SPL - Wylde and Celik leave Rangers

Tue, 06 Mar 20:04:00 2012

Hopes continue to rise that a deal can be struck between Rangers players and administrators to avoid significant job losses at the club, on a day when midfielders Gregg Wylde and Mervan Celik left the club.

2012 Rangers Gregg Wylde - 0

Talks continued throughout Tuesday at Murray Park after both parties reconvened to discuss proposals from the players over helping the club make savings without job losses.

However, Swedish midfielder Celik and Scotland U21 international Wylde took voluntary redundancy with no pay-off, as the club attempts to save £1 million per month.

Departures could be kept to a minimum though as both parties are understood to be close to an agreement.

Wylde arrived at Rangers' Murray Park training ground in mid-afternoon after it emerged that he had offered to leave. The 20-year-old, who has made 47 appearances for the club, told STV: "I wanted to help out the club by keeping people in a job. I was so tired I couldn't really sleep at night. It was getting to me so I thought I would leave."

Celik only arrived at the club in January under freedom of contract from Swedish side GAIS, although they were due a transfer fee. The midfielder has struggled to make an impression.

Players had failed to come to a consensual agreement with administrators on Monday, a day the Duff and Phelps financial team had previously set as a deadline before they took matters out of the squad's hands.

But the administrators said they would consider a fresh proposal from players overnight and negotiations have continued. Top earners at the club are believed to be considering wage cuts of 75 per cent for a period of time, with cuts of 25-50 per cent for those lower down the wage structure.

Speaking after an agreement on wage deferrals was not reached on Monday evening, joint administrator Paul Clark said: "Everyone involved in the administration process has been attempting to reach a consensual solution in regard to job losses within the playing squad.

"The prime reason for this has been to achieve essential cost savings while preserving the fabric of the first team.

"This has not been an easy balance to strike and we would like to thank the manager Ally McCoist, his players and the PFA Scotland for attempting to find a solution that would be workable for all. Every realistic option is being explored.

"Regrettably, it has not been possible thus far to reach a consensus where players could accept the necessary level of wage cuts to prevent job losses within the squad. We do not for a moment criticise the players for this as the wage reductions that would be required are very substantial and would have a significant impact on each individual.

"For clarity, we cannot enforce wage cuts. The players have to agree to this course of action.

"The players have asked us to consider a final proposal overnight for discussion in the morning and we have agreed to this request."

PA Sport / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account