World Cup - Teixeira still on executive committee - FIFA

Mon, 12 Mar 15:57:00 2012

Ricardo Teixeira, who quit as head of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) and 2014 World Cup local organising committee on Monday, is keeping his place on FIFA's executive committee.

Ricardo Teixeira - 0

"At the time of writing, Ricardo Terra Teixeira remains a FIFA executive committee member," FIFA said in a statement.

"FIFA has not received any official communication from Teixeira nor from CONMEBOL (the South American Football Confederation) regarding this position.

"It is worth recalling that Ricardo Teixeira has been elected to the FIFA Executive Committee by CONMEBOL."

FIFA also confirmed that it recognised Jose Maria Marin as Teixeira's successor both as president of the CBF and the local organising committee.

Marin is a 79-year-old former politician who is little known outside the closed world of the CBF.

Preparations for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil have been fraught with political difficulties, including disagreements between the government and FIFA over the sale of beer in stadiums, and concerns over the country's decaying infrastructure.

Teixeira is one of three South Americans on FIFA's executive committee alongside Julio Grondona of Argentina and Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay.

Recently, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has distanced himself from his fellow executive committee members, saying he does not choose them as they are appointed by their respective continental confederations.

The executive committee itself lost four members over corruption cases in the last two years.

Mohamed Bin Hammam of Qatar was banned for life after being found guilty by FIFA's ethics committee of trying to buy the votes of Caribbean officials last year when he challenged Blatter for the presidency.

Jack Warner from Trinidad and Tobago resigned while he was being investigated over the same case.

In 2010, Tahiti's Reynald Temarii and Nigeria's Amos Adamu were banned over allegations they tried to sell their votes in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosting contests to undercover newspaper reporters.

Blatter has announced a series of measures intended to stamp out corruption in FIFA and clean up the governing body's image.

Teixeira tendered his resignation in a letter that was read out to reporters at the Brazilian Football Confederation.

His resignation comes days after Teixeira requested a medical leave of absence to treat health problems. He is reported to be suffering from diverticulitis, a painful inflammation of the bowel lining.

Teixeira had run the CBF since 1989 and turned it into a highly profitable commercial enterprise. Brazil had not won the World Cup for 19 years when he took over but they have lifted two trophies in the years since.

However, he has faced repeated allegations of graft and corruption.

In 2001, an investigation by Brazil's Congress accused him of 13 crimes ranging from tax evasion to money laundering to misleading lawmakers, although no charges were ever brought.

Last year, Lord Triesman, the former head of the Football Association, said Teixeira offered him money in exchange for Brazil's backing of England to host the 2018 World Cup, a tournament that was eventually awarded to Russia.

In February, the Folha de S. Paulo newspaper said a company linked to him overcharged the organizers of a November 2008 friendly match between Brazil and Portugal in the capital Brasilia.

Teixeira had turned much of the organising committee's public work over to Ronaldo, the former Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Barcelona striker whom he appointed to the 2014 World Cup organizing committee's management board on December 1.

News Ricardo Teixeira

Reuters / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account