|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-0 6-2 FOGNINI - It's taken just an hour and 30 minutes for Djokovic to get to triple match point. But it only takes the one and the three-times defending champion is safely through to the quarter-finals with an ace down the line. Fognini challenges but there was never really any doubt and sure enough hawkeye shows the ball landed right on line.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-0 4-2 FOGNINI - Dognini slaps a forehand long of hte baseline to allow Djokovic to level at 30-all before then looping a forehand long on the next point to hand the Serb a 21st break point in the match. This one goes begging as Djokovic fails to land his return but the world number two rattles a backhand winner down the line to bring up a second chance before a running forehand winner across court from Djokovic does see him break again.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-0 4-2 FOGNINI - Djokovic quickly races out to a 40-0 lead and three game points and although he fails to take advantage of the first, the Serb does consolidate the break on the second when Fognini's return sails long of the baseline.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-0 3-2 FOGNINI - Fognini is not even visible on corurt after Djokovic works him around the court before dinking a forehand volley winner over the net to bring up another break point. Only one is needed though and Djokovic secures the break after yet another double fault from Fognini. That surely must be it now?
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-0 2-2 FOGNINI - Djokovic takes the first two points of the game before Fognini storms back with three straight points to get ahead. The Serb pegs him back to deuce but eventually Fognini does hold to stay ahead before Djokovic posts a similarly battling game, albeit finishing with an ace, to level up. No rhythm from either player now as they match enters even more of a lull.
- - DJOKOIVC 6-3 6-0 1-1 FOGNINI - Djokovic matches Fognini's love service game to open the third set with one of his own. There is basically nothing else to say about that game it was so completely dominated by the Djokovic serve.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-0 0-1 FOGNINI - Much better from Fognini as he races through a love service game of his own to topen this third set. Djokovic admittedly just took his foot off the gas but just a sign there of what the match could have been if both players had been performing at their best
- - SET - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-0 FOGNINI - Fognini really has to be careful he doesn't end up with a fine for not trying in this match, as he clearly makes no effort on the first point of Djokovic's service game. The Italian makes more of an effort on the next couple of points and even pushes Djokovic to deuce. But a second serve ace seals the set for the world number two when he gets the chance. That's two sets to love in less than an hour for Djokovic.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 5-0 FOGNINI - A double fault from Fognini allows Djokovic to level at deuce before a forehand error hands the Serb another chance to break. The world number one doesn't have to do anything to break as Fognini slaps down a second double for the game and Djokovic will serve for the second set after the change of ends.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 4-0 FOGNINI - Boom! Yet another love service game goes the way of Djokovic. He has dropped just a handful of points behind his serve and the whistles are starting from the crowd now, who would want to be seeing more of a match.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 3-0 FOGNINI - After all the excitment of the previous match there is now absolutely no atmosphere around the Rod Laver Arena at all as Djokovic breaks for a second straight time in this second set, the Serb whipping a backhand winner over the net to seal the break.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 2-0 FOGNINI - Djokovic races through another comfortable service game, book-ending it with a pair of service winners to consolidate the early break in this second set.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 1-0 FOGNINI - Djokovicic is furious with himself as he misses a forehand down the line to squander a first break point early in this secind set. The Itlian earns himself a game point but he fails to take advantage of it and Djokovic does have the break - Fognini sending a forehand sailing long.
- - SET - DJOKOVIC 6-3 FOGNINI - Again just the one point dropped on serve by Djokovic as he fires down an ace on his way to earn himself two set points. Only one is needed though as he belts a service winner down to formalise his lead after just 31 minutes.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-2 FOGNINI - Djokovic drops his first point on serve but its only temporary respite for the Italian as the world number two quickly finds his rhythm again and goes on to hold for the loss of just the one point, Fognini going long with a forehand. He will have to serve to stay in this opening set after the change of ends.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-2 FOGNINI - Such free hitting from Djokovic as Fognini slices a backhand into the net in a bid to mix things up somehow. The Serb is also reading the serve incredibly well and brings up another break point with a blistering return winner. He hits long to squander it. Fognini also saves a second by working his way into the net and eventually finds a high forehand volley winner. From there Fognini goes on to hold and stop the rot.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-1 FOGNINI - Wow. Djokovic still hasn't dropped a point on serve as he races through another hold, this time to consolidate the break. The three-times defending champion was very impressive in his third round victory the other night but could this be even more ruthless?
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 3-1 FOGNINI - There's the breakthrough for Djokovic as he fires a heavy forehand down the centre of the court and draws the netted response from Fognini, who already is hanging his head slightly at his errors.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-1 FOGNINI - Another blink-and-you'll-miss-it service hold from Djokovic and he rattles the ball over the net and seals the game to love when Fognini sends his forehand return back lomng of the baseline down the centre of the court.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-1 FOGNINI - Fognini quickly finds himself 0-40 and triple break point down but Djokovic slips on the baseline when he attempts to chase down a drop shot. There's no danger of any injury but it seems to kick-start Fognini, who rattles off four straight winners to hold and get off the mark in this match
- - DJOKOVIC 1-0 FOGNINI - Fantastic start from Djokovic as he races through a love service hold to open the match. That game took less than a minute, the highlight being the second point as Djokovic slides out to a forehand and sends a scorcher down the line.
- - STATS - These two have played each other six times before and Djokovic has won all six of those previous clashes. You have to go back to a clay qualifying tournament way back in 2006 to find the only time Fognini has ever beaten Djokovic.
- - Next up on Rod Laver Arena will be world number two and defending champion Novak Djokovic take on Italian Fabio Fognini.
|Date of Birth||24/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|