Ryan to contest FA charge

Tue, 24 Apr 13:54:00 2012

Doncaster chairman John Ryan will contest an FA misconduct charge brought against him following his comments about referee Mick Russell in the aftermath to the defeat to Portsmouth earlier this month.

A number of decisions went against Rovers who surrendered the lead to lose a dramatic game 4-3 in stoppage time, sealing their relegation from the npower Championship in the process.

Ryan has requested a personal hearing to contest the charge, which relates to an interview broadcast by Sky Sports and stories published on the BBC and Yorkshire Post websites.

"I thought the officials were an absolute disgrace," he said after the match. "I thought it was a clear handball for the third goal and a clear handball for the fourth goal. The first penalty I thought was outside the box. I'm absolutely sickened to the core about the standard of refereeing."

In a statement released by Doncaster on Tuesday, Ryan said: "How can you be charged for telling the truth?"

"I have even had Portsmouth fans complimenting me on my stance and everyone in the electronic media came down on the side of Doncaster Rovers in this match."

 

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account