World Cup 2010 - Capello Index annoys FA
PA Sport - Mon, 19 Jul 19:48:00 2010
There was growing frustration at the Football Association on Monday as the controversial Capello Index remained online.
The FA had been confident the website would be removed from the internet by the end of Monday. But it was still available to view by early evening, with the delay in taking it down said to be due to technical issues.
Error messages appeared at times on www.capelloindex.com but it remained possible to view the rankings, which England boss Fabio Capello demanded be deleted on Saturday.
As they have no involvement with the site, the FA are powerless to expedite its removal, with Capello's own representatives having been working to ensure it is taken down since it went live on Saturday.
One thing the FA were able to do was ensure the Italian would have no involvement with the Index while he remains England manager.
Club England managing director Adrian Bevington told the FA's official website, www.thefa.com: "After the developments of the weekend, this will not happen while Fabio is England manager.
"We have been consistent with this view, but managed sensitively.
"However, as has been made clear, Fabio had absolutely no involvement in the ratings that have appeared from the World Cup and did not give his name or approval to them."