No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH - AZARENKA 6-1 6-0 MEUSBURGER - Meusburger opens the game with back-to-back double faults before slicing a backhand into the top of the net to hand Azarenka three match points. The first goes begging when Azarenka nets an off-balance backhand. But she gets the job done at the second attempt with a forehand drive volley winner into the open court.
- - AZARENKA 6-1 5-0 MEUSBURGER - Totally ruthless from Azarenka as she races up to the net to fire off a forehand drive volley winner and bring up three more game points. The world number two then wraps up the game with a big serve out wide that Meusburger can only return wide, and the Austrian will have to serve to stay in the match after the change of ends.
- - BREAK - AZARENKA 6-1 4-0 MEUSBURGER - Three more break points quickly come the way of Azarenka as she continues to dominate and that's 13 points in a row to the Belarusian. Meusburger stops that rot with a brutal forehand right on to the baseline, Azarenka not quite able to control her half volley down the line before a trip into the net and a backhand drive volley winner save a second game point. But it doesn't stop Azarenka as she breaks at the third attempt with a big forehand.
- - AZARENKA 6-1 3-0 MEUSBURGER - Azarenka only really has to worry about her own concentration now as she cruises through a love service hold to consolidate the early break in this second set. The second seed brings up game point with a backhand winner before a backhand into the net from Meusburger puts an end to the game.
- - BREAK - AZARENKA 6-1 2-0 MEUSBURGER - Good Lord. The serve is actually getting worse from Meusburger. The Austrian is yet to hold and in fact she has won just nine points on serve. She hands Azarenka yet another break, this time conceding the game with a double fault.
- - AZARENKA 6-1 1-0 MEUSBURGER - Pinpoint accuracy from Azarenka as she drills a forehand winner down the line and just into the corner before unleashing a backhand passing shot winner to bring up two game points. The first goes begging with a netted forehand but she does wrap up the game at the second attempt despite appearing really irritated. Bizarre reaction at a set and 1-0 up.
- - SET - AZARENKA 6-1 MEUSBURGER - Meusburger gets a spot of luck as he flat backhand catches the top of the net and just rolls over for the perfect drop shot. It brings up a game point for the Austrian but Azarenka denies her with a backhand passing shot winner before wrapping up the set when the Austrian nets a forehand. Just 37 minutes on the clock and Azarenka has the first set under her belt.
- - AZARENKA 5-1 MEUSBURGER - Azarenka eases through another service hold, her fourth game in a row, when Meusburger again fails to cope with the Belarusian's serve and sends her backhand return long of the baseline. The Austrian will now have to serve to stay in this opening set.
- - BREAK - AZARENKA 4-1 MEUSBURGER - So far the Austrian has won just a handful of points and her serve is proving to be a big issue for her as she hands Azarenka a third break by pulling a backhand wide - nearly wide of the tramlines as well as the regulation court.
- - AZARENKA 3-1 MEUSBURGER - The first hold of serve goes the way of Azarenka as she starts to make her dominance tell, despite a double fault. Meusburger sends a forehand sailing long of the baseline to end the game and Azarenka consolidates her break advantage.
- - BREAK - AZARENKA 2-1 MEUSBURGER - Much better from Azarenka again, just like in the first game and a half as she leaps all over the poor, soft serve of Meusburger and breaks to 15 for a second time, again seal the game with a trip into the net and a volley winner.
- - BREAK - AZARENKA 1-1 MEUSBURGER - Fantastic play from Azarenka again early in the game as she makes another couple of trips into the net. But Meusburger fights back to level at deuce and then even set up an immediate break back point. The Austrian just narrowly misses her cross court forehand on the angle but she gets a second chance and this time she does break with a brutal backhand that Azarenka can only drop short into the net on her return
- - BREAK - AZARENKA 1-0 MEUSBURGER - A terrific start from the two-times defending champion as she breaks for the loss of just the one point. Azarenka finds a backhand volley winner and another couple of trips to the net before Meusburger throws in a double fault to concede the break.
- - The players are just about ready to go then and it will be Meusburger to get the clash underway by serving first after winning the spin of the coin.
- - Kicking off the night session on day six at the Australian Open is two-times defending champion Victoria Azarenka taking on Yvonne Meusburger of Austria
|Date of Birth||03/10/1983|
|Date of Birth||31/07/1989|