Premier League - Whittingham spot kick earns point for Cardiff against Stoke
- -And that is full time! The points are shared!
- 90+4Whelan switches to Cameron who crosses but Cala clears really well. Odemwingie shoots from distance but the ball is blocked.
- 90+3Stoke with the ball. Lots of players in the box but no cross yet.
- 90+2Stoke puishing for a winner here. Assaidi takes on Theophile Catherine but he can't get round him and wins a corner eventually.
- 90+1CROSSBAR! Walters curls one towards the top corner from the edge of the area and it hits the top side of the bar. Keeper was well beaten.
- 90'GREAT SAVE! Assaidi cut inside to have a clear strike at goal but he shot low to Marshall's right and the Scot was equal to it to keep Cardiff in the game!
- 89'The corner goes deep and Begovic is able to punch clear.
- 88'Kenwyne Jones helps the ball on to Campbell who gets forward to win a corner off Wilson as he got to the byline.
- 87'good cross from Assaidi on the right towards Crouch but it is headed clear by Caulker.
- 86'Good save Marshall! Odemwingie let fly from distance with his left foot. It was on target going into the bottom corner but the keeper got across to save for a corner.
- Stoke City Substitution
- 85'Crouch booked for barging Cala off the ball. Seemed petty.
- Cardiff City Substitution
- 84'Fabio comes off for Declan John at left back.
- 83'Cala receives a talking to from the ref after an altercation with Crouch. No harm done.
- 82'Kenwyne Jones almost picks out Campbell in the box with a clever pass but the striker had gone early and was flagged offside.
- 81'Daehli makes his last contribution as he is withdrawn for Kenwyne Jones to come on against his old side.
- Cardiff City Substitution
- 80'Zaha with space on the right. He gives it to Mutch outside him who switches out to Daehli on the left. He feeds Fabio on the overlap but he gives the ball away with a sloppy pass inside.
- 79'Campbell goes down in the box but really he just lost his footing as he cut inside to get a better shooting angle.
- Stoke City Substitution
- 78'Assaidi returns from a knee injury after Arnautovic is subbed by Mark Hughes.
- 77'Another Stoke corner. Ireland gets it over but Marshall punches clear. Whelan immediately sets Arnautovic who shaped up to bend it top corner but he gets too much elevation and it goes over.
- 76'At the other end, some Odemwingie pressure on Fabio earns his side a corner. Ireland takes to Crouch who wins his header but he cna only loop it up and into the arms of Marshall in goal.
- 75'Ireland finds Muniesa in acres but his cross is headed clear to Zaha who carries the ball the length of the pitch, riding tackles before whipping a ball across Shawcross can only clear for a corner.
- 74'Odemwingie took too long on the ball and encouraged Cala to pressure him. He eventually trips the nippy winger and earns himself a yellow card.
- Cardiff City Yellow card
- 73'Begovic gathers and sets Nzonzi on his way. He gives it to Artaunovic who attempts a fancy flick round the corner to the overlapping Nzonzi but it doesn't come off and Cardiff get a throw.
- 72'Theophile Catherine wins a corner on the right. Whittingham trots over to take.
- 71'Stoke with the ball at the back. They move it out to Muniesa who comes back to Shawcross. No Cardiff pressure on the ball.
- 70'Zaha thinks he gets free of Muniesa but his touchwas poor and not even his jet heels could catch it up as it rolled beyond the byline.
- 69'Muniesa flings a ball over to Ireland on the right. He tries an intricate back heel to Crouch which Fabio just watches roll out of play.
- 68'Odemwingie tries to jink his way into some space but Whittingham gets back to tackle him.
- 67'Cardiff sportingly give the ball back to Stoke from the restart.
- 66'Scrappy period where both sides are giving the ball away cheaply. Nzonzi now in a heap on the floor after a slide tackle from Mutch. He is clutching his back and it doesn't look good.
- 65'Zaha forced backwards by Nzonzi who then dispossess' him.
- 64'Ireland starting to dictate the game aain. He plays it to Muniesa who gets a corner from a deflected cross.
- 63'Corner to Stoke taken by Ireland but cleared. Whelan picks it up from distance and strikes. He curls it to the top corner but it just goes wide.
- 62'Theophile Catherine throws it out of play from a throw in...
- 61'Stoke have steadied the shiip and are enjoying a lot more of the ball now.
- 60'Looks like Zaha is coming on for Kim who has had a tidy game today.
- Cardiff City Substitution
- 59'Ireland lays it to Arnautovic but his cross is cutout by Medel who carries the ball out and gives it to Kim.
- 58'Nzonzi dribbles into the Cardiff half and lays it to Muniesa. He tries to cross but it is blocked.
- 57'Stoke on the rocks here. Need to get some calm back into their play.
- 56'OFFSIDE GOAL! Whittingham plays it to Caulker who shoots and produces a great save from Begovic twice as he got up to save the rebound. Cala was offside as he nodded it in.
- 55'Another corner causes danger but Stoke manage to clear it.
- 54'Corner to Cardiff. Whittingham takes to the far post but Wilson does well to head it clear as Campbell came steaming in behind him.
- 53'Whittingham takes a free kick which deflects to Campbell free at the near post. He tries to volley it but hits an airshot allowing Stoke to clear the danger.
- 52'Nzonzi booked for dissent. Wilson tripped Campbell and Nzonzi was angry about something earning him a booking.
- Stoke City Yellow card
- 51'GOAL! Whittingham passes it the other side of Begovic who went diving to his left! We're all square!
- Cardiff City Penalty
Left Footed - Bottom Center
- 50'PENALTY AGAIN! Campbell just gets to the ball before Nzonzi who stuck his leg out and tripped the striker. That is stone wall. Whittingham to take.
- 49'Lovely passing from Daehli and Mutch who work Fabio to the byline. His cross is cleared behind for a corner. Whittingham takes but it floats over everybody.
- Stoke City Yellow card
- 48'First card of the game for Odemwingie who bundles over Cala from behind. Maybe a bit harsh but it was clumsy.
- 47'Late tackle from Whittingham on Nzonzi in the middle of the park and Webb blows his whistle for a free kick.
- 46'And we're back underway in South Wales. Can Cardiff turn it around this half?
- -And that is all there was time for this half. Arnautovic has given Stoke the lead going into the second half.
- Stoke City Penalty
Right Footed - Bottom Center
- 45+3HE FINISHED IT! Arnautovic drills it down the middle to give Stoke the lead!
- 45+3PENALTY! Looks soft. Odemwingie facing away from goal and Kim comes across. They tangle legs and the striker goes down. Perhaps there was contact but harsh on Cardiff.
- 45+2Shot from Muniesa goes flying towards the top corner but Caulker gets enough on it to send it over. Ireland takes the corner which falls to Crouch.
- 45+1Arnautovic takes on the full back and clips a cross to the far post but even Crouch can't reach it.
- 45'Theophile Catherine now up on his feet. Medel puts the ball into the box from deep but it is cleared.
- 44'Marshall smashes it long but Cameron clears under no pressure. Nzonzi goes closing down Caulker but he lays it to Theophile Catherine on the right. Whelan gets across and scythes down the full back who is now down injured.
- 43'GREAT SAVE! Whittingham whips the ball over the wall and heading for the top corner but Begovic flung himself across the goal to make a fingertip save!
- 42'Whittingam is over it. Taken a whole minute to take.
- 41'Cardiff slow in possession at the back. Cala decides to go on a run but lays it off to Kim. He goes out to Theophile Catherine who gives it back to him. He lays it in to Campbell who is felled from behind by Wilson about 30 yards out just to the right of the goal.
- 40'Begovic near the half way line! He has a dodgy kick when Campbell is bearing down on him and so goes chasing after it before Whelan tells him to get back in goal.
- 39'Muniesa retrieves the ball on the left and gives it to Ireland. He is looking for something forward but can't and so is forced to go back to Nzonzi.
- 38'Great work from Fabio to get te ball back from Whelan. He then carries on down the line only for the pass from Mutch to be innaccurate and Stoke clear.
- 37'Whelan clips one over to Arnautovic on the left but Kim is back to cover the run.
- 36'Whelan finds Nzonzi in the middle who plays it to Arnautovic. He drifts inside onto his right foot and lets fly but Caulker is there to block from a dangerous looking shot.
- 35'Stoke in possession inside the Cardiff half but much like most of the game, they're struggling to break down a stubborn defence.
- 34'Ireland dispossess' Him in the middle. He plays it to Arnautovic on the left whose cross is accurate to Crouch in the middle but he can't get enough on the header to cause Marshall a problem.
- 33'Medel starting to dictate possession for Cardiff. Just feeding it to Kim and Daehli to cause havoc up the pitch.
- 32'Long ball from Theophile Catherine looking for Campbell on the left but it i not accurate and Cameron lets it run by him for a throw in.
- 31'Daehli scampers down the right and gets the ball back to Kim in the area. He lays it to Fabio and his cross is overhit to the far post.
- 30'Good tracking from Arnautovic who stops Theophile Catherine from marauding on the right. Caulker eventually emerges with the ball but his wayward pass sees Stoke get it back.
- Stoke City Substitution
- 29'GREAT SAVE! First time Cardiff have allowed any space in midfield. Ireland drives through the middle and lays in Odemwingie on the right who smashes a first time effort at goal but Marshall flings himself across goal to save.
- 28'Good effort from Campbell on the edge of the area. He and Mutch combine and the ball drops nicely for him to hit first time in the centre of the goal but the deflection takes the ball over the bar.
- 27'Pieters is down injured and the physio is on to see to him.
- 26'Good play from Kim who goes drifting past Cameron on the left. He lays it to Mutch on the edge of the area but his side-footed first time effort goes harmlessly wide.
- 25'Medel plays a square pass to the left but the ball is half cut out by Ireland who is quickly dispossessed.
- 24'Stoke see a chance to counter but Ireland slows up the break from Cameron before Cardiff work had to pressure and get back.
- 23'Great run from Daehli who danced past challenges on the left from Ireland and Whelan. He gets a shot away but it is deflected wide for a corner. Whittingham takes but Shawcross clears.
- 22'Medel gives it to Mutch in the middle. He spreads it wide to Kim who finds Daehli. He goes the long way round to Mutch who finds Theophile Catherine but his flick round the corner to Daehli is cut out.
- 21'Kim drives in from the left and has a shot which is blocked. Arnautovic sensing some space tries to break but Medel gets across to dispossess him and retain the ball for Cardiff.
- 20'Arnautovic coming very deep to get the ball because Cardiff are so well drilled once Stoke enter their half.
- 19'Cardiff doing well to win the second balls this game. Daehli finds Mutch who drifs past Nzonzi and lets fly with his left foot from distance but it gets a deflection which makes Begovic's save a lot easier.
- 18'Nzonzi frustrated attempts an effort from 35 yards out but he drags it low and wide.
- 17'Kim drifts inside from the right but plays it to Mutch who come back to the wing. He and Theophile Catherine combine but a ball over the top finds nobody.
- 16'Free kick from Ireland on the right almost finds Crouch who causes panic in the box but he gets ahead of the ball and can't make a meaningful contact at the far post to divert the cross goalwards.
- 15'Whelan and Nzonzi exchange passes in the middle before it is switched to Arnautovic on the left. He takes on the full back and gets a cross in which Caulker heads clear.
- 14'Arnautovic with some space on the left. He drifts inside and tries to clip a curling ball over to Crouch at the far post but the lanky striker couldn't get there and it floats out harmlessly for a goal kick.
- 13'Ireland looks to set Cameron away down the right but his plass is deflected out for a throw in.
- 12'Arnautovic tries to turn Theophile Catherine on the half way line but cna only dribble it out of play and give the ball back to Cardiff. They've been very disciplined and diligent in their defensive work so far.
- 11'Wilson goes long down the line but noone was chasing as they were all looking for feet. Marshall gathers and rolls the ball out for Theophile Catherine.
- 10'Whelan comes very deep looking for the ball. Stoke happy in possession and Cardiff happy for them to have the ball in their own half.
- 9'Nzonzi with some good work in the middle to ease Daehli off the ball and get possession back for Stoke.
- 8'Heavy touch from Campbell looking to hold the ball up gifts it back to Stoke who build from the back. Wilson finds Arnautovic but he is forced backwards as Cardiff get into their shape.
- 7'Late challenge from Nzonzi on Kim as he nips past him wide right on the half way line. Gets a talking to from the referee.
- 6'CHANCE! Jordan Mutch gets into the area after a clever slide rule pass from Daehli isn't cut out by Shawcross but his low shot is straight at Begovic who saves low.
- 5'Good triangles from Stoke. Arnautovic and Ireland combine with Nzonzi in the middle but a longer pass down the line for Pieters by the Frenchman is overhit and it goes out for a goal kick.
- 4'Fabio gets into a good position on the left wing inside Cameron but his delivery is overhit to the far post when Campbell had gone to the near post.
- 3'Early chance. Daehli wriggles in to the box from the left side, evading a challenge from Nzonzi. He strikes but Pieters gets across to block for a corner.
- 2'Cardiff controlling much of the early possession but a long ball to Campbell from Cala sees Cameron able to break but he runs it out of play on the half way line.
- 1'And we're underway here at the Cardiff City stadium. Referee Howard Webb toots his whistle and Cardiff kick us off shooting from left to right.
- 14:55And the odds just before kick off. Cardiff can be backed at 6/4 while a rare away win for Stoke can be had at 21/10. A draw has odds of 12/5.
- 14:50STATS: Jonathan Walters scored two goals in extra-time on Stoke City's last trip to Cardiff in January 2011. Steven Caulker and Ryan Shawcross have played every minute of every game for their clubs this season, two of three players to have done so in the Premier League. Cardiff are yet to score an own goal this season while Peter Crouch needs one more assist to match his biggest haul (six) in the Premier League, a feat he has achieved four times before.
- 14:45STATS: Cardiff haven't beaten Stoke in their last seven attempts losing four and drawing three.The South Wales side have also made the fewest tackles in the Premier League this season. They've also not won back to back top flight games since April 1962. But they will be buoyed by the fact Stoke have won just ten of their 43 points this season on their travels.
- 14:40Mark Hughes knows his side will have a tough game of it against relegation threatened Cardiff: "It is not an easy fixture for us. They are still very much in the relegation fight and will be doing everything to get out of the situation they find themselves in. They came to the Britannia Stadium and played well in fairness, but we weren't playing as well then as we are now."
- 14:35Solskjaer has had more to deal with than just coaching his players this week: "We've had issues internally. The players have dealt with it fantastically. We are in a fight to survive and there is always going to be some noise on and off the pitch. To move forward we need to make a few changes. We have made a few changes and probably more. You come into a new club that has not been yours, and you wan to make it yours, over time, gradually."
- 14:30Mark Hughes also names an unchanged side from the team that beat Newcastle last weekend. The only real news being Charlie Adam has recovered well enough from a nose operation to make the bench while Oussama Assaidi has stepped up his recovery from a knee injury and has also made the bench.
- 14:25Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must have been delighted at last week's crucial 1-0 win away to Southampton and makes no changes from that side. Kenwyne Jones returns to the bench against his former club after missing last weekend's win following a blow to the kidneys.
- 14:20TEAMS: Cardiff City - Marshall, Theophile-Catherine, Caulker, Cala, Fabio, Medel, Whittingham, Kim, Mutch, Daehli, Campbell. Subs - Lewis, Turner, Jones, Eikrem, Gunnarsson, Zaha, John. /// Stoke City - Begovic, Cameron, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters, Arnautovic, Nzonzi, Ireland, Whelan, Odemwingie, Crouch. Subs - Sorensen, Muniesa, Adam, Palacis, Walters, Assaidi, Wilkinson.
- 14:15Hello and welcome to live coverage of Cardiff City vs Stoke in the Premier League. Team news to follow shortly.
|Team Manager:||Russell Slade|
|Team Manager:||Mark Hughes|
Players Sub Time
|M. Möller Daehli||0||0||0||34||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||81|