Monaco Grand Prix - Perez: Horror smash made me stronger
Sergio Perez says he returns to the Monaco Grand Prix a much stronger driver one year on from his horrifying crash in qualifying.
The Mexican made it through to Q3 in Monaco last season, but lost control of his Sauber as he hit the brakes on the section of track of track after the tunnel. His car hit the wall on the right hand side before spinning sideways into the barriers at the famous chicane.
Perez suffered concussion in the accident, which forced him to miss the Monaco race - and also put him out of the Canadian event a fortnight later as he had not fully recovered.
Reflecting on the events of that weekend, Perez said that he learned a great deal which is why he is more confident about his chances in Monaco this time out.
"This grand prix is the most special one for me," he said on Friday. "I have been waiting to race in the Monaco GP all my life and, of course, after what happened last year I am looking forward to it even more.
"I strongly believe on this track the driver can make more of a difference than on any other track. As a team we are in good shape and I want to keep that momentum for Monaco. I also think our car can perform quite well on that unique city circuit.
"Of course I also think back to the accident I had in Q3 last year. To me it is like a watershed event in my career. There is a time before and a time after the accident. I learnt a lot from what I had to go through and I think it made me stronger. I really want to show what I can do in Monte Carlo."