Gilbert takes Belgium title
Philippe Gilbert has won the Tour of Belgium after Andre Greipel took his second stage of the week on the closing day in Putte.
The Omega Pharma-Lotto pair worked with their team to protect local favourite Gilbert’s overall lead and allow his German colleague to sprint to the points title.
Kenny Van Hummel (Skil-Shimano) was second, followed by Aidis Kruopis (Landbouwkrediet), but Van Hummel was relegated to last for an incident with Kruopis in the kick to the line.
The top of the general classification was unchanged from stage four, with Gilbert topping Van Avermaet by 20 seconds and Bjorn Leukemans by 36 seconds.
Results (top five only, click on links for full standings):
1 Andre Greipel (Ger) Omega Pharma-Lotto 3:51:43
2 Aidis Kruopis (Ltu) Landbouwkrediet
3 Luca Paolini (Ita) Katusha Team
4 Adrien Petit (Fra) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne
5 Allan Davis (Aus) Pro Team Astana
1. Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 16:48:46
2. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:20
3. Bjorn Leukemans (Bel) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team 0:00:36
4. Bert De Waele (Bel) Landbouwkrediet 0:01:03
5. Pim Ligthart (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team 0:01:16
1. Andre Greipel (Ger) Omega Pharma-Lotto 30 pts
2. Aidis Kruopis (Ltu) Landbouwkrediet 25
3. Luca Paolini (Ita) Katusha Team 22
4. Adrien Petit (Fra) Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne 19
5. Allan Davis (Aus) Pro Team Astana 17