- 90+4'FULL-TIME! Liverpool 2-1 Southampton. Mark Clattenburg calls time on an entertaining encounter. Southampton will be kicking themselves...
- 90+3''You'll Never Walk Alone' sounds out around Anfield. It looks as though the hosts are going to see this one out.
- 90+2'Sturridge tries to wriggle his way through the Southampton defence, but it's not to be for the striker. Two minutes for the visitors...
- 90+1'Mignolet has been so shaky this afternoon, but that save from Schneiderlin has surely secured them all three points.
- 90'Four minutes of added time signalled.
- 89'The match continues to open out as Southampton commit numbers forward.
- 88'Miss of the season.
- 87'WHAT A CHANCE! Schneiderlin thunders a shot at goal which Mignolet does superbly to tip onto the bar. The ball crashes down and into the line. Did it go in? Doesn't matter because Long will surely head home the rebound... No! He's put it wide.
- 86'YELLOW (belated update): Davis was booked just prior to Sturridge's goal.
- 85'Anfield is still a very nervy place right now.
- 84'SOUTHAMPTON SUB! Davis is replaced by Lloyd Isgrove - a kid with a bundle of energy.
- 83'Sterling and Lambert attempt to launch an attack down the right. A failed attempt.
- 82'Allen gets confused. Instead of shooting or crossing, he passes straight to a dark shirt.
- Southampton Substitution
- 81'Joe Allen shows wonderful composure to chest control the ball inside his own area, swivel and clear.
- 80'GOAL! Liverpool 2-1 Southampton. Henderson’s cross flicks off an opponent and into the air. Sterling nods it in the direction of Sturridge who gets the faintest of touches to divert it beyond Forster. Relief at Anfield!
- Liverpool Goal
Left Footed - Bottom Left
- 79'Gerrard's free-kick just evades Lovren and ends up in the grateful gloves of Forster.
- 78'CHANCE! Sturridge has a crack, it loops into the sky and falls at the feet of Lambert. Surely not... The former Saints striker lashes at the dropping ball but, somehow, manages to skew his effort away from goal.
- 77'LIVERPOOL SUB! Rickie Lambert fulfils a childhood dream by coming on for Liverpool. Coutinho makes way.
- Liverpool Substitution
- 76'"Oh when the Saints... Go marching in..." rings out around Anfield.
- 75'Fifteen minutes to go. Can Liverpool rally themselves to retake the lead?
- 74'Pelle clips a slow, curving pass towards Ward-Prowse but it's intercepted metres from the intended target.
- Southampton Substitution
- 73'SOUTHAMPTON SUB! Here comes another new boy. Tadic departs, on comes Shane Long.
- 72'The linesman raises his flag into the sky as Sturridge strays beyond the last man. It's a shame, as Liverpool were in behind.
- 71'Sterling watches a cross drift over his head before setting off in pursuit of the ball. He keeps it in play but fails to pick out a team-mate.
- 70'Sturridge cuts in from the right, beats his man, then another, then steps on the ball...
- 69'Skrtel mops up the danger on halfway and tries to get Liverpool motoring forward.
- 68'DESPERATE! The Liverpool defence collapses as Clyne tiptoes into the hosts' penalty area. It breaks to Ward-Prowse who elects to pass when he probably should have hit it.
- 67'Tadic has the opportunity to swing a cross into the penalty area, but his delivery lands in the gloves of the Liverpool stopper.
- 66'YELLOW! Schneiderlin goes into the book for a naughty challenge.
- 65'LIVERPOOL SUB! Lucas departs with Joe Allen coming on.
- Southampton Yellow card
- 64'Pelle and Tadic almost link-up on the edge of the Liverpool penalty area. The hosts are wobbling.
- Liverpool Substitution
- 63'WHAT A CHANCE! Southampton break down the left. It finds its way to Ward-Prowse inside the penalty area, who flicks it towards Davis. He must score... No - he's bottled it! Straight at Mignolet.
- 62'Anfield is a rather quiet venue right now, with the exception of the away end which is bouncing.
- 61'PENALTY SHOUT! Albeit a quiet one. Coutinho takes a tumble inside the area, but Mark Clattenburg says no.
- 60'Rickie Lambert embarks on a warm-up jog down the touchline. What a story that would be...
- 59'Mignolet flaps nervously at the delivery, causing the ball to spiral out to the backpost. Will he be punished? The answer: no.
- 58'Southampton aren't settling for a point and immediately force a corner.
- 57'Breaking news: Liverpool submit bid for Clyne.
- 56'GOAL! Liverpool 1-1 Southampton. Tadic flicks a sublime backheel into the path of Clyne who thunders the ball into the roof of the net from inside the penalty area!
- Southampton Goal
Right Footed - Top Right
- 55'Bertrand is screaming for the ball - and so he should, after charging 70 yards down the left - but Tadic delays his pass and the chance vanishes.
- 54'Fair to say that Liverpool edged that first-half, but will be slightly concerned at how Southampton grew into the contest.
- 53'Interesting fact from the bunch at Opta. Can Liverpool continue their impressive home record?
- 52'Lovely stuff from Pelle who drops into the hole, brings the ball down on his chest and releases a team-mate down the left. Saints are starting to push higher up the pitch.
- 51'It's whipped into the mixer, but the linesman signals to say the ball went out of play en route to the penalty area.
- 50'More moans from the home faithful as Wanyama profits from some inept passing from the hosts. Saints have a corner.
- 49'Manquillo... Coutinho... Sloppy pass... Groans.
- 48'Now it’s Southampton’s turn to flood forward through the previously quiet Steven Davis. It ricochets around on the edge of the area, but Liverpool get numbers back to avert the threat.
- 47'Liverpool rob the visitors of possession and attempt a foray down the right. Almost.
- 46'We're back!
- 45+3'That's our lot for half number one. We'll be back in 15 minutes.
- 45+2'Sterling shifts the ball onto his right foot and has a pop. Beaten away by Forster before the flag denies the onrushing Coutinho.
- 45+1'Schneiderlin cuts inside and unleashes a fine curling effort. Mignolet scampers across to turn behind.
- 45'The stadium announcer - who has a scarily deep voice - announces there will be a minimum of two minutes added time.
- 44'It's Sturridge vs. Fonte inside the Southampton penalty area... The visiting defender wins the joust.
- 43'Ward-Prowse and Pelle combine to ruin a Southampton attack. The former passed in one direction; the latter ran the other.
- 42'This time it's Tadic to deliver... Nope, he's not cleared the first man. Disappointing.
- 41'Ward-Prowse flashes a low cross into the penalty area. Headed behind for a corner. Saints starting to rack up the set-pieces.
- 40'Johnson looks aghast as he's penalised for a foul. Southampton have a free-kick out on the right.
- 39'Ward-Prowse tries to bend a shot into the far corner from 25 yards. Should have passed.
- 38'Manquillo charges after a Lovren diagonal and expertly hooks the ball into the penalty area. No one in red gambled.
- 37'Oh dear. Four consecutive sloppy passes gift Gerrard a chance to have a crack at an unguarded goal. Sadly for Liverpool, his touch is poor.
- 36'The resulting corner is fizzed in from the right, causing brief panic in the Liverpool defence. The hosts eventually clear at the second attempt.
- 35'James Ward-Prowse swings in the free-kick, a huge gust of Merseyside wind carries towards the top corner and Mignolet turns it over the bar.
- 34'YELLOW! Javi Manquillo clatters into Tadic and deservedly enters the book.
- Liverpool Yellow card
- 33'Wanyama skids across the turf on his bum to rob Coutinho of possession. Super tackle.
- 32'Skrtel jogs back, eyes fixed on the bouncing ball, before nodding back to his keeper. He's looked decent thus far.
- 31'Well, it doesn't appear Wanyama is too badly damaged. He's back amongst the action.
- 30'Slight concern for Southampton: Midfield beast Wanyama is down. Ominous.
- 29'Rodgers stands on the touchline - pen in one hand, notebook in the other - looking pensive.
- 28'Johnson crashes a speculative effort into the crowd.
- 27'Morgan Schneiderlin blazes at goal from a narrow angle. Wild. His head's just not in it.
- 26'Sterling briefly steals back possession on the halfway line, but can't bring the ball under his spell. The visitors are rocking.
- 25'Sturridge is hacked down inside the opposition half, but the referee waves play on despite no obvious advantage.
- 24'Such a calm finish from a player who used to have a composure rating of 0/100. And what an assist from Henderson. Who needs Suarez?
- 23'GOAL! Liverpool 1-0 Southampton. Henderson raises his chin, spots Sterling in acres of space on the inside-left channel and plays a beautiful, sweeping pass out to the youngster. Sterling bears down on goal before coolly slotting into the bottom corner. The hosts lead!
- Liverpool Goal
Right Footed - Bottom Right
- 22'An unfortunate few seconds for Mignolet. First, he's beaten to a corner by Glen Johnson then, in trying to retreive the loose ball, twice punches thin air before belatedly clasping his gloves around the sphere.
- 21'Out of nothing, Sterling works a little space on the edge of the penalty area and stabs at goal... Straight at Fraser Forster.
- 20'Victor Wanyama slaps his thighs in frustration as Philippe Coutinho goes down easily to win a free-kick on halfway.
- 19'Henderson boots the ball into an advertising hoarding and then demands a throw. Sorry, Jordan pal, but you're never getting that one.
- 18'Mignolet races off his line and pounces on the ball at the feet of non-Brazilian Pelle.
- 17'Gerrard whips a free-kick into the mixer which the Southampton defence combine to clear. This one's yet to come to life.
- 16'Maya Yoshida plays a hospital pass across the face of goal. Fortunately for the Japanese defender, he's only guilty of conceding a throw.
- 15'Graziano Pelle pops up inside the opposition penalty area, but the ball skips over his head.
- 14'PENALTY SHOUT! Liverpool charge forward down their right flank, it breaks to Daniel Sturridge in the box who is scythed down just inside the penalty area... Nope, the ref's having none of that.
- 13'Ryan Bertrand scampers down the left wing, but a big toe from Martin Skrtel wins back possession...
- 12'The linesman reminds us of his existence by flagging Dusan Tadic offside.
- 11'Simon Mignolet ventures out of his penalty area to contribute to a Liverpool attack. Ten passes later and the hosts still have possession... Their reward: a throw, right by the left corner flag.
- 10'Sturridge forces a corner after being released by Gerrard. The Kop rise to salute their team's efforts.
- 9'Jordan Henderson is aggressively pointing at an opponent. He's not happy. Sort of like that Aston Villa fan yesterday, but without the speedy cursing.
- 8'Gerrard drops into the centre-back position to try and spark an attack, but Southampton close the gaps quickly.
- 7'Daniel Sturridge travels inside, puts his left foot through the ball from distance and sees his shot fly narrowly over the bar. Decent effort.
- 6'Sterling ghosts forward, shimmies left before carrying the ball down the inside-right channel. Unfortunately, he forgets how to pass and the chance vanishes.
- 5'Gerrard pings a crossfield ball out to the left flank which is sliced into the air by Nathaniel Clyne. Southampton survive.
- 4'Lively start, particularly by the visitors. Liverpool yet to find their way into this encounter.
- 3'Dejan Lovren receives the ball in defence. Boos ring out from the away end. Great stuff.
- 2'Got an opinion on today’s game, the duo’s season prospects or want to vent some frustration? Then get in touch via Twitter – @BenSnowball – and I’ll endeavour to include your thoughts as the drama unfolds.Ben Snowball (BenSnowball) on Twitter
The latest from Ben Snowball (@BenSnowball). The only human to run at the Olympic Stadium & score at St Mary’s. Write & speak about sport, often to a tolerable standard. Made famous by You’ve Been Framed. Guildford
- 1'Liverpool, all in red, get us underway at Anfield.
- 13:25Steven Gerrard, in a rather fetching red tracksuit, pauses in the tunnel – his eyes focused on the floor. He mutters a quick ‘come on, boys’, then pops a hand on each mascot and ushers them out onto the Anfield pitch. Cue huge roar. Sunday football is almost back.
- 13:20Liverpool must juggle European and domestic duties this season, leading many to question whether they have the squad to stay in the top four. Given United are still pretty ropey – see Swansea 2-1 Louis van Gaal for details – perhaps the prophecies of doom came a little early.Premier League - Van Gaal has disastrous debut as Swansea stun Manchester United
Louis van Gaal’s first competitive match as Manchester United manager ended in disaster as Swansea claimed a 2-1 victory at Old Trafford.
- 13:15Couple of BIG pre-match stats for you to enjoy…
- 13:10Ronald Koeman on a possible swoop for Aston Villa's Ron Vlaar: "Vlaar became one of the best Oranje defenders at us, at Feyenoord [my old club]. And, at the last World Cup, he became one of the best of the tournament. He's a perfect addition to every group and a real leader. I would really like to have him at Southampton."
- 13:05Some pre-season words from Brendan Rodgers: "If you’re a football player in Europe watching how we played last season and saw our supporters, your reaction would be that you’d want to play in that environment. The most important thing is to have an identity. There is real excitement around the club. It’s a team that plays exciting football. I’m happy with players we have got in."
- 13:00Ronaldo Koeman names zero signings from Liverpool in his starting XI. Graziano Pelle starts in attack for the visitors alongside another summer recruit Dusan Tadic. Interestingly, there’s no Gaston Ramirez or Artur Boruc in the Saints squad.
- 12:55Dejan Lovren slots into the Liverpool defence to face his former club, but Rickie Lambert (benched) and Adam Lallana (injured) miss out. Daniel Sturridge leads the line for the hosts but, unsurprisingly – due to a combination of his hefty ban and transfer to Barcelona – there is no Luis Suarez in the squad…
- 12:50TEAMS – Liverpool: Mignolet, Manquillo, Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Sturridge… Subs: Jones, Toure, Sakho, Allen, Ibe, Can, Lambert /// Southampton: Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Bertrand, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Pelle… Subs: K. Davis, Long, Taider, Cork, Hooiveld, Isgrove, Stephens.
- 12:45Cast your mind back to August 17, 1974. Britain was reeling from the first hung parliament since 1929, nightclub revellers were swaying along to The Three Degree’s ‘When Will I See You Again’ and Liverpool were starting life under new manager Bob Paisley with a 2-1 win over Luton. Flash forward 40 years and Paisley remains one of the club’s greatest managers. The question for today’s fans: can Brendan Rodgers join him in the Anfield Hall of Fame? Well, chapter one of 38 in the 2014/15 Premier League season is about to unfold. Welcome to LIVE coverage as Liverpool welcome Southampton to Merseyside.
|Team Manager:||Brendan Rodgers|
|Team Manager:||Ronald Koeman|