up in about 15 minutes time.
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||12/09/1987|