|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 6-1 MAYER: Game, set and match! The Ferrer onslaught continues and Mayer is just too fatigued to cope. Some tired shots hand the Little Beast an opportunity which he takes with aplomb. It's a fourth consecutive Australian Open QF for the Spaniard who will face Berdych or Anderson in the last eight.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 5-1 MAYER: The German finds his range with two sublime winners to clock up two break points. But Ferrer is having none of it. He wins the point of the game following an exhilarating rally to tie it at deuce. And then a rasping forehand that wrong-foots Mayer seals the comeback, leaving the world number 37 serving to stay in it.
- - Over on Laver, Fognini is rather frustrated with the way things are going against the Djoker.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 4-1 MAYER: BREAK! Wow. Ferrer is on fire and it looks like Mayer is ready for the showers. A stunning shot down the line sets him on the way to yet more break points and the Little Beast secures the double break with another sizzling shot down the left channel that the German can only stub away from the tramlines.
- - PHOTO: Mayer struggles to combat the Ferrer onslaught.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 3-1 MAYER: Ferrer can see the finish line and is showcasing the full repertoire of his shots, the pick being a stunning crosscourt winner after Mayer appeared to have the advantage.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 2-1 MAYER: BREAK! Ferrer dictating the rallies and putting Mayer under all sorts of strain by coming into the net and forcing the issue. The German faces up to two more break points and cracks under the pressure with a double fault sealing his fate.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 1-1 MAYER: The German is having little or no impact on the Ferrer serve now. The Spanish ace is in the groove and thumps down some ruthlessly efficient shots to take it to love.
- - Over on Laver, Djokovic is running away with it. He's now 6-3 6-0 up against Fognini. F Fognini v N Djokovic | Live | 2014 | Australian Open men - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 0-1 MAYER: Mayer somehow manages to hang on and saves four break points, one with a sublime drop volley that followed an enthralling rally. Another delightful volley at the net offers him a chance to stay alive in this contest, which he takes for what is a massive hold.
- - PHOTO: Ferrer hits once of those famous returns to Mayer.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 6-2 MAYER: SET! Ferrer seals a very one-sided set with an ace. You'd fancy the Spaniard to see this out in four now, unless Mayer can find a second wind from somewhere.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 5-2 MAYER: BREAK! The quick turnaround on Ferrer's service seems to have flummoxed Mayer, who looks very tired all of a sudden as he faces up to three break points. A thumping forehand from the Spaniard leaves the world number 37 stretching out an arm in hope, and he can only watch in vain as the ball hits the net. Ferrer to serve for the set.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 4-2 MAYER: Supremely efficient from Ferrer as a combination of clever serving and brute force from the baseline prove too much for Mayer on this occasion. The pressure is straight back on the German's shoulders.
- - Over on Laver, Djokovic has already broken in the second set and looks like making short work of Fognini. F Fognini v N Djokovic | Live | 2014 | Australian Open men - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 3-2 MAYER: Bold, determined play by Mayer sees him stay in touch. A lob at 40-15 has Ferrer in allsorts of trouble, leaving the German with a simple overhead he despatches with nonchalant aplomb.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 3-1 MAYER: An unfortunate net cord at 40-15 disrupts Ferrer's surge towards some breathing space, allowing Mayer to bite back and force deuce. The Spaniard gets himself out of a mess with a timely power serve before the German attacks the next and overcooks it. Break consolidated.
- - The woman of the hour, Ana Ivanovic discusses her joy and hopes for the future in her post-match press conference.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 2-1 MAYER: BREAK! A couple of foot faults hamper Mayer as he loses his serve to 15. An exhausting final rally concluding with a stunning crosscourt winner for Ferrer.
- - Over at the Laver Arena the Djoker has taken the first set 6-3 against Fognini. F Fognini v N Djokovic | Live | 2014 | Australian Open men - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 1-1 MAYER: A ferocious first serve sees Mayer fire a return long to ensure Ferrer holds to 15. A sublime winner down the line, right in the left-hand corner from the Spanish ace was the pick of the action.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 0-1 MAYER: Important hold for Mayer to 15. The German was playing catch up for most of the second set, so he'll be pleased to have his nose in front from the off.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 7-5 MAYER: SET! The German pushes him all the way to deuce, but Ferrer finally makes it 1-1 when the world number 37 arrows a forehand long to the right-hand of the baseline. Almost two hours gone and plenty more tennis left in this.
- - PHOTO: Ferrer found it easier going in his last outing against Chardy.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 6-5 MAYER: BREAK! Another twist! Ferrer hits back with two break points of his own and makes no mistake with a rasping return after a woeful serve from Mayer left him open. A third break for Ferrer in this set and surely now he must make it count by serving to level it at 1-1.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 5-5 MAYER: BREAK! We are all square! Superb net play by Mayer sees him angle a sublime volley into the open court to tee up two break points. Ferrer saves one, but the German takes advantage of a weak second serve with a low return that the third seed can only stab into the net.
- - More reaction from Williams...
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 5-4 MAYER: Mayer cracks down a fourth ace of the match to sneak 40-30 ahead before a Ferrer lob drops just long to leave the Little Beast to serve for the second set.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 5-3 MAYER: Ferrer mixes up his game to come into the net and close out the game to 30 after Mayer had threatened to heap some pressure on from a 40-0 deficit.
- - QUOTES: Serena Williams speaks to the Press about her surprise defeat to Ivanovic.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 4-3 MAYER: At 40-0 Mayer is on easy street. But he allows Ferrer back into it with two well-worked points before the German finally moves to within striking distance of the Spaniard when the Little Beast fires long.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 4-2 MAYER: BREAK! A glimmer of hope for Mayer? The German pulls a break back with some revitalised tennis. A stunning shot down the line just creeps in the baseline at 30-40 to give him a much-needed pick-me-up.
- - Novak Djokovic is about to get his fourth round match against Fabio Fognini underway over on the Rod Laver arena. F Fognini v N Djokovic | Live | 2014 | Australian Open men - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 4-1 MAYER: The German looks set for some respite at 30-0 but Ferrer is like a dog with a bone at present and forces deuce once more. Mayer stays focused and eventually fires down an ace - surviving a challenge - to pick up a much-needed game.
- - VIDEO: More reaction from that shock over on Laver where Ivanovic saw off Williams.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 4-0 MAYER: What a contrast from such an evenly-contested first set. Ferrer is running riot and Mayer has no answer to it. We could be all-square in double-quick time here.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 3-0 MAYER: BREAK! Some great tennis on show in this contest, encapsulated by a cute volley from Mayer that is brilliantly despatched back across court by Ferrer on the run. It sets up a run of four deuces before a miscued forehand down the line from the German hands the initiative to the number three seed, who sees it out for a double break.
- - PHOTO: The big story of the day, Ivanovic defeats Williams over on Laver.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 2-0 MAYER: Ferrer consolidates the break with some smart serving. That's two games in eight minutes. No messing from the third seed.
- - BIG SHOCK! Serena Williams has been dumped out of the Australian Open by Ana Ivanovic. S Williams v A Ivanovic | Live | 2014 | Australian Open women - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
- - FERRER 6-7 (5) 1-0 MAYER: BREAK! Superb response from Ferrer as he hits back straight away, securing the game on the first of two break points.
- - FERRER 6-7 (5-7) MAYER: SET! The German takes control at 4-2, leading to some bizarre grunts of frustration from Ferrer. It's Mayer's for the taking and he finally claims the set when Ferrer's lob drops long.
- - FERRER 6-6 MAYER: TIE BREAK! Great composure from Mayer as he fires a couple of fine winners to take the first set to a tie break. This first set could go either way. Perhaps the momentum slightly favours Ferrer? We'll see.
- - SHOCK ON? Over on Laver, Serena Williams is in big trouble against Ivanovic in the final set. S Williams v A Ivanovic | Live | 2014 | Australian Open women - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
- - FERRER 6-5 MAYER: Too good from Ferrer as crashes an inside out forehand into the open court to take the game to love.
- - FERRER 5-5 MAYER: Solid serving from Mayer sees him stop the rot at just the right time. Some easy points put him 40-15 ahead before Ferrer nets a return to hand him the game.
- - Over on Laver, Ivanovic has sprung a surprise by levelling at one set-all against Williams. S Williams v A Ivanovic | Live
- - FERRER 5-4 MAYER: It's all change as Ferrer takes the initiative. He's in the groove now and after looking very composed, Mayer will now serve to stay in the set.
- - FERRER 4-4 MAYER: BREAK! Another game, another deuce as Ferrer steps up a gear. A superb shot down the line tees up break point and he levels the contest when Mayer's acrobatic volley drops just shy of the net cord after another stonking rally.
- - The winner of this battle will take on Tomas Berdych or Kevin Anderson in the next round. Tennis - Australian Open men's draw
- - FERRER 3-4 MAYER: Ferrer shrugs off the disappointment of failing to break back in the previous game and holds with ease to stay breathing down the German's neck.
- - FERRER 2-4 MAYER: A big hold for the world number 37. Mayer fires down his first double fault of the contest to ensure yet another game goes to deuce. But fair play to the German, he keeps fighting and after some blockbusting blows, he finally holds when Ferrer smashes a forehand long.
- - VIDEO: Action from Ferrer's straight sets win over Jeremy Chardy in round three.
- - FERRER 2-3 MAYER: The Spaniard thumps down an ace to take it to 15 with his first routine service game of the contest.
- - FERRER 1-3 MAYER: Mayer saves two break points and comes through after another game goes to deuce. A 23-shot rally ending with a backhand volley at the net from the German is the pick of the action.
- - FERRER 1-2 MAYER: The number three seed hits back with the type of resilient tennis that has made him one of the best players in the world in recent years. This could be a marathon encounter this one.
- - VIDEO: Highlights of Mayer's resounding win over Janowicz. Check out Eurosport Player's Australian Open app for IPad to see a whole host of additional media content.
- - FERRER 0-2 MAYER: We've already seen some bruising rallies in this showdown as both players slog it out from the baseline. Another deuce gives Ferrer hope, but the German sees it out to consolidate the break.
- - PHOTO: That first game showing Mayer carrying on the great form that saw him see off Jerzy Janowicz in straight sets last time out.
- - FERRER 0-1 MAYER: BREAK! Stunning start from Mayer, who attacks Ferrer from the off! The German notches up three break points but the Little Beast roars back to save them all. The world number 37 then sees another go begging before sealing it when Ferrer's forehand smashes the net and bounces long.
- - Here we go then, Ferrer to serve first.
03.12 - ROUTE TO ROUND FOUR: Ferrer has eased through the tournament so far, claiming victories over Alejandro Gonzalez, Adrian Mannarino and Jeremy Chardy.
03.09 - The two players are making their way onto court and will now go through the formalities ahead of what promises to be a close match.
03.07 - HEAD-TO-HEAD: The duo have met seven times before today with the Spaniard edging it 4-3.
03.02 - Next up on Hisense, it's the round four meeting between Florian Mayer and number three seed, David Ferrer.
|Date of Birth||05/10/1983|
|Date of Birth||02/04/1982|