Championship - Derby County record crucial away victory over Brighton and Hove Albion
- -And that's it! Derby have ended Brighton's eight game unbeaten record and proceed to the second leg of this tie with an invaluable 1-2 victory.
- 90'+3Just moments to play now. Derby are holding the ball in the corner and are happy to do so.
- Derby County Substitution
- 90'+1Lualua takes the free-kick but he can't get his shot over the wall.
- 90'Thorne goes in late on Lualua who is brought crashing to the ground. Brighton have another free-kick in a dangerous area, it has to be better than what they've produced from set pieces so far.
- 89'Nice tackle from Calderon on Sammon wins the ball back for Brighton. Four additional minutes are to be played at the end of this match.
- 88'Derby are happy to keep possession now and run down the clock. A Brighton equaliser would really set up the second leg nicely.
- 86'Lualua - who has been rather impressive since he came on at half-time - produces a wasteful cross which goes out of play.
- 85'Nothing comes of the corner. The Derby fans sing about going to Wembley. We have five minutes remaining of this match and it's going to be a long five minutes for the visiting supporters.
- 84'Martin lays of Sammon who finds himself in a decent chance on the edge of the area but his final pass is disappointing, although he has still won his side a corner.
- 83'Forsyth is booked for a late tackle for Derby.
- 82'Can Derby weather the storm?
- Brighton and Hove Albion Substitution
- 80'Brighton throwing caution to the wind now as Craig Mackail-Smith replaces Lingard.
- 79'DOUBLE SAVE! Lingard is given tons of space in the middle of the park, he unleashes a well struck shot straight at Grant who makes a decent save, the rebound falls to Ward who strikes from outside the box but Grant recovers well to make another stop!
- 79'Lualua is proving very dangerous and has just delivered another well produced cross but Derby clear the threat.
- 77'After winning his side the free-kick, March then produces a woeful cross. Brighton have wasted too many set pieces tonight.
- 76'Sammon makes a ridiculous tackle on the tricky March and receives a yellow card for his efforts. Free-kick for Brighton in a dangerous area.
- 74'It's all Brighton who are now coming forward in numbers. Derby are looking a little shaky at the back at present. The anxious home fans are making plenty of noise.
- 72'Derby are getting increasingly deeper and inviting Brighton pressure. March makes his first contribution of the game as he delivers a low cross which Grant almost made a mess of. Brighton still trail by 1-2 with less than 20 minutes to play.
- Derby County Substitution
- 71'Connor Salmon - who has scored a couple of important goals this season for Derby - replaces Jamie Ward.
- 70'And Brighton have finally made that needed change. 19-year-old Solly March replaces Orlandi and Garcia will hope the youngster will inject some much needed creativity for his side.
- Brighton and Hove Albion Substitution
- 69'Brighton's Ward produces a poor cross to continue the home fans' frustrations.
- 67'Derby are looking very comfortable at the back. Brighton need to make a tactical change shortly because it's not working for them at the moment.
- 66'Lualua produces a nice cross into the box for Brighton but there's no one there to challenge for the ball. Brighton aren't taking any risks going forward at the moment.
- Derby County Substitution
- 65'Russell's impressive night has been brought to an end as he is replaced by Simon Dawkins.
- 63'Ulloa falls to the floor and looked to be dragged down in the penalty area by Buxton. The referee and linesman had clear views of the incident but didn't signal for a foul. It was clear obstruction!
- 61'WHAT A SAVE! Orlandi produces a wonderful cross, the ball falls to Ulloa who mis-hits his shot but still manages to get the ball on target and Grant makes a terrific stop to push the ball onto the crossbar!
- 60'Great covering defending from Keogh who makes a sliding tackles on Orlandi. Another corner to Brighton.
- 59'Brighton do well to defend the corner. Derby in possession again though.
- 58'Fantastic work from Ward who runs from his own area and wins a corner for Derby. His pace has been frightening tonight.
- 57'Brighton continue to apply the pressure with long balls being directed towards Ulloa but Derby's defence is holding strong.
- 55'This is better from Brighton! A dangerous cross from Lualua allows Brighton possession in the Derby penalty area, Calderon is given an opportunity to have a shot at goal but he curls it way over the bar.
- 53'Ward's free-kick is well punched clear by Kuszczak and Brighton produce a counter attacking move of their own but the opportunity is wasted as Lualua blazes the ball into the crowd from distance.
- 52'Brighton make a mess of the corner, much to the frustation of the home fans. Derby move forward with another counter attack, Andrews is forced to bring down the lightening quick Ward and is deservedly booked for doing so. Free-kick to Derby.
- 51'Calderon - who had an eventful first-half - wins his side a corner.
- 50'Not for the first time tonight, the set piece is wasted.
- 49'Orlandi gathers possession in the middle of the park and draws the foul. A chance for Brighton to get the ball into the box.
- 48'Derby have made the brighter start to the second-half after a slow start to the match. Not the way Garcia would have wanted his side to come into the concluding 45 minutes.
- 47'Hendric finds himself in a dangerous position on the flank, plays in Ward at the back post who opts to shoot from a tight angle but Kuszczak does well to turn it behind for a corner.
- 46'We're underway in the second-half. Lualua's first contribution is to foul Russell.
- -Buckley, who went down holding his hamstring in the first-half, has been substituted and is replaced by Kazenga Lualua in the only change at the break.
- -Half-time and what an opening 45 minutes! Brighton will feel robbed but Derby are in heaven!
- Brighton and Hove Albion Substitution
- 45'+2GOAAAAAAL! Derby have the lead! Oh, so cruel! Hendrick's attempted shot falls at the feet of Russell who lays on Martin who fires the ball at goal from the edge of the area, the ball smacks off the crossbar and then off the back of Kuszczak and into the net!
- Derby County Goal
- 45'Two minutes of additional time to be played. The match has calmed down just a little in the last few minutes.
- 43'Wisdom makes a block and Brighton have yet another corner which Derby clear.
- 42'Buckley - who is OK to continue - scoops in a cross after Ward was robbed of possession but no one is able to capitalise in a home shirt and the chance doesn't come to anything.
- 40'A few sloppy passes from the Brighton back four allows Bryson control of possession but he sees his effort well sail over the bar after trying to loop the ball over the goalkeeper's head.
- 39'After an initial dominant 20 minute display from Brighton, Derby have slowly crept into this match and are looking really threatening on the counter-attack.
- 37'What an exciting contest this is turning into be. Russell drives forward from his own half, leaving Lingard in his tracks before producing a cross/shot which Kuszczak blocks and Brighton clear.
- 35'Ward is the second player to go into the referee's book. One yellow card a piece now.
- 34'Ward is threaded through behind the Derby defence, he whips a cross into the box, it's deflected and falls in the direction of the powerful Ulloa who rises high but can't produce enough pace on his header to beat Grant in Derby's net.
- 33'A slight concern for Brighton as Buckley has fell down, clutching his hamstring. He walks off to the side of the pitch to receive treatment.
- 31'Brighton had been by far the better side with Derby having little of the ball and fewer chances but that mistake from Upson has proved costly. Amazingly the former West Ham defender avoided a yellow card.
- 30'Almost a second sucker punch by Derby in as many minutes as a fantastic counter attack sees Russell find himself in a dangerous position, he tries to slip in Ward at the back post but the ball just eludes him.
- 29'GOAAAAAL! 1-1! Martin scores his 21st goal of the season with a cool, cool penalty. Game on!
- Derby County Penalty
- 27'PENALTY TO DERBY! Forsyth is hauled down by a clumsy, silly tackle by Upson. Nowhere near the ball, stonewall penalty.
- 25'Another penalty appeal from Brighton and this time they could have a point as the ball strikes Forsyth's arm from Buckley's cross.
- 24'The game has became rather scrappy since the goal with both sides giving possession away cheaply.
- 22'It could prove difficult for Derby to find a way back into this match, considering Brighton's impressive defensive record. But there's a long way to go and you cannot write off Derby's attacking threat.
- 20'McClaren is the focus of the TV cameras and boy does he look cross. His side haven't started at all.
- 19'Derby almost make an instant comeback as Russell delivers a wonderful free-kick towards the back post but Upson just cannot get his head onto the ball!
- 18'GOAAAAAAL! 1-0 BRIGHTON! The home side have a deserved goal! Lingard latches onto a squared Calderon pass, his first shot is blocked but the ball falls kindly to him and he makes the most of the opportunity, smashing into the back of the net!
- Brighton and Hove Albion Goal
- 16'Another big decision for the referee to make as Lingard falls under Hendrick at the edge of the area but play is waved on.
- 15'The home fans are making some excellent noise. Brighton win a couple of corners but again, poor deliveries.
- 13'It's all Brighton at the moment but Derby are holding on as a strong Keogh tackle stops Orlandi in the danger area. Buckley then runs the ball out of play under pressure from Derby players.
- 11'Another poor delivery from Orlandi and Grant easily collects for Derby.
- 10'Brighton continue to apply the pressure, winning another corner.
- 9'PENALTY APPEAL! But the referee waves play on and rightly so. Calderon falls under a tackle and the Brighton faithful are sure that's a foul. Not for me.
- 8'Bryson's free-kick is really poor and shoots out comically into row Z.
- 7'Calderon is the first player to be booked after he brings down Forsyth on the edge of the area. Free-kick in a dangerous position for Derby.
- 6'Derby produce a number of one touch passes in Brighton's final third before the move breaks down as Russell seeks out a dangerous back post pass but just can't find a team mate.
- 4'Orlandi is fortunate not to have his name in the referee's book as early as the fourth minute after he comes in with a late and reckless tackle.
- 3'Brighton are keeping possession well and using the flanks. Calderon gets forward from full back to deliver a cross which Derby deal with.
- 2'Orlandi receives a short corner but his delivery is poor and swings harmlessly out for a goal-kick.
- 2'Brighton, cheered on by a lively home crowd, win an early corner.
- 1'And we're off!
- 19.40Kick-off is now just a mere five minutes away. We're getting nervous behind our keyboards, never mind the 22 players emerging onto the turf! Tonight's winner will have one foot in a Wembley showcase final and will be a step closer to realising their dream of becoming a Premier League footballer next season.
- 19.35Derby County have been free-scoring throughout this season's campaign, bagging 84 goals in 46 games with Chris Martin scoring 20 of those goals. Brighton, meanwhile, have only conceded 40 goals this term, only Burnley can boast of a better defensive record. Two teams with two completely different styles, which will overcome?
- 19.30Garcia: "Big players want to play in these games and tomorrow is a big game. Everyone needs to enjoy playing in these games, whether you are a manager or player. We know that we are the underdogs as they finished third and are the top-scoring team in the league. They beat us home and away this season, but anything can happen in football and we trust that all the players in the squad will fight for our place."
- 19.25What a job McClaren has done since taking over from Nigel Clough in September, when the club were 14th in the league. The former Boro boss got off to the best possible start, going on a run of 14 games unbeaten and has transformed the Rams from league strugglers to genuine top two contenders.BHAFC Vs DCFC | Steve McClaren On Play-Offs
Derby County Head Coach Steve McClaren looks ahead to the Play-Off Semi Final First Leg against Brighton & Hove Albion at the Amex Stadium on Thursday evening...
- 19.20Tonight's hosts come into this match full of confidence after an eight match unbeaten run helped them sneak into the top six on the ultimate day of the Championship. Steve McClaren's Derby have been established at the top end of the table for the majority of the season. They have only dropped two points from their final six games and are seeking a hat-trick of victories over Brighton this season.
- 19.15Derby County are the favourites for this evening's clash but Brighton cannot be ruled out. The Seagulls reached the play-offs last season only to be knocked out by Crystal Palace, who won 2-0 at the Amex after the first leg ended 0-0. Despite being the underdogs for this tie, Oscar Garcia's men do have the experience of playing at this stage of the league campaign.
- 19.10So there we have it, the teams are announced. Matthew Upson returns to an already sturdy Brighton defence but right-back Bruno misses out and midfielder Dale Stephens is also unavailable. Derby defender Jake Buxton, midfielders Craig Bryson and George Thorne and forwards Jamie Ward and Chris Martin all return in a strong line-up. Defenders Shaun Barker (knee) and James O'Connor (thigh) are missing.
- 19.05Brighton and Hove Albion: Kuszczak, Calderon, Greer, Upson, Ward, Andrews, Forster-Caskey, Lingard, Orlandi, Ulloa, Buckley. Substitutes: Brezovan, Chicksen, Dunk, Ince, March, LuaLua, Mackail-Smith. /// Derby County: Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Bryson, Hendric, Russell, Ward, Martin. Substitutes: Legzdins, Whitbread, Eustace, Hughes, Dawkins, Bamford, Sammon
- 19.00Good evening and welcome to Eurosport's LIVE coverage of the first Championship play-off between Brighton and Hove Albion and Derby County.
|K. Lua Lua||0||0||1||16||1||0||1||2||0||0||0||45|