Murray wilts in Ohio heat

Eurosport - Fri, 20 Aug 20:20:00 2010

Mardy Fish overcame Andy Murray 6-7 6-1 7-6 in a match lasting almost three hours at the quarter-final stage of the Cincinnati Masters.

- 0

World number four Murray looked exhausted in 100-degree heat after losing to the unseeded American.

Fish, ranked 36th in the world, has now beaten the Briton in three successive meetings following victories in Miami and at Queen's Club, London.

Fourth seed Murray won the opening set tiebreak despite producing his first double-fault at 5-5, but the tired Scot then struggled in a one-sided second set.

Both players held serve throughout the decider and Fish emerged victorious against a frustrated Murray who, after losing a rally on the penultimate point, thrashed the ball out of the stadium.

Murray won the Toronto Masters last week. It seemed to catch up with him against the in-form Fish.

He will have a rest of 10 days before he begins his bid to win his first Grand Slam title at the US Open in New York which begins on August 30.

Murray was disappointed that tournament organisers had given him three consecutive starts in the midday heat.

Murray, who won in Toronto last week, has played eight games in 10 days, all of them between noon and three p.m. local time. The on-court temperature on Friday was more than 38 degrees Celsius.

After Thursday's win over Latvian Ernests Gulbis, Murray asked organisers if he could be given a later slot.

"If you ask for a late match and you're put on first, that's not...that's pretty...," said Murray, hesitating and picking his words carefully. "I don't ever request really when to play. I don't make many demands at all during the tournaments."

The world number four said organisers had told him he needed to start at midday as Fish was playing in the doubles competition later on Friday.

"They said that because Fish had to play doubles they wanted us to play early. But I'm not sure, the way the tennis works, I don't think matches should be scheduled around the doubles because it's the singles that's on the TV," the Scot told reporters.

Murray left the court after the first set, which he won on a tie-break, to cool down in the locker room and received medical attention before returning and losing the second 6-1.

He said he had he considered calling it quits but had been determined to keep on till the end.

"You always try and finish matches. I think I've pulled out of maybe one match, two matches out of over 300 or something on the tour.

"It does cross your mind a little bit when you're kind of struggling like that. But the doctor and the physio did a good job with the ice and cooling me down a little bit."

Murray said he was sure he would be in peak form for the US Open.

"Physically (this week) will have been very good for me before the U.S. Open. I'm going to be fresh when I get there, but I've played three long matches, two to 7-6 in the third, and another three-setter in the first round was definitely beneficial.

"I just would have liked to have been given a better opportunity to recover."

Reuters / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account