|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - The victory ensures Nadal will end the year as the world number one. It wasn't vintage stuff from the Spaniard but he took advantage of Wawrinka's inability to make his chances count. Rafa marches on to the semi finals leaving Wawrinka to fight it out with Berdych and Ferrer to claim the other qualifying spot in Group A.
- - NADAL 7-6 7-6 (8-6) - GAME, SET & MATCH! Nadal races into a commanding 3-0 lead in the tie break but is soon pegged back by the resilient Wawrinka who just refuses to lie down. The Swiss ace has a chance to tee up set point on his own serve but powers a forehand wide. It allows Nadal another bite at it and he holds his serves before securing the match when Wawrinka fires into the net.
- - NADAL 7-6 6-6 - TIE BREAK! A second tie break looms as Wawrinka continues to mix brilliance with unforced errors. A woeful volley at the net and a double fault offer Nadal a sniff of a chance at 30-30. But an epic rally of 28 shots then sees the Spaniard slice long before the Swiss hammers down an ace to level it up.
- - NADAL 7-6 6-5 - Nadal holds serve but Wawrinka made him work for it. The Spaniard looked in complete control as he surged 40-0 up. But two moments of genius from the world number eight got him back in contention before Nadal made sure of the game with a fine serve. Quite possibly Rafa's best service game of the match despite dropping two points.
- - NADAL 7-6 5-5 - Superb play from Stan the Man. Nadal gets ahead to heap pressure on his serve but Wawrinka responds by taking the next four points, flashing a stunning winner down the line to seal the game.
- - NADAL 7-6 5-4 - This has been such a closely-fought contest with both players mixing the sublime with the not-so-sublime. At 30-15 Rafa miscues a forehand so badly, it's quite possibly a contender for the worst shot he has hit all year. Not to be outdone, Wawrinka fires long after dominating the following rally before netting a routine forehand to give the Spanish star the edge.
- - NADAL 7-6 4-4 - We're all-square in this second set. A purple patch has seen Wawrinka take 11 of the last 14 points. A great recovery from the Swiss who had looked dead and buried at 4-1.
- - NADAL 7-6 4-3 - BREAK! Finally, Wawrinka gets some reward for his adventurous approach on the Nadal serve. At 15-40 he dominates from the baseline before snaring the break by coming forward and dispatching a volley at the net via the cord.
- - NADAL 7-6 4-2 - With the match disappearing on his horizon, Wawrinka is able to play freely and easily serves out to love. It's shame he hasn't been able to play like that in the moments of real pressure.
- - NADAL 7-6 4-1 - Wawrinka just can't make his opportunities count. At 30-30 Nadal's attempted winner is called out, despite replays showing otherwise. It allows the Swiss the chance to break but he tightens up again and fires a forehand too long. As has been the pattern throughout, Rafa doesn't need asking twice and wins the next two points to consolidate his initial break.
- - NADAL 7-6 3-1 - BREAK! You get the feeling Wawrinka is battling himself just as much as Nadal here. He keeps getting into good situations but somehow fails to convert. Maybe it's a mental thing given his poor record against the world number one. A shocking first point blunder puts him on the backfoot and Nadal racks up three break points. A wayward forehand gifts Nadal the game on his second. It's a long way back now.
- - NADAL 7-6 2-1 - A superb start to the game goes south for Wawrinka. The world number eight shows great athleticism to reach a Nadal volley at the net and tee up two break points. But the old demons return to haunt him as he gets over-eager with two attempted winners and hands Rafa the reprieve. The Spain ace seizes the opportunity and sees it out to hold serve. Psychologically that wasn't great for Stan.
- - NADAL 7-6 1-1 - Wawrinka uses his anger to good effect, romping through his service game to love.
- - NADAL 7-6 1-0 - A game rife with surprising errors eventually goes the way of Nadal. The Spaniard looked like making short work of a forlorn Wawrinka but a woeful volley at 30-15 gave the Swiss hope. Another Nadal forehand long takes the game to deuce before the world number one eventually comes through. Both players getting a bit agitated out there with Stan the man commenting that Rafa was taking too long between points.
- - NADAL 7-6 (7-5) SET! So, so close for Wawrinka. At 5-5 on the Nadal serve he appears to have the Spaniard. But a magnificent defensive shot stuns the Swiss number two and he fires his next forehand long. Nadal then takes advantage of Stan's trip near the net to fire a winner into the empty court to break and claim the set.
- - NADAL 6-6 - TIE BREAK! Nadal drops the first point on his serve but finally ends his mini slump with some robust play. Wawrinka flaps at an attempted backhand down the line and Rafa sees it out to 15. Tie break time.
- - NADAL 5-6 - Wawrinka is on fire at just the right moment. Some big serving puts him in control and he claims the game to love with a backhand volley across court at the net. The pressure is right back on Nadal. Seven points in a row for the Swiss number two.
- - NADAL 5-5 - BREAK! A surprise twist! Wawrinka's biggest weapon is that backhand and he produces when it matters most to restore parity in this first set. Nadal has no answer to Stan the man's determination and he forces the break with a thumping forehand.
- - NADAL 5-4 - Relatively routine for Wawrinka who finds form with his serve just in time to see out the game to 15. Rafa to serve for the first set.
- - NADAL 5-3 - A big wobble for Nadal as Stan dominates the rallies with some clever tactical approach play. The Swiss star grabs a break point with a thunderous backhand winner but then miscues to give Rafa a reprieve. More magic from the underdog sees him snare another break point with a belter down the line but again he can't convert. Nadal digs deep and benefits from some unforced errors from his opponent to finally see out the game.
- - NADAL 4-3 - At 0-30 Wawrinka looks on the verge of capitulation. But to his credit, the world number eight battles back and saves a break point to force deuce. An exquisite volley at the net puts him in front and he gets himself back in the contest when Nadal returns his powerful first serve long.
- - NADAL 4-2 - The man from the Balearics is in the groove, showing finesse along with the element of surprise. It's too good for Wawrinka who has no answer as Nadal takes it to love, although Stan's final shot appeared in. The Swiss star should have challenged.
- - NADAL 3-2 - BREAK! Wawrinka is ultimately punished for his low first serve percentage, allowing Rafa to attack at will. A forehand into the net gives the world number a scent of a break and despite a well-worked overhead, Wawrinka offers up two chances when he completely miscues a looping shot down the line. Stan saves one with a superb ace before a double fault hands Nadal the initiative.
- - NADAL 2-2 - Too good from Rafa. Whenever the Spanish ace is on the backfoot he responds with wonderful anticipation. Wawrinka gets a glimmer of hope when Nadal fires into the net at 40-0 but it's a brief respite as the Swiss star slams an unforced error into the net.
- - NADAL 1-2 - A long forehand puts Wawrinka under immediate pressure on his serve but he responds with a thumping winner before Nadal fires long. The Swiss number two gets lucky when Nadal's approach shot down the line deflects off the net and out - and then outpowers the Spaniard to complete an impressive first couple of games.
- - NADAL 1-1 - A nervy opening on his first couple of serves suggest Rafa may not find it so easy but he steps it up at 15-15 to take the next three points with relative ease.
- - NADAL 0-1 - A great opening service game from Stan who eases through the gears to take it to love. A thumping backhand winner across court confirms the perfect start.
- - Here we go then. Wawrinka to get us underway.
14.14 - The players have finished the warm up and we are just moments away from the start of what promises to be an intriguing match.
14.11 - Speaking ahead of the match, Wawrinka was hopeful he can improve his shocking record against Nadal. He said: "I think it's the best surface to play him, for sure. For sure he's a much better player than me. He's No. 1 in the world. He's had an incredible year. It doesn't matter if I play him indoors or outdoors, it's going to be a tough match for me."
14.08 - The coin toss reveals that Wawrinka will serve first. And with the formalities out of the way, it's time for the warm up.
14.06 - Rafa needs just one more win to secure the world number one end of year ranking and to become the first player to ever achieve the feat having previously lost the ranking.
14.04 - The 'heartbeat' echoes around the 02 arena as both players make their way towards the court. Wawrinka is first up... and now here comes Nadal to rapturous applause.
14.02 - This is the fourth time Nadal and Wawrinka have faced each other this year with the Spaniard triumphing on each of the previous three occasions. In fact, the world number one leads the head-to-head 11-0.
14.00 - This is the second round-robin match at this tournament for both players, with each of them boasting a win apiece from their opening encounters. Nadal made short work of David Ferrer while Wawrinka edged Tomas Berdych in a pulsating three-set affair.
13.55 - Good afternoon and welcome to our LIVE coverage of the Group A showdown between Rafael Nadal and Stanislas Wawrinka at the ATP World Tour finals.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||28/03/1985|