Championship - Keogh grabs Cardiff win in last minute

Sat, 25 Sep 13:01:00 2010

A last minute winner from Andy Keogh saw Cardiff City run out 2-1 winners over 10-man Millwall.

- 0

Millwall took the lead after 10 minutes after Scott Barron scored his first goal for The Lions after good work from Kevin Lisbie down the right.

Against the run of play Jay Bothroyd drew the home side level when he turned in Peter Whittingham’s deflected effort.

A straight red card for Liam Trotter, shown for a bad challenge on Darcy Blake, and then a brilliant save from David Forde to keep out a penalty from Whittingham saw a frantic end to the first half.

Millwall defended well in the second half, but in the dying moments Keogh headed home from a couple of yards to grab all three points for Cardiff.

It was a desperately disappointing result for Kenny Jackett’s side as they must have thought they had done enough to earn a share of the spoils. They started the stronger side and were good value for their lead when they went ahead after 10 minutes when Kevin Lisbie did really well down the right hand side and fired in a ball across the six-yard box which was converted by Barron for his first ever goal for Millwall.

The newly promoted away side were having the best of the play until on 24 minutes Jay Bothroyd was left with a simple finish after a shot from Peter Whittingham was blocked into the striker’s path. A goal out of nothing, but one which really spurred on Dave Jones’ side.

The Bluebirds came back into the match and started to put more pressure on the Millwall defence.

Bothroyd had three efforts in quick succession, testing the keeper twice, but snatched at his best opportunity and saw it flash wide.

With five minutes left of the first half, Trotter dived in with a rash challenge which caught Blake, and was promptly shown a straight red card by referee Lee Mason.

As Millwall reshuffled their side, the lively Whittingham burst into the box and was brought down by Darren Ward for a penalty.

Whittingham, last season's top scorer who has yet to score this season, stepped up to take the penalty he had won but David Forde in the Millwall goal did well to get down low and push the ball past the post.

In the second half Cardiff had the majority of possession but failed to create any real clear cut chances against Millwall who defended really well, despite being a man down.

Jason Koumas was brought on to try and break the deadlock, but could not find a way through, and with just minutes remaining the game looked destined to end in a draw, but Bothroyd found space and his cross was converted by Keogh for his first goal for the club.

Jamie Nazareth / Eurosport

Not already a Yahoo! user ? to get a free Yahoo! Account