The Parc d’Avroy, a landscaped park in the centre of Liège, is located on an artificial island. At one time, the Meuse and the Ourthe Rivers stretched like arms through the city. Navigation around the town was difficult and the risk of flooding was a permanent threat. In the early nineteenth century, the Avroy river, a former branch of the Meuse, was therefore filled in and it was in 1880 that the Park was expanded to its present size. Many paths cross the tree planted lawns and there is also a pond, a bandstand and several monuments and statues. Park attractions include a statue of Charlemagne by the Liégeois sculptor Louis Jehotte. Two other monuments are adjacent to the starting line of the prologue. On the left hand side is the National Monument to the Resistance, by the architect Paul Etienne and sculptor Louis Dupont. On the right hand side is the bull-tamer, more commonly known as Li Tore (the bull), the work of Léon Mignon, a traditional meeting place for many Liégeois associations and student gatherings.