Premier League - Villa and Southampton in dour stalemate
- 90+4'Finally, it comes to an end. An uninspiring 0-0. Credit to Southampton for making most of the running. Aston Villa looked happy for a point from minute one.
- 90+3'Agbonlahor challenges Clyne in the area... Penalty? Nope, play on.
- 90+2'Bit awkward. Lallana departs the action and forgets to hand over the captaincy, which promotes substitute Harrison Reed to the role of skipper. Eventually, he finds someone more deserving and the youngster's moment is gone.
- Southampton Substitution
- 90+1'The fourth official signals that there will be three more minutes of football to endure.
- 90'It comes to new boy Robinson in the penalty area, but he's denied by the offside flag. Cue Villa fans to leave in their numbers.
- 89'Holt bundles through a couple of challenges and sparks a Villa attack...
- 88'You can't help but feel sympathy for the supporters who have paid to watch this match.
- 87'Guzan has the ball. Not goal time.
- 86'Lambert wins a throw-in deep in opposition territory. Goal time?
- 85'Ohhhh, the Villa fans like this. Weimann is hauled off for England younster Robinson.
- Aston Villa Substitution
- 84'Southampton change: Jack Cork on for Victor Wanyama.
- 83'Lambert drifts infield but his way to goal is denied by a wall of Aston Villa shirts.
- Southampton Substitution
- 82'Callum Robinson is getting ready. He was born in 1995!
- 81'Into the final 10 minutes. Will there be a late twist at Villa Park?
- 80'Paul Lambert makes his first change: Holt on, El Ahmadi off.
- Aston Villa Substitution
- 79'CONTROVERSY! Southampton want a penalty as the ball strikes Bertrand on the arm from point-blank range. Corner given.
- 78'Agbonlahor scampers after a long ball. Boruc sprints off his line to claim the loose ball.
- 77'Cometh the hour, cometh the man - Grant Holt is warming up for Villa.
- 76'What must Mauricio Pochettino be thinking? His side have been superior and all his attacking options are on the pitch.
- 75'Wanyama is down, clutching his right leg...
- 74'Lallana and Shaw exchange passes down the left but their route inside is blocked. Southampton deserve this.
- 73Missed an earlier change: James Ward-Prowse was replaced by young striker Sam Gallagher.
- 72'Baker slices his clearance to the edge of the box, but no Southampton player is on hand to crash the loose ball into the net.
- 71'Villa edge forward, perhaps sensing an opportunity to snatch the points. Scrap that, they've lost the ball.
- 70'Guzan spills after bouncing into Fonte - but the referee's whistle prevents Southampton tapping into the empty net.
- 69'Here goes Shaw... Diverted behind for a corner. Villa opened up once more.
- 68'Lambert swings a low cross into the danger zone but Villa manager to clear. Again. Please, someone score.
- 67'Westwood chests it in towards Agbonlahor... Booted clear by Lambert.
- Southampton Substitution
- 66'Shaw catches Albrighton... Yellow card. Chance for Villa to send the big lads forward.
- Southampton Yellow card
- 65'Ashley Westwood has a crack from the edge of the area... It's so bad.
- 64'Albrighton has a pop from the edge of the area which Boruc claims (at the second attempt).
- 63'Nathaniel Clyne almost scores an own goal but Boruc is aware to save. It's not much of a chance, but I'll utilise the highlight icon as not much else has happened.
- 62'Lovren goes into the book for that foul on Agbonlahor.
- 61'A low cross from the left narrowly evades Lambert. Villa break immediately and force a free-kick.
- Southampton Yellow card
- 60'This is all a bit dull. Surely Villa have to attack at some point this afternoon? Thousands of fans have paid to watch this, Mr Lambert...
- 59'Southampton, through Shaw again, come forward. It's not to be.
- 58'Nothing happened in minute number 58.
- 57'Southampton penning the hosts in. Can they find an elusive goal?
- 56'The homes fans get upset when El Ahmadi is punished for a coming together.
- 55'Surely Hodgson has to take Luke Shaw to the World Cup, as understudy to Leighton Baines? Ashley Cole isn't playing and the Southampton man impresses every time he plays.
- 54'Shaw bombs down the left flank... He plays it across goal to where Lallana lurks but the midfielder fluffs his effort. To be fair, it was slightly behind him.
- 53'Another Lallana stat for you all to enjoy.
- 52'Lovren gives Weimann a naughty shove. Scrappy start to this second-half.
- 51'El Ahmadi's cross is deflected... Onto the roof of the net.
- 50'The chance arose after Artur Boruc's clearance barely rose above waist-height.
- 49'El Ahmadi feigns to shoot, darts inside and has a crack... Very, very tame.
- 48'Only three goals in the four Premier League 3pm kick-offs. Not ideal.
- 47'Albrighton weaves into the penalty area and goes to ground... He's quickly back on his feet. Doesn't even both appealing.
- 46'The second-half is alive and well.
- 45+2'Half-time at Villa Park. Goalless at the break.
- 45+1'Albrighton swings a delightful ball into the penalty area... Delph can't connect properly at the back post.
- 45'CLOSE! Bertrand's cross is palmed against the leg of Lovren and squirms wide. Southampton escape.
- 44'Lallana flings himself theatrically to the floor deep inside the Villa half. No free-kick.
- 43'Lambert attempts an audacious dink on the edge of the penalty area but it doesn’t come off.
- 42'Shaw tries to feed Lallana down the left but it's overhit and Guzan gathers.
- 41'Just caught a glance of Steve Bruce and David Moyes sitting side-by-side in the stands. Phil Neville also in attendance looking thoroughly miserable. Can’t blame him.
- 40'Agbonlahor is in acres of space through the middle! The reason? He was offside.
- 39'Bertrand wins a corner. Unsurprisingly, it comes to nothing.
- 38'The home crowd are unnervingly quiet. No cheers. No chants. No boos. Nothing.
- 37'Ryan Bertrand pings the free-kick into the penalty area... And out of the penalty area. No one attacked it. Woeful.
- 36'A flailing arm from Victor Wanyama catches El Ahmadi in the face. Free-kick, but no card from Lee Mason. Probably the correct decision.
- 35'Lambert charges down a Guzan clearance but the ball bounces harmlessly out of play for a goal-kick.
- 34'Embarrassing tactics from Aston Villa. They're playing a mid-table side, it's goalless, but they're refusing to put any pressure on the ball. What happened to the exciting Villa of yesteryear?
- 33'The visitors pump a free-kick into the mixer. Villa clear.
- 32'GREAT SAVE! The ball falls kindly to Davis inside the penalty area but the Southampton man sees his effort clawed clear by Guzan.
- 31'Shaw pops in space on the left. Can he pick out a team-mate? Not quite. Corner to Southampton.
- 30'So tidy, in fact, that Karim El Ahmadi decides to give the 19-year-old a pointless push.
- 29'James Ward-Prowse, another England youngster, is having a very tidy game in midfield.
- 28'Lallana swivels on the edge of the penalty area and feeds Schneiderlin... Will the assist drought end? No, his colleague elects to pass rather than shoot.
- 27'Lallana glances up to the Birmignham sky after misplacing a pass.
- 26'Paul Lambert appears quite content with the opening 25 minutes. Similar to the match at St Mary's, where Southampton enjoyed a lot of possession but went on to lose.
- 25'Southampton are really missing Jay Rodriguez in attack. Or Dani Osvaldo for that matter. They need someone who's going to stretch the Villa backline.
- 24'Think Adam Lallana deserves to go Brazil. Well, consider this stat...
- 23'On the subject of Albrighton: what has happened to the lad? He was once the bright, young thing of the Premier League. Now he struggles to get in the Villa side.
- 22'Shaw is too strong for Mark Albrighton and carries the ball forward. The young left-back is quite the player.
- 21'Groans echo around Villa Park as the hosts concede possession.
- 20'After an electric opening five minutes, the game has regressed into a scrappy affair.
- 19'The Villa mascot trots across to quickly collect the ball for a home throw. How helpful.
- 18'Guzan picks up the ball on the edge of his area and swings his arms to usher his team-mates forward. Reluctantly, they oblige.
- 17'Tempted to go elsewhere in your pursuit of goals? Don’t bother. All the other 3pm kick-offs are 0-0.
- 16'And a small stoppage while the Southampton defender receives attention. He should be fine to continue.
- 15'WHACK! Lovren is in a spot of bother after taking a thump to the face.
- 14'Earlier this season, Villa beat Southampton 3-2 in an entertaining clash at St Mary's.
- 13'Davis attempts to spark another Southampton attack. The offside flag stops him.
- 12'Dejan Lovren dives in to halt an Agbonlahor charge.
- 11'Southampton are ridiculously comfoirtable in possession, although they are being aided by Villa's willingness to drop deep.
- 10'The Villa Park faithful respond, unleashing a huge roar to spur their side to greater things.
- 9'Andreas Weimann tries to play a quick one-two with Gabriel Agbonlahor but it doesn't quite come off.
- 8'A quick reminder of a turbalent week in Paul Lambert's reign.Premier League - Villa owner Lerner backs Lambert over 'unexpected issues'
Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner praised manager Paul Lambert on Wednesday for the way he has handled "unexpected issues".
- 7'More Southampton possession.
- 6'It's taken them 350 seconds, but Villa have finally strung three passes together in the opposition half.
- 5'LAMBERT MISSES AGAIN! Steven Davis picks out Lambert, but the striker diverts the ball the wrong side of the post.
- 4'The visitors continue to boss the game. Morgan Schneiderlin looking particularly lively in the middle.
- 3'Shaw bombs down the left flank and pings a cross into Lambert... Brad Guzan saves!
- 2'Southampton enjoying the early play. Big chance for Rickie Lambert to stake his claim for a place in Roy Hodgson's England squad.
- 1'We're up and running at Villa Park!
- 14:55FACT! Aston Villa have conceded just six goals in their last 12 home league games against Southampton, and never more than one in a game in this run.
- 14:50Mauricio Pochettino: "Against Cardiff we did everything required to win on that day but it just didn’t happen for us. We tried everything that we could to get a good result from that game, and it just wasn’t to be for us. Against Aston Villa it will be the same story, we will go out ready and hoping to win or get a good result against them."
- 14:45Paul Lambert is under pressure and recently saw his two assistants suspended during a club investigation over allegations of bullying: "My whole intention is to be here next year and the year after that, but everyone knows what football is like. Randy is the owner. It's his club and he can do what he wants with it, but we have a good relationship. I love it here. I never came here for the club to be where it is. This club should never be in the position it has been for the past four years."
- 14:40Artur Boruc has beaten his back injury in time. The Poland shot-stopper's return offsets the continued absence of fellow goalkeeper Kelvin Davis, also with back trouble. Gazzaniga drops to the bench. James Ward-Prowse gets a start with Adam Lallana playing a more advanced role. Jay Rodriguez (knee), Maya Yoshida (knee) and Gaston Ramirez (ankle) also miss out on the Villa Park clash.
- 14:35Leandro Bacuna is back in the Villa team. The Dutchman, who can play at full-back or in midfield, missed the defeat to Crystal Palace with a hamstring strain but is back in contention to face the Saints. Otherwise, Paul Lambert is choosing from the same squad with Christian Benteke, Libor Kozak, Charles N'Zogbia, Jores Okore, Nicklas Helenius and Gary Gardner all long-term absentees.
- 14:30(Web users only) - Southampton announce their starting XI in pictures. How cute.
- 14:25The 1971-72 Villa side were signing memorabilia at the club shop today. That side won the old Third Division. Ominous.
- 14:20TEAMS - Aston Villa: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Bertrand, Albrighton, Westwood, Delph, El Ahmadi, Agbonlahor, Weimann; Subs: Steer, Sylla, Tonev, Lowton, Clark, Holt, Robinson /// Southampton: Boruc, Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Lallana, Lambert; Subs: Gazzaniga, Cork, Guly, Chambers, Hooiveld, Reed, Gallagher.
- 14:15Hello and welcome to our LIVE coverage of the Premier League clash between Aston Villa and Southampton, kick off at 3pm UK time.
|Team Manager:||Tim Sherwood|
|Team Manager:||Ronald Koeman|
Players Sub Time
|K. El Ahmadi||0||0||0||9||0||0||4||1||0||0||0||80|