No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET & MATCH - NADAL 6-4 ret TOMIC - Unfortunately, Bernard Tomic has had to retire due to that groin muscle injury. Not the way anybody wanted it to end, but it is the right decision. Rafa advances through to the next round.
- - SET - NADAL 6-4 TOMIC - Rafa wraps up the first set in style. Having seen one of Tomic's booming forehands whistle past him on the first point, the Spaniard decides to take a bit of pace off his first serve and just kick it away from the Aussie. Three successive serves in a row provide Nadal with three set points. The World No. 1 takes the first opportunity.
- - BREAK - NADAL 5-4 TOMIC - Finally we have a break point, after the Spaniard works Tomic around the court, keeping the ball away from that monstrous forehand. With the Australian still struggling with that groin injury, he misses a few shots, gifting Nadal the first break. The world No. 1 will serve for the first set.
- - NADAL 4-4 TOMIC - These two are absolutely flying through their service games. Tomic's serves are proving too powerful and Nadal's are too accurate for the injured Tomic to reach. Still no sign of a break point...
- - NADAL 3-4 TOMIC - The local favourite continues to cruise through his service games. It appears that he can serve to his full potential, despite his injury - it's just his movement and ground strokes that are affected. Regardless, Rafa can't get anywhere near his serve and we are yet to have a break point in this match.
- - NADAL 3-3 TOMIC - Another comfortable service game for Rafa. Tomic is pretty immobile, but he still has it in him to anticipate where the Spaniard's serve is going and put away a howitzer of a return. Still on serve.
- - NADAL 2-3 TOMIC - The home-favourite really does look in some discomfort, but he's a fighter and will want to continue for as long as he possibly can. His movement is hugely limited, so he's just going for big shots, and it's working. The Aussie leads 3-2.
- - NADAL 2-2 TOMIC - Nadal is testing Tomic out on court. Testing his injury. Testing his fitness. The Spaniard just works him over - moving him left, right, left, right, before coming in to put the ball away. The world No. 1 secures a love game, whilst Tomic continues to wince.
- - Tomic is receiving an off-court medical time-out. He'll have three minutes...
- - NADAL 1-2 TOMIC - He's quite something, Tomic. The Aussie can barely move around the court, but he serves well and, if Nadal can keep the ball in play, then he simply puts a big forehand away with minimal movement. The 21-year-old makes it look so simple at times.
- - NADAL 1-1 TOMIC - Nadal overcomes a double fault on his first serve to hold to 15. A series of pinpoint serves help the Spaniard through, but Tomic continues to limp around the court.
- - NADAL 0-1 TOMIC - Nadal looks to work Tomic from the off, moving the youngster around the court - dictating the play. The Aussie pulls up whilst on the run, and looks to have tweaked something, perhaps his groin or hamstring. Regardless, Tomic uses his booming serve to secure his first hold of serve.
- - The two are out on court now, warming up ahead of their tie. Nadal goes into the match as heavy favourite, but will be wary of Tomic, who is hugely unpredictable.
- - Up next on the Rod Laver Arena is world No. 1 Rafael Nadal who takes on local hero Bernard Tomic.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||21/10/1992|