|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 6-2 DIMITROV - The first chance goes begging for Nadal as he nets a forehand while Dimitrov saves a second match point with a blistering inside out forehand winner across court. A third chance is squandered by Nadal as he slaps a forehand long but finally the Spaniard does get it done at the fourth attempt when Dimitrov goes wide across court with another forehand.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 5-2 40-30 DIMITROV - A missed forehand from Dimitrov, followed by a great forehand passing shot winner across court from Nadal and it's 0-30 to the Spaniard. Dimitrov gets an incredible peice of luck on a net cord, his inside out forehand definitely going out until it hits the top of the net. But it's a short lived breather as Nadal finds another passing shot winner to bring up a first match point ...
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 5-2 DIMITROV - Nadal eases through another service hold to leave himself potentially just one game away from the quarter-finals. Dimitrov just misses a forehand long of the baseline to concede the game and although he challenges, he's walking to the chair as he does so. It's actually pretty close but the ball did miss and Dimitrov will have to serve to keep the match alive after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 4-2 DIMITROV - Dimitrov does well to hold from 15-30 down, flicking down a backhand smash winner to bring up game point before going on to hold when the Spaniard fails to land his backhand return.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(3) 4-1 DIMITROV - Nadal squanders a game point with his seventh double fault of the match (that's six more than in the entire match against Nishikori). But it's only a temporary blip this time as Dimitrov stumbles twice in the next point before sending a forehand long to help the Spaniard hold.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 3-1 DIMITROV - A super cheeky forehand drop shot from Dimitrov, that even gets a nod of approval from Nadal is was so well disguised, brings up two game points for the Bulgarian. The first goes begging on a forehand error but Dimitrov does hold when Nadal pulls his forehand return wide across court.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 3-0 DIMITROV - A clever serve out wide from Nadal is returned long off the backhand wing by Dimitrov, helping Nadal to two game points to consolidate the break. And sure enough that's exactly what he does as Dimitrov slaps a tired-looking forehand into the middle of the net.
- - BREAK - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 2-0 DIMITROV - Nadal earns himself a break point with a phenomenal running forehand passing shot winner on the angle but Dimitrov gets out of trouble with a forehand winner. Another couple of game points go begging for the Bulgarian and Nadal gets another chance to beg, this time thumping a backhand passing shot down the line for a winner. That should could not have been much better and has Nadal finally broken the Bulgarian's resistance now?
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) 1-0 DIMITROV - Nadal holds for the opening game of the fourth set, crouching down, Agnieszka Radwanska-style to a low forehand and dinking the ball over the net for a drop shot across court.
- - During the change of ends, Nadal is getting some more treatment to that nasty looking blister on his left hand which has been heavily strapped since the beginning of the match.
- - SET - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 7-6(7) DIMITROV - Dimitrov almost produces the perfect lob to earn himself another set point but his ball drifts just long (confirmed by a hawkeye challenge) and instead it's set point Nadal. And, ouch. Dimitrov goes for way too much on a cross court forehand and hits into the tramlines to hand Nadal the third set.
- - TIE-BREAK - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 6-6 (7-7) DIMITROV - Dimitrov misses his forehand across court as well to squander the chance to wrap up the set. He gets a second chance with a high forehand volley winner but Nadal knows exactly what he's going to do to save it, pushing Dimitrov back deep behind the baseline before playing the short backhand volley winner.
- - TIE-BREAK - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 6-6 (5-6) DIMITROV - Dimitrov takes three points in a row, including two against the Nadal serve, and is handed another set point when the Spaniard pulls his inside out forehand wide across court...
- - TIE-BREAK - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 6-6 (4-2) DIMITROV - Incredible point from both players as Dimitrov races up the court for a drop shot, only to be lobbed by Nadal. Not only does the Bulgarian get back to it, he very nearly comes up with the hot-dog lob winner, but Nadal just gets the smash back in play before going on to find a backhand winner. He leads by the mini-break at the change of ends.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 6-6 DIMITROV - Nadal drops the first point of the game and then finds himself pegged back to 30-all when Dimitrov suddenly produces a flicked backhand return of serve winner. An extraordinary mis-hit by Nadal on the forehand drive volley, he caught the ball on the frame, hands Dimitrov a first set point. The chance goes begging when Dimitrov mis-hits his forehand return just as badly and Nadal goes on to hold and force the tie-break with two huge forehands down the line.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 5-6 DIMITROV - Confusion all round as there is a belatedly call on a shot that is quite clearly out. Dimitrov queries why there was not a call, is happy when told there was, prompting Nadal to challenge. The ball was out. And the Bulgarian has the hold that leaves Nadal serving to stay in this third set for a second time.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 5-5 DIMITROV - Nadal races through a love service hold to level up this third set once again and stop the run of three games against him
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 4-5 DIMITROV - A 14th ace from Dimitrov helps him on his way to a love service hold, sealed with a neat backhand stop volley winner. Having looked down and out in this set, Dimitrov has come roaring back into it and will make Nadal serve to keep the set alive after the change of ends.
- - BREAK - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 4-4 DIMITROV - A poor start to the game for Nadal, who quickly finds himself staring at a 0-30 deficit. He pegs Dimitrov back one point by steering a forehand approach shot back behind the Bulgarian but then misses an inside out forehand to gift Dimitrov a break back point. Nadal saves it with a backhand volley winner after a small fall by Dimitrov. Nadal then gets a time violation before the next point and slapds down a double fault to gift the break back. Ouch.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 4-3 DIMITROV - Dimitrov needed a good game there and produces a confidence building hold for the loss of just the one point, sealing it with an ace down the centre of the court.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 4-2 DIMITROV - A fifth double fault from Nadal is not going to help his cause as it allows Dimitrov to put a little pressure back on the Spaniard's serve. But this time he shakes off the error, flinging an inside out forehand across court for a clean winner. That's a third game in a row for Nadal as he consolidates his break lead in this third set.
- - BREAK - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 3-2 DIMITROV - A fifth double from Dimitrov does not help his cause and Nadal goes on to earn himself two break points with a low backhand that the Bulgarian can only slice back into the net. The first chance goes begging for the Spaniard with a forehand long but he does break at the second attempt when Dimitrov slices a shoulder-height backhand into the net.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 2-2 DIMITROV - The unusual errors are fewer and further between for Nadal but they still remain and the Spaniard slaps a couple of forehands into the net to help Dimitrov on his way to the first break point of this third set. Nadal saves it tho with a brutal inside out forehand off the mid-court ball before going on to hold with a big serve out wide, forehand down the line and trip into the net.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 1-2 DIMITROV - Nadal looks to apply some pressure but misses a poor forehand, by his standards at least, and Dimitrov goes on to hold from deuce with a big forehand winner across court that beats the Spaniard for pace.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 1-1 DIMITROV - Nadal holds for the loss of just the one point, a couple of big serves from the Spaniard proving to be too much for Bulgarian. The point of the game, however, comes with a great running backhand down the line from Dimitrov. But Nadal is there and has anticipated well to simply block his lunging backhand volley back across court for the winner.
- - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) 0-1 DIMITROV - Dimitrov appears to be cruising to a love service game before Nadal pegs him back to 40-30. But the Bulgarian takes a lot off his first serve, reducing it down to just 166kph, on his final game point to ensure he gets the ball in and as a result secures the hold to open the third set.
- - SET - NADAL 3-6 7-6(3) DIMITROV - Nadal races up the court to a decent drop shot from Dimitrov and flicks a fantastic pick-up across court for an angle backhand passing shot winner. That's the second set to the Spaniard and after an hour and 38 minutes on court we are all square!
- - TIE-BREAK - NADAL 3-6 6-6 (6-3) DIMITROV - Another surprising error from Nadal sees Dimitrov get back within touch but a big serve out wide, followed by the off-forehand winner across court, and a forehand winner down the line and it's set point Nadal. Three set points, to be more specific...
- - TIE-BREAK - NADAL 3-6 6-6 (4-2) DIMITROV - A double fault and a backhand slice error from Dimitrov are not a great way to open the breaker. He bounces back with a much better forehand return but then sliced another backhand into the net to gift Nadal the mini-break lead. A terrific half-volley from Nadal, drawing another backhand error from the Bulgarian, sees the Spaniard extend his lead before Dimitrov finds his 12th ace just before the change of ends.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-6 DIMITROV - A beautiful backhand volley from Dimitrov, which Nadal can only slap long and wide on the running forehand. It brings up two game points but the Bulgarian only needs the one as he thumps down another ace to force the tie-break.
- - NADAL 3-6 6-5 DIMITROV - Another love service hold from Nadal, his second in a row and fifth overall, slings all the pressure back at Dimitrov once again. The Spaniard secures the hold with an inside out forehand winner across court and Dimitrov will have to serve to force the tie-break.
- - NADAL 3-6 5-5 DIMTROV - An impressive game from Dimitrov as he holds for the loss of just the one point, the Bulgarian troubling Nadal once again with the inside out forehand winner across court. All square again in this second set.
- - NADAL 3-6 5-4 DIMITROV - Dimitrov attempts to go for the running forehand down the line but catches the top of the tap instead and Nadal holds to love, to leave himself potentially just one game away from levelling the match, with a spinning forehand that Dimitrov cannot cope with at all, the Bulgarian's attempted backhand reply not even reaching the net before it bounces. Dimitrov will have to serve to stay in this second set after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 3-6 4-4 DIMITROV - Dimitrov contines to play well behind the baseline, behind even the Melbourne sign at times, and Nadal takes full advantage on the first two points with a couple of trips into the net. But the Bulgarian bounces back and levels at 30-all with an injection of pace on an inside out forehand winner. And he goes on to hold when Nadal nets a forehand to end another 20-something stroke rally.
- - NADAL 3-6 4-3 DIMITROV - A mixed game from Nadal as he throws in a poor forehand and even worse backhand volley attempt. But he tempers that with a much better forehand approach shot and a couple of length forehands that Dimitrov stuggles to deal with, playing way back in the shade, and the Spaniard has the hold to 30.
- - NADAL 3-6 3-3 DIMITROV - Neither player produces a particularly impressive game, Dimitrov handing Nadal another break point with a sloppy forehand into the net before beating the Spaniard for pace with a forehand approach shot and then sealing the game when Nadal goes long with a forehand of his own.
- - NADAL 3-6 3-2 DIMITROV - Another surprising miss from Nadal, again off the forehand wing, after opening up with a great first serve. A brilliant forehand volley across court on the stretch from Dimitrov goes for a winner to peg Nadal back to deuce but the Spaniard finds a volley winner of his own before getting the crowd all worked up with a big celebration. A 30-stroke rally follows and Nadal eventually holds when Dimitrov goes wide with a cross court forehand.
- - NADAL 3-6 2-2 DIMITROV - Another very quick and comfortable service hold from Dimitrov, back-to-back aces from the Bulgarian sealing the love game. Nadal appears to have called for the trainer to come out at the next change of ends.
- - BREAK - NADAL 3-6 2-1 DIMITROV - Wow. Nadal suddenly throws in two double faults and slaps a forehand long - challenged but in vein by the Spaniard - and it's break back point to Dimitrov, without the Bulgarian really having had to do anything. Ouch. A third double fault in the game (that's already two more than the entire match against Nishikori) and we are back on serve in this second set, albeit with Nadal still leading by a game.
- - BREAK - NADAL 3-6 2-0 DIMITROV - Nadal just takes all the pace off his forehand to put it back in play and see what Dimitrov can create. As it turns out the Bulgarian nets his resulting forehand and Nadal has a break point. And that quickly becomes a break for the Spaniard as he hits a brutal inside out forehand winner back behind Dimitrov. Nadal is starting to fire now.
- - NADAL 3-6 1-0 DIMITROV - Nadal absolutely races through a love service game to open the second set in a much more positive fashion that the first. Very little Dimitrov could do about that game.
- - SET - NADAL 3-6 DIMITROV - The Bulgarian opens with a double fault before giving Nadal a second serve to look at on the second point. The Spaniard is all over it an goes 0-30 up with a cross court forehand winner off the shorter ball. Dimitrov pegs one point back with a smash winner and the second with a seventh ace. That's quickly followed by an eighth ace and then also a ninth. And that's the set for Dimitrov.
- - NADAL 3-5 DIMITROV - Another Dimitrov backhand ends up in the net as Nadal goes on to hold once again with ease, sealing the game with an ace down the centre of the court - his second ace of the day. Dimitrov will get the chance to serve out the set next though.
- - NADAL 2-5 DIMITROV - A very impressive game from Dimitrov as he produces another two aces in the game to post his first love hold of the match and force Nadal to serve to stay in this opening set after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 2-4 DIMITROV - A first ace from Nadal sees him cruise through to three game points before Dimitrov nets a backhand return. Two love service games in a row from Nadal as he really settles to his task.
- - NADAL 1-4 DIMITROV - Nadal clearly attempting to target the Dimitrov backhand early on, the weaker side of the Bulgarian's play. But, so far at least, Dimitrov is equal to the task and holds from deuce with a blistering forehand across court that beats Nadal for pace.
- - NADAL 1-3 DIMITROV - Boom! That's more like it from Nadal as he settles into this match now with a love service game to get his side of the scoreboard ticking over, albeit slightly belatedly.
- - NADAL 0-3 DIMITROV - Ace, double fault, ace, a Nadal forehand winner, an unreturnable serve and a Nadal forehand error. A quick game from Dimitrov to consolidate the early break lead and there are certainly no signs of nerves from the Bulgarian in his first Grand Slam quarter-final
- - BREAK - NADAL 0-2 DIMITROV - Nadal starts with a double fault before Dimitrov sneaks out to a 0-30 lead with a most impressive forehand winner down the line. Nadal levels up with a cross court forehand winner and a body serve that Dimitrov nets. But a remarkable pick-up from the Bulgarian for the passing shot winner and it's an early break point to the youngster. Nadal mis-hits his forehand, pulling it wide down the line and Dimitrov has the break
- - NADAL 0-1 DIMITROV - An ace, a forehand winner and a service winner bring Dimitrov three very quick game points. Nadal pegs one point back with a blistering forehand return winner down the line but a second ace from the Bulgarian secures a very confident opening service hold.
- - The players are just about ready to go now and it will be Dimitrov to kick things off by serving first, Nadal winning the spin of the coin and electing to receive.
- - WEATHER - The temperature in Melbourne is pretty perfect right now, hovering around the 21 degree mark. There's not a cloud in the sky and barely any breeze. In other words, perfect tennis conditions.
- - STATS - These two have met each other on three previous ocassions with Nadal winning all three of them. But Dimitrov has taken a set off Nadal in each of those meetings. That said, they have never met in a Grand Slam before, and especially not a Grand Slam quarter-final as this is. A first Grand Slam quarter-final for Dimitrov.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the first of today's men's quarter-finals at the Australian Open, between world number one Rafael Nadal and Grigor Dimitrov, who appears to be finally making good on his early promise.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||16/05/1991|