No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So it will be Roger Federer v Rafael Nadal in Friday's second semi-final. What a mouth-watering clash that is set to be with Federer in this kind of form.
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 3-6 FEDERER - Exactly an hour after his first two match points, Federer finally manages to wrap up the match - sealing his place in the semi-finals with an emphatic ace out wide!
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 3-5 30-40 FEDERER - A sublime cross court forehand winner from Murray for the first point and a dipping forehand down the line which Federer can only net gets him the second. Federer pegs back the first point with a big forehand down the line and a smash winner. And a big second serve that Murray blocks back long sees Federer level. Another huge serve that Murray returns long brings up two more match points...
- - BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 3-5 FEDERER - A low inside out forehand into the net from Murray, followed by the same shot but wide across court. Another forehand, this time long down the line, from Murray and it's triple break point Federer again. Murray saves the first with a great first serve and the second with an ace. But he can do nothing about the third, a phenomenal get by Murray but Federer is waiting for it and redirects the ball back. Federer will serve for the match for a second time!
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 3-4 FEDERER - Federer knows exactly which move it is that's becoming most painful for Murray and regularly putting the ball there - out wide to the forehand wing. The Swiss misses a couple of forehands to make the game slightly tighter than it should be but recovers to hold to 30 with a smash winner.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 3-3 FEDERER - Federer makes an early move out wide for the serve so he can take it on the forehad and belts the ball across court for the winner before going on to earn himself another break point when Muray flicks a backhand smash into the net. Murray saves it though with a huge forehand before going on to hold after a netted forehand and forehand long from Federer.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 2-3 FEDERER - A backhand winner quickly followed up by an ace down the centre of the court as Federer sneaks ahead once more.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 2-2 FEDERER - Much easier for Murray this time around on serve as he cruises through a love service hold to stick with Federer and take the pressure off a little.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 1-2 FEDERER - Federer posts a very quick love service hold, sealing it with an ace down the centre of the court. That game took just about a minute for Federer, compared with the 20 it took Murray to hold. Does the Brit having anything left?
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 1-1 FEDERER - Murray earns himself another game point with an ace but then misses an easy forehand volley tapping the net with his racquet afterwards. He barely touched the net but the central tape comes undone and so there's a pause while that is fixed. Another break point goes begging when Federer puts an attempted passing shot wide down the line and this time Murray does go on to hold AFTER 20 MINUTES!
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 0-1 DEUCE FEDERER - Murray is begining to look a little stiff in the back, but who would blame him with how few matches he has had in the last four months. He quickly finds himself 0-40 down but recovers to level at deuce with a stunning backhand down the line. Murray misses a forehand down the line to hand Fed another break point but again it goes begging as Fed nets a backhand. Fed earns himself a fifth chance with some huge aggression but Murray again saves it.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) 0-1 FEDERER - Murray misses a backhand long after a couple of shocking errors from Federer in a row. It could have been break point Murray but instead Federer goes on to hold with a brilliant drop shot winner.
- - SET - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 7-6(6) FEDERER - A fantastic cross court exchange ends when Murray plants a change-of-direction, inside-out forehand right on the sideline. Set point Murray. And Murray does take the third set! Fantastic stuff from the Brit as Federer goes long under pressure on the forehand wing. This match is going to a fourth set!
- - TIE-BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 6-6 (6-6) FEDERER - This time it's the backhand across court that Federer mis-times as Murray paints the lines. All square again in this breaker. Six-all at the second change of ends.
- - TIE-BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 6-6 (5-6) FEDERER - Murray saves the first with some wonderful resistance that only ends when Federer mis-times a forehand down the line and hits out. Still match point Federer ...
- - Murray ultimately has done nothing wrong today, he's played very well in fact, but he finds himself two match points down...
- - TIE-BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 6-6 (4-6) FEDERER - A massive serve out wide from Federer, which Murray can only return into the net at full stretch, sees him further extend his lead. Murray gets one point back with a great serve of his own and then a second with a huge forehand that Federer nets in return. Another huge serve out wide, which Murray returns long off the backhand wing, and it's match points to Federer.
- - TIE-BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 6-6 (2-4) FEDERER - Murray takes the first point of the game with a great first serve out wide and a forehand winner down the line. But a backhand return long on the second and an ace from Federer sees the Swiss player sneak ahead, albeit it on serve. An injection of pace on the forehand down the line helps Murray level. The first point goes against the serve when Murray goes long down the centre of the court and Federer has the mini-break lead at the change of ends.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 6-6 FEDERER - Down the T for the first serve, the short return and dispatched with the off-forehand winner by Federer. And Federer just races through the rest of the love service hold to ensure this set, and possibly the match, will end in a tie-break.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 6-5 FEDERER - There's a real energy about Murray again now as he posts a very confident service hold to 15 to ensure this set ends, at least, on a tie-break for the Brit.
- - BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 5-5 - Federer in a position he has rarely been in all match as he misses his first two forehands to allow Murray 0-30. A big serve down the centre of the court sees him peg one point back when Murray nets a forehand return. But Murray earns his first break points when Fed goes long with a forehand. Federer saves the first with a smash winner but he can do nothing about the second and MURRAY BREAKS FOR THE FIRST TIME when Federer goes long with another forehand.
- - BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 4-5 FEDERER - Murray just puts a little too much air on a forehand which loops long of the baseline to allow Federer off the mark at 15-all. A sensational forehand pick-up from Federer, just before the second bounce, goes for the perfect lob to see him sneak in front and then a Murray forehand just long gifts Federer two break points. One is all that's needed though as Murray nets a forehand. FEDERER WILL SERVE FOR THE MATCH next.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 4-4 FEDERER - Again back-to-back trips into the net pay dividends for Federer as he races out to a 40-love lead. Murray bounces back with a couple of great points, the latter on which features a fantastic reaction backhand volley and smash winner. But Federer holds with a forehand approach shot winner and a yell of "come on". All still square in this third set.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 4-3 FEDERER - Murray thumps an inside out forehand winner across court to bring up two game points before going on to hold to 15 when Federer nets a backhand, attempting the down the line shot.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 3-3 FEDERER - Federer races through a blink-and-you'll-miss-it service holds for the loss of just the one point. Federer makes another couple of trips into the net and produces another couple of winners, a forehand drive volley winner and a regulation forehand volley winner.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 3-2 FEDERER - Murray looks to be enjoying his easiest service game for a while after two trips into the net pay dividends. He nets a forehand on his first game point to put a bit more pressure on himself at 40-30 but produces a bif serve on the second. Great effort from Murray in this third set to resist Federer's march towards the semi-finals.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 2-2 FEDERER - A love game for Federer sees him quickly level. Another brutal backhand down the line from Federer draws the forehand long from Murray, but Federer draws gasps from the crowd as he flicks the ball away anyway, his backhand racing across court for what would definitely have been a winner if Murray's ball hadn't already gone out.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 2-1 FEDERER - Murray just stumbles slightly as he goes for a low backhand on the baseline, allowing Federer off the mark on the third point of the game. Things then become a little less comfortable for Murray at 30-all when he hits long. Federer unleases a brutal forehand down the line, which Murray can only return long and it's another break point to Fed. Murray saves it by forcing the mis-hit from Federer before Murray posts another very gutsy hold.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 1-1 FEDERER - Murray takes the first point against the Federer serve but again that's all he gets a Federer storms back with four straight points to seal the game with a length backhand volley winner and an ace.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 1-0 FEDERER - Federer just jogs across the baseline to a very good backhand approach shot from Murray. Federer chips it back trickily and forces Murray into the backhand volley error off the dipping ball. Break point Federer. Murray saves it this time with a forehand winner down the line and then also a second when Federer hits long. Murray also saves a third before going on to hold with a forehand winner down the line. Great hold for the Brit to open this third set.
- - At two sets to love down 79 gruelling minutes, Murray looks physically exhausted. Federer, on the other hand, looks like he's out for a stroll in the park.
- - SET - MURRAY 3-6 4-6 FEDERER - An unbelievable get from Murray, deep behind the baseline to land his defensive lob on the line. Federer seems to be waiting for the out call but none comes and he gives Murray the easy forehand winner down the line for the first point of the game. Another incredible 20-something stroke rally between both players ends when Murray goes just wide with a change-of-direction backhand. Set point Fed. Make that set Fed as he draws the forehand error from Murray again.
- - MURRAY 3-6 4-5 FEDERER - A big serve out wide just when he needed it helps Murray bring up game point from 30-all when Federer can only put his return in the net. The Brit then goes on to hold on the next point when Fed goes wide across court with a forehand. Federer will have the chance to serve out the second set after the change of ends though.
- - MURRAY 3-6 3-5 FEDERER - Again Murray gets Federer at 15-30 but he is left berating himself ("so stupid") after sending a tame backhand long of the baseline and Federer goes on to hold without dropping another point when Murray pulls a cross court forehand across court. The Brit will have to serve to stay in this second set, next.
- - MURRAY 3-6 3-4 FEDERER - Excellent net coverage from Federer as he somehow produces a backhand volley winner even though his right foot slips as he plays the shot. Pressure on Murray again at 15-30 although he lets Murray off the hook with a backhand long and the Brit goes on to hold with an ace.
- - MURRAY 3-6 2-4 FEDERER - A booming ace down the centre of the court, already his fifth ace, begins the game in a positive fashion for Federer. But a few points later and a forehand error across court from the Swiss player and Murray has him at deuce. Just a hint of a chance again? No, Federer sneaks ahead with another trip up to the net and an easy forehand volley winner after a defensive backhand from Murray. Another service winner and Federer holds to consolidate the break.
- - BREAK - MURRAY 3-6 2-3 FEDERER - An outrageous backhand pick-up from Federer leaves even Murray smiling wryly, especially because Federer then misses the easy forehand follow-up. Federer takes Murray's second serve apart to level up at 30-all, swatting the backhand away down the line for a winner. A forehand into the net from Murray then hands Federer a break point and Fed breaks again when Murray goes wide with an off-forehand across court.
- - MURRAY 3-6 2-2 FEDERER - Just the first look at a chance for Murray as he gets on to the serve out wide for a brilliant forehand return to go 15-30 up. Federer quickly slams the door shut through with another approach to the net and forehand winner before Murray misses his favourite return, the forehand down the line, and Federer holds once more.
- - MURRAY 3-6 2-1 FEDERER - Federer is currently coming up to the net on one in every four points. And he's won the point on 14 of those occasions (out of 18). Another two points go the way of the Swiss in this fashion before Murray secures the hold with a big first serve that Federer cannot land in play off the backhand wing.
- - MURRAY 3-6 1-1 FEDERER - Federer goes just long with a backhand from up at the net which Murray dismissively flicks away for a forehand passing shot winner across court, just for good measure. It's the only point Murray is allowed in the game though as Federer holds with a big serve down the centre of the court and a backhand approach shot winner.
- - MURRAY 3-6 1-0 FEDERER - A shout of "come on" from Murray as he overcomes Federer on a 24-stroke rally. The Brit covers a lot of the baseline and goes toe-to-toe with Federer before coming out on top when Fed nets a forehand. A huge ace out wide quickly follows by Murray and that's the first game of the second set.
- - SET - MURRAY 3-6 FEDERER - Federer is clearly really enjoying himself as he comes up with an amazing backhand half-volley pick-up that Murray can only return into the net, and a cross court backhand winner to bring up three set points. He only needs the one, though, firing down a big serve that Murray cannot return off the backhand wing. 31 minutes on the clock and the first set goes to Federer, who has picked up just where he left off against Tsonga in the fourth round.
- - MURRAY 3-5 FEDERER - Federer's backhand just breaks down a little as Murray targets it with the serve. The Brit holds for the loss of just the one point when Federer nets a backhand return. But it will be the Swiss now to serve for the set.
- - MURRAY 2-5 FEDERER - Murray applies the pressure on to the Federer serve as he flicks his racquet at a backhand and produces a sensationally angled winner across court. It takes the Brit to 30-all but Federer quickly knocks out the next two points to hold and leave Murray preparing to serve to keep this set alive after the change of ends.
- - MURRAY 2-4 FEDERER - Murray twists on a forehand passing shot attempt and pulls the ball right on to the sideline to level up at 15-all after droping the first point of the game. Another sensational forehand passing shot, straight down the line, brings up game point for Murray and he gets his side of the scoreboard ticking over once more with a big first serve that Federer fails to return in play.
- - MURRAY 1-4 FEDERER - Federer has only had to hit two second serves so far today and has won 12 of the 13 points behind his first serve as he extends his lead to 4-1 after just 15 minutes. The four-times former champion in Melbourne fires down another couple of tough serves, the first that Murray nets, the second he returns long, and Federer holds to consolidate the break.
- - BREAK - MURRAY 1-3 FEDERER - The improved backhand from Federer makes an early appearance as he thumps one across court before following it in for the easy smash winner. Another trip into the net and shoulder-height forehand volley winner brings Federer his first break point. And Federer does secure the first break when Murray pulls a cross court forehand wide.
- - MURRAY 1-2 FEDERER - Federer holds for a second time to 15, a cheeky little jab of a forehand winner back behind Murray to seal the game after the Brit's lunging return of serve had only just cleared the net.
- - MURRAY 1-1 FEDERER - A little passive from Murray in his opening game, the Brit seemingly wanting to see what Federer will bring to the match in his new style of play. But Murray takes four straight points to post his opening service hold, Federer just rushing a forehand across court followed by a backhand approach shot and going long with both to help the Brit hold
- - MURRAY 0-1 FEDERER - An absolutely blistering start from Federer, despite Murray producing a backhand winner for the first point of the game. But the former world number one eases through a service hold to 15 to get his side of the scoreboard ticking over.
- - The players are just about finished with their warm-ups and ready to go. It will be Federer to get the clash underway by serving first after Murray won the toss and opted to pick which side he would play from to start...
- - ROUTE TO THE QUARTERS - Federer on the other hand has gone from quietly impressive against James Duckworth, Blaz Kavcic and Teymuraz Gabashvili, to sensational - turning in a vintage performance in the fourth round to beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets. Tsonga did not play badly but Federer absolutely trounced him.
- - ROUTE TO THE QUARTERS - Murray was an unknown quantity coming into the tournament, what with the back surgery towards the end of last year, but he has been solid if unspectacular on his route to the last eight. The Brit beat Go Soeda, Vincent Millot and Feliciano Lopez all in straight sets before dropping his first set against lucky loser Stephane Robert in the fourth round, something which infuriating him into smashing a racquet.
- - STATS - Murray and Federer have faced each other 20 times before with Murray narrowly leading the head-to-heads with 11 wins to nine from Federer. The last meeting between the two was at Melbourne Park last year, albeit in the semi-finals not the quarters like today. That day Murray triumphed in five tough sets, 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-3, 6-7(2), 6-2, the match lasting exactly four hours.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the final men's quarter-finals at the Australian Open between four-times former champion Roger Federer and world number four Andy Murray.
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|