FA Cup - Fabianski penalty saves help send Arsenal into final
- 4-2GOAL! Cazorla slams the penalty down the middle. And that is that. A 4-2 win on penalties for Arsene Wenger's side. They are into the FA Cup final. Fortunate, but they get the job done. Hard luck on Wigan.
- 3-2GOAL! McArthur slides it straight down the middle. 3-2. Cazorla needs this to win it..
- 3-1GOAL! Giroud leaves Arsenal on the brink.
- 2-1GOAL! Beausejour into the roof of the net. Arsenal 2-1.
- 2-0GOAL! Solid penalty by Kallstrom. Slides it to his right. Arsenal 2-0.
- 1-0FABIANSKI SAVES! Poor penalty by Collison. Easy enough save going to his left. 1-0 Arsenal.
- 1-0GOAL! Arteta scores. Send Carson the wrong way. Arsenal lead 1-0.
- 0-0FABIANSKI SAVES! Dives to his right. Easy save from the Caldwell penalty. Poor penalty. Just right of centre.
- -Looks like Wigan are going to take the first penalty of the shoot-out...
- -It ends 1-1 after a keenly fought contest. As shown by this image...
- 120'But Wigan survive...we are heading to penalties to decide this match. Astonishing end to the contest. Who will hold their nerve?
- 119'An added minute to the 30 extra minutes. Crainey forced to thump clear the loose ball after Kallstrom had left fly from distance. Some frantic defending.
- 118'Plenty of stressed faces among those Arsenal fans. Looks like this match is heading for penalties....
- 116'Kallstrom tracked by McArthur, but he can't unlock Wigan as his cross is clasped by Carson in the Wigan goal.
- 115'Giroud can't control the ball, but Wigan will have to defend again here in the closing moments. Plenty of cramp out there. Oxlade-Chamberlain feelling the pace.
- 114'Powell bounds away from Arteta. Takes on Vermaelen, but he screws the shot wide of goal. Should probably have taken that ball on further rather than let fly from 20 yards.
- 113'Early introduction into the action for Kallstrom as he lashes an effort over the bar from distance. Optimistic to score from there.
- Arsenal Substitution
- 112'Kim Kallstrom takes over from Ramsey for the Championship side. Can he come up with the winning goal that Arsenal crave?
- 111'Perch with the cross into the middle, but Collison can't direct the header at goal. Glorious ball by Perch. Powell suffering from cramp.
- 110'Oxlade-Chamberlain drives the shot against the bar from 18 yards. Carson beaten, but ball comes back off bar before Wigan scramble it clear.
- 109'Fabianski off his line to try to get to the ball. Can't get in front of Powell before Collison drives a shot a few yards wide of goal. No real pace on the effort.
- 108'Cazorla throws a free-kick into the box, but headed out by Gomez before Cazorla is guilty of conceding a free-kick to relieve the pressure on Wigan.
- 107'Caldwell with an intentional handball, and Giroud earns a free-kick. Pace slowing dramatically. Oxlade-Chamberlain with a spot of cramp here.
- 106'Off we go then for the second half of this gruelling sort of semi-final.
- 105'There goes the whistle for the break. 1-1. Wenger and Rosler tryign to encourage their respective sides to find this winning goal.
- 104'Gomez brought down by Arteta, but that looks like it is going to be it for the first period of extra-time.
- 103'Almost time up in the first period of extra-time. Arsenal rolling the ball from one side of the pitch to the other.
- 102'Giroud clears from the Gomez free-kick. Fortune then complaining that he is fouled out wide by Sagna, but referee says play on.
- 101'Perch hammers a volley at the Arsenal goal from distance, but well over in the end.
- 100'Oxlade-Chamberlain sees a shot blocked by Perch, who takes the sting out of the shot before it runs through to Carson.
- 99'One more goal either way might yet win it for these teams. At the moment, it is looking more likely to come from the Premier League team.
- 98'Sanogo fires a shot over the bar from 12 yards before Mertesacker comes up with a timely tackle to deprive Powell of the ball.
- 97'Carson has been exceptional for Wigan this evening. He has been outstanding in goal.
- 96'Oxlade-Chamberlain with a lovely pass into Sanogo's path. The striker turns before firing a shot at goal, but a super stop by Carson to turn it over.
- 95'A teasing cross from Ramsey. Sanogo inches away from connecting. Caldwell had clearly lost the big forward. How close was he to netting there.
- 94'All gone a bit quiet again around Wembley. Ramsey then sees a shot blocked by the blue shirts. Arsenal continue to press forward.
- 93'Good covering work by Gomez to cut out a Gibbs pass. Powell on the run for Wigan, but he lifts the shot well over the bar from distance.
- 91'We are back underway...
- 90+5'McArthur has also collected a booking, but the final whistle has sounded. It ends 1-1. 30 minutes of extra-time coming up.
- 90+2'Collison booked for a late challenge on Gibbs out wide, but Giroud offside seconds later.
- 90+1'Easy clearance in the end for Arsenal from the Gomez corner before McArthur comes up with a cynical late challenge on Oxlade-Chamberlain.
- 89'Gibbs forced to track back and halt Fortune from getting the cross in. Wigan have the corner here.
- 87'Floated corner from Cazorla, but Mertesacker heads over the bar. Chance for the big German to come up with the winning goal.
- 86'Late challenge by Caldwell on Sanogo before Beausejour drives the ball out of play for an Arsenal corner.
- Wigan Athletic Substitution
- 85'Scotland defender Gary Caldwell has replaced the injured Ramis for the underdogs.
- 84'Perch does well to track back and get the loose ball back to Carson. Wigan trying to see this out to the full-time whistle. Stadium full of Arsenal voices.
- 83'Mertesacker was onside from that equalising header. Giroud drives a shot at goal, but Carson is down quickly to make a fine stop.
- 82'Utter relief among those Arsenal fans as they suddenly sense a winning goal here. Carson plucks the ball out of the air from the attempted clearance by Collison.
- Arsenal Goal
- 81'GOAL! Arsenal level at 1-1. Mertesacker forces the Gibbs volley over the line. Too many bodies in the Wigan box. And they couldn't clear in the end.
- 80'Brilliant stop by Carson to claw out the Gibbs header. Ball was heading over the line, but Crainey is back to make a stunning clearance. Wigan hanging on.
- 79'Sagna sees a header come off the post from the corner. Almost the equaliser. Inches away from making it 1-1.
- 78'Carson off his line quickly to punch the ball away from Giroud after he tried to race through. A corner to the Premier League side as the pressure mounts.
- 77'Gomez is booked for a clear foul on Giroud as he tried to gallop beyond the Spanish midfielder. Time a real enemy for Wenger's men here.
- 76'Gomez with a fine free-kick into the heart of the Arsenal box, but Fabianski does well to punch clear in a crowed area.
- 75'Ramis again turns the ball away from Sanogo, who can't seem to buy Arsenal any time by making the ball stick to him up front. Wigan content to drop deep as Crainey turns a pass away.
- 73'Oxlade-Chamberlain drives the ball at goal from distance, but straight into the arms of Carson.
- 72'Brilliant tackle by Crainey to win the ball from Sanogo as he threatened to race clear on goal. Fortune heads out the corner by Cazorla.
- 71'A few boos around the ground. Sanogo doing very little to justify his place in this Arsenal side. Wenger looking haunted as Sanogo can't benefit from an unconvincing Perch header clear.
- 70'Another big call as McManaman is replaced by Nick Powell for Wigan. Arsenal just playing in front of this Wigan side at the moment. All too predictable.
- Arsenal Substitution
- Wigan Athletic Substitution
- 67'Olivier Giroud arrives to take over from Podolski. Looks like Arsenal are moving to 4-4-2 in a bid to rescue this semi-final.
- 65'Amid this drama, Collison has replaced McEachran for the Championship side.
- 64'Boyce doing well to block the effort by Podolski. And looks like a change is coming for Arsenal.
- Wigan Athletic Substitution
- 63'GOAL! Gomez plants the penalty to the right of Fabianski. And that is a 1-0 lead. Brilliant penalty. Kept his composure superbly. The keeper guessed right, but was never saving that.
- Wigan Athletic Penalty
- Arsenal Substitution
- 62'Off goes Monreal and on comes Gibbs for the Premier League side.
- 61'Nacho Monreal is needing some treatment here. They are calling for a stretcher here. Has Monreal done his groin in losing the initial challenge to McManaman.
- 60'Gomez is going to take this penalty. A bit of a delay here. Referee Michael Oliver was spot on with that.
- 59'PENALTY TO WIGAN! Mertesacker sends McManaman crashing to the ground. Clear-cut penalty. Penalty all day long. What a chance this is for Wigan.
- 57'Perch does extremely well to blunt the run of Perch out wide. And Wigan will have a free-kick that Carson can launch long from deep in his own half.
- 56'Arsenal gradually finding some joy here. Slowly, but surely. Can they discover this opening goal that their attacking play hints at?
- 54'The Arsenal fans trying to rouse their side as Podolski sees a cross cleared by Ramis. Better from Arsenal.
- 53'Gomez's corner breaks to McArthur at the edge of the box, but his shot is blocked by a posse of red shirts. Arsenal living dangerously here.
- 52'Oxlade-Chamberlain with a long ball looking for Sanogo on the run, but he fetch it. All too easy for Carson to come to collect.
- 51'It must be said, Arsenal looking extremely nervous. A lot of their play is very predictable and sluggish.
- 50'Solid piece of defending by Ramis to make sure Sanogo can't cut through the middle of the Wigan defence.
- 49'McArthur with a ball out to Beausejour on the run, but he can only lift the cross straight out of play.
- 48'Arseanl struggling to go forward at any pace. Seems like they are being careful not to make a mistake.
- 47'Wigan looking as comfortable as they were last year when they managed to upset Manchester City to win this tournament.
- 46'Arsenal get the second half off and running. Arsene Wenger back in his seat in the technical area.
- 45+1'There goes the whistle for the break. 0-0 at half-time. An outcome that really suits Wigan. The longer this goes, the more nervous Arsenal will get.
- 45+1'James Perch needing a spot of treatment after being caught late by Podolski.
- 44'We are into one minute of time added onto the first period. A job well done by the Gunners.
- 42'Decent ball into space by Cazorla to pick out the run of Sanogo, but Carson races from his line to make a timely stop.
- 41'Plenty of empty spaces around Wembley, and that seems to have really benefited Wigan out there in nullifying the threat of Arsene Wenger's men.
- 40'An offside flag goes up against Podolski. Looked to be on there. Crainey seemed to be playing him on.
- 39'Oxlade-Chamberlain is sent tumbling to the deck, but Podolski can only send his effort spinning wide from 25 yards out.
- 38'Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain shows his threat early on at Wembley.
- 37'Fortune manages to get a shot away, but Fabianski does well to make the stop. Arsenal's woes continues against a vibrant Wigan side.
- 36'Podolski off the park getting some treatment at the moment for a facial injury. On we go with the score level at 0-0.
- 36'Wigan fans soak up the atmosphere at Wembley.
- 35'Some more bright stuff by McManaman who again targets the Arsenal defence, but this time his shot sails wide of the target. Wigan really in this contest.
- 34'Gomez throws a free-kick into the Arsenal box, but headed clear by Sanogo helping out in his defence.
- 33'Wigan owner Dave Whelan certainly enjoying his day out so far. Wigan giving as good as they are getting. Their manager Uwe Rosler must be quietly content with his lot.
- 32'Ball breaks to Sanogo from 18 yards out, but he can't direct the ball at goal as he leans back to lift the shot well over the bar.
- 31'Wigan have obviously looked at this Arsenal defence as a potential weak point in their make-up.
- 30'Some really bright play by McManaman out wide as he drives beyond Vermaelen. Fine run and cross, but Mertesacker does enough to clear the danger.
- 29'Sagna with a chance from a tight angle, but he hammers the ball wide of the target. That has to be regarded as a decent opportunity for the underdogs.
- 28'Arsenal toiling to influence this match as yet. Can't really control the game which is down to the hard work of this Wigan side.
- 27'Decent break from Wigan as Fortune sends a neat pass out wide to Gomez, but his cross flies over the bar as Fabianski is allowed to watch it sail over.
- 26'Sanogo sees the ball caught in his feet as Ivan Ramis gets back to clear the ball for a corner. Better from the Premier League side.
- 26'STAT: The last time Arsenal met Wigan was in May 2013 just after their FA Cup final win over Man City. The Latics were relegated after losing 1-4.
- 25'Sanogo bursts through the middle of Wigan's defence, only for Carson to rush out and clear once more. Arsenal need to keep playing on the front foot in this match.
- 24'Wigan keep the ball at the back patiently with Arsenal sitting back, waiting for something to happen seemingly.
- 23'After a very bright start, Arsenal have disappeared somewhat with Sanogo suddenly looking isolated up on his own.
- 22'Olivier Giroud has scored five goals in his last five FA Cup games, including three in three substitute appearances this season, but he's had to settle for a place on the bench today.
- 21'Gomez is pressing high up the field for Wigan as Arsenal keep the ball rather sluggishly in their own half.
- 20'McManaman bursts past Arteta down the right but he is unable to keep the ball in play as he concedes a goal kick for Fabianski.
- 19'Arteta is very late into a challenge on Gomez and he's penalised for it as Wigan are presented with a free kick.
- 18'McArthur is dictating the play for Wigan at the base of the midfield and he is managing to give his side some steady possession.
- 17'McManaman is penalised for a challenge on Monreal but Sanogo swiftly fouls Perch as the match becomes very scrappy all of a sudden.
- 16'Ramsey is sitting pretty deep early on and spraying passes around to Oxlade-Chamberlain out on the right and to Santi Cazorla to the left, drifting across.
- 15'Rosler is cutting an anxious figure on the touchline but Wigan are beginning to show their quality going forward with McManaman and McArthur showing for the ball.
- 14'Wigan clear away from the corner through Crainey and again they have a moment or two to gather themselves before Arsenal press forward once more. Sanogo is also proving dangerous.
- 13'Oxlade-Chamberlain is proving a massive threat early on and he breaks inside from the right once more to force Carson out very swiftly to concede a corner! Arsenal need to keep finding the winger.
- 12'Monreal whips over a testing delivery into the box from the left flank, but Wigan clear the ball away confidently through Perch on this occasion.
- 11'Arsenal are keeping the ball in their own half but always looking for Oxlade-Chamberlain as a useful outlet down the right. His pace has already led to a big chance so far.
- 10'Wigan, playing with three at the back, are beginning to settle and keep the ball more confidently - in their own half at least.
- 9'The Gunners are keeping the ball very patiently in their own half with Wigan sitting deep and waiting to be attacked by the looks of things.
- 8'The match finally calms down a touch after a frantic start which Arsenal have dominated and Wigan can now begin to find some composure on the ball.
- 7'Rosler is very animated on the touchline as he frantically waves at his defenders to push up the field. A foul from Sanogo on Ramis sees Wigan have a moment of respite.
- 6'Wigan have won both FA Cup matches they have played at the new Wembley without conceding - last year’s semi-final and final - but they need to settle down here.
- 5'Big chance for Arsenal! Sanogo has a header saved brilliantly by Carson after a fine ball across from Oxlade-Chamberlain from the right. It's a powerful downward header from Sanogo, but Carson is equal to it. Wigan hanging on desperately early on.
- 4'Both sides looking to gain the upper hand in the crucial battleground of central midfield and it's Arsenal who are making the early moves.
- 3'Ivan Ramis gives away possession in a dangerous area early on and Arsenal have a chance to break, but Yaya Sanogo's touch in the penalty area just takes Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain by surprise and he is unable to keep the ball under control.
- 2'Remember, there are no replays at this stage of the FA Cup so one of the places in the final will be decided today. Still plenty of empty seats at Wembley, typically.
- 1'WE'RE UNDERWAY! Arsenal start very brightly as Ramsey immediately darts forward and now Wigan have a chance to settle.
- 17:07Silence breaks into applause as Wembley remembers the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough 25 years ago.
- 17:05The teams come out, each with a mascot bearing a floral tribute to the Hillsborough victims. So too does FA chief Greg Dyke. And we will have a minute's silence before kick-off.
- 17:00"Football's a running game and they don't do enough of it." Roy Keane's damning verdict on Arsenal.
- 17:00In his pre-match interview, Arsene Wenger tells ITV the key to winning on a big occasion: "Start strong, stay strong and finish strong." Simple! Although with Everton winning at Sunderland, the Gunners are out of the top four as things stand.
- 16:55Uwe Rosler: "I watched the game last Sunday (Arsenal v Everton) and it was another very impressive lesson from Roberto Martinez, tactically how Everton approached the game. There were good pictures for me to learn from and also take one or two things on board, like I did with Manchester City in the last round.”
- 16:50There are six Premier League games in progress - and of the relegation candidates Cardiff, Fulham, Crystal Palace and West Brom all hold slender leads.
- 16:45This match, in common with all others in England this weekend, kicks off seven minutes later than usual to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough tragedy. Liverpool scarves have been laid out on 96 seats at Wembley.
- 16:40Arsene Wenger: : "The games against Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton were all tight and that provokes excitement. The win against Liverpool maybe gave me the most satisfaction because it was just one week after we were beaten in a convincing way at Anfield. I think winning that game showed that we can respond to disappointments in a very positive way."Arsenal face dangerous underdogs Wigan
Arsenal face FA Cup holders Wigan, who have punched well above their weight on their way to the semi-finals.
- 16:35You probably don't need reminding that Wigan are FA Cup specialists. They won the thing last year, and have already beaten three Premier League sides to reach the semis - including a 2-1 win over Manchester City at the Etihad in the last round.
- 16:25The great news for Arsenal fans is that Aaron Ramsey starts on his return from injury. Arsene Wenger keeps faith with his cup goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski while Yaya Sanogo starts up front ahead of Olivier Giroud.
- 16:20TEAMS - WIGAN: Carson, Perch, Boyce, Ramis, Crainey, McArthur, McEachran, McManaman, Beausejour, Gomez, Fortune... Subs: Al Habsi, Barnett, Caldwell, Maloney, Espinoza, Collison, Powell. // ARSENAL: Fabianski, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Monreal, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Cazorla, Podolski, Sanogo... Subs: Szczesny, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Kallstrom, Akpom, Eisfeld, Giroud.
- 16:15Welcome to live coverage of the FA Cup semi-final between Wigan Athletic and Arsenal from Wembley!
|Team Manager:||Malky Mackay|
|Team Manager:||Arsène Wenger|
Players Sub Time