Motherwell say they have not decided how they would vote if a new Rangers entity applied to join the Scottish Premier League but they have promised to consult supporters if the issue becomes a reality.
And the club, who launched a fan ownership scheme in January, say they cannot separate "sporting integrity" from their plans for a sustainable future. All clubs will vote on any newco application that is presented after May 30, and Motherwell director Derek Weir is on the SPL board that has the authority to decide until then.
The prospective ownership consortium fronted by Charles Green plans to push for a newco Rangers - which entails forming a new company to buy the current club's assets - if there is no agreement struck with creditors.
A Motherwell statement read: "The club continues to actively participate in the discussions being held at the SPL in relation to the current issues at Rangers Football Club. To date we have seen no proposals to transfer a share in the SPL to a 'newco' and have therefore made no decision on how we would vote if such a scenario did arise.
"We have purposefully avoided making any public statements to date given the uncertainty of the situation and the lack of any clarity on what, if anything, we will be required to vote on. Once we have full information we will be able to decide our position. Any speculation on the basis of conjecture only adds to the damage to the game and all of our interests.
"We are well progressed with a plan that is designed to bring both fan ownership and long-term financial stability to the club, without reliance on funding from either a bank or a benefactor.
"We do not believe we can separate the sporting integrity of our league from the sustainable future of our club; the two go hand in hand.
"Any decisions we take as a board are made in the best interests of the club with a view to achieving our stated aims for ownership and funding.
"In the event that a 'newco' proposal is presented to us, we intend to fully discuss with representatives of our supporters groups, prior to making any decision."
Motherwell's statement comes 24 hours after Aberdeen issued a vague statement, which mirrored a previous comment from Celtic, that they would act in the best interests of their club and Scottish football.