No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- MATCH - MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 6-2 SOCK. Monfils dumps out a second young American in succession. The Frenchman is looking impressive and disciplined - we'll see how long it lasts.
- BREAK - MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 5-2 SOCK. After an interlude of some trademark drama, Monfils picks up the double break and he'll serve for the match.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 4-2 SOCK. A wonder shot off a Sock smash eventually followed by Monfils fiddling with his shoe and visibly struggling with a mystery injury. Even at his most disciplined, there is never a dull day with Gael Monfils.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 3-2 SOCK. Sock's serve can certainly be relied on however, and he ticks yet service hold off the list.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 3-1 SOCK. Another service game, another hold for Monfils. Sock hasn't offered even a touch of pressure with his return today.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 2-1 SOCK. With the break in tow, Monfils is now ratcheting up the craziness on return just a tiny bit. The result is an even easy hold for Sock than usual.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 2-0 SOCK. Monfils happily consolidates the break with an easy hold and he's well on his way.
- BREAK - MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 1-0 SOCK. The American limply relinquishes the break with a series of unforced errors, and suddenly Monfils is well on his way,
- SET - MONFILS 7-6(2) 7-5 SOCK. No mistake from Monfils this time around! He duly serves out the set with an ace.
- BREAK - MONFILS 7-6(2) 6-5 SOCK: To his credit, after dropping his serve, Monfils immediately gets back to work and chases after the break. A Jack Sock double fault later, and he'll have another shot.
- BREAK - MONFILS 7-6(2) 5-5 SOCK: And there we have it, folks. One set point comes, and then Monfils inexplicably leaves the building and drops his serve for the first time all day.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 5-4 SOCK: A regulation hold from Sock, and all eyes are on Gael as he attempts to serve it all out.
- MONFILS 7-6 5-3 SOCK: Monfils holds for with an unreturnable serve, still no hiccup or typical moment of clownery from the Frenchman.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 4-3 SOCK: Sock is sweating so much that he is leaving puddles all over the court, but his energy levels are unchanged. Another game, another hold.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 4-2 SOCK Some more serving and volleying from Monfils. After an uneventful first hour in his match, the smiles and laughter are beginning to arrive right on cue from Monfils. Entertaining for fans, but helpful for the Frenchman's focus?
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 3-2 SOCK. Sock holds again with some more big serves and forehands.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 3-1 SOCK. Monfils edges ahead with a couple of serve and volleys, clearly taking notice of Sock's poor returning. Scarily intelligent play from the Frenchman.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 2-1 SOCK. Despite Monfils' break lead, a routine hold from Sock keeps him vaguely in touch with Monfils.
- MONFILS 7-6(2) 2-0 SOCK. A swift hold and Monfils is cruising now. It remains to be seen how long this brief honeymoon period will last, but Monfils looks very serious and applied right now and that can only be a very good thing.
- BREAK - MONFILS 7-6(2) 1-0 SOCK: There's no stopping Monfils now - the Frenchman breaks in the opening game of set two to move up a set and a break.
- SET - MONFILS 7-6(2) SOCK: And Monfils takes the first set tiebreak 7-2 with ease. Sock showed a touch of immaturity there, but the set certainly went to the right player.
- MONFILS 6-6 SOCK: Sock responds with a strong service game, and the first set will indeed be decided in a tiebreaker.
- MONFILS 6-5 SOCK: Monfils responds with some good serving and waltzes through an easy love hold. A tiebreak seems to be the order of the day here.
- MONFILS 5-5 SOCK: Right on cue, Monfils finds himself at 30-30 before descending into über pusher mode; Sock easily sorts him out with a combination of piercing down-the-line forehands, and the chance is gone.
- MONFILS 5-4 SOCK: As the set edges towards the business-end, there is little separating the two players. Monfils is the likeliest to break through, but he has to be more clinical and take his chances.
- MONFILS 4-4 SOCK. The American edges back with a love service game. Sock isn't nearly as serve-centric as many of his countrymen, but he sure knows how to slam a first serve or two down.
- MONFILS 4-3 SOCK: With a solid volley winner of his own, Monfils edges back in front.
- MONFILS 3-3 SOCK: A couple of break points go begging for Monfils, and Sock levels it up with some big forehand and a well-constructed point ending in a great drop-volley.
- MONFILS 3-2 SOCK: Monfils edges back in head, but 21 year-old Sock is doing little to distinguish himself from the mostly poor returners in his age group of players.
- MONFILS 2-2 SOCK: Not too many long rallies in the opening stages here. Sock fires down a few massive serves, and once again he is level.
- MONFILS 2-1 SOCK: Monfils already has his tactics in check and is directing most of his traffic to the Sock backhand as he edges back in front.
- MONFILS 1-1 SOCK: Sock responds immediately with his own routine service game, both men feeling their way into the match.
- MONFILS 1-0 SOCK: Routine start for Monfils down on Hisense Arena; love hold from the Frenchman to begin.
- After much talk and plenty of shuffling, Monfils and Sock just getting started on Hisense.
|Date of Birth||24/09/1992|
|Date of Birth||01/09/1986|