Premier League - City thump United in frantic Manchester derby
- 90+4'Howard Webb calls time on an incredible match of football. At one stage City looked as though they would run riot, but United recovered and notched a late goal to make the score look slightly less damaging. City were brilliant today.
- 90+3'Dzeko has a crack from the edge of the area and is not far away...
- 90+2'Yaya Toure slumps to his knees and Webb takes pity on him. Free-kick City.
- 90+1'Three added minutes signalled.
- 90'Rooney floats along the edge of the City penalty area to win a throw before sending a wayward pass across the pitch to concede possession.
- 89'Kompany has been outstanding today. This time the defender slides in to turn away a Felliani cross.
- 88'Rooney tries his luck again from distance. This time he's not so lucky.
- 87'GOAL! Rooney's free-kick was worth the wait as he curls his effort beyond Hart into the top corner. Stunning strike. Makes the score slightly more respectable for United.
- Manchester United Goal
- 86'The City fans rise again to salute one of their own as Aguero leaves the field to be replaced by Javier Garcia.
- Manchester City Substitution
- 85'Webb just insisting that the wall is 10 yards away. Rooney to take...
- 84'Slight stoppage as Nastasic gathers himself after taking a whack when attempting to tackle Rooney. Free-kick to United.
- 83'Vidic forces Aguero into a mistake and shows little sympathy for the Argentine forward he lies in a heap.
- 82'Fernandinho concedes a free-kick as his flailing hand catches Cleverley in the eye.
- 81'That incident proved it's just not going to be United's day.
- 80'Evra loses Aguero but sees his header crash against the post. The ball breaks to Rooney who beats two light blue shirts before floating the ball back into the area, Hart comes to punch clear but is briefly out of position which allows Rooney to strike at goal. Hacked off the line. A goalmouth scramble ensues. City survive.
- 79'Valencia gets in behind but Kompany slides in to turn his cross behind for a corner.
- 78'Rooney tries to poke the ball through to Cleverley but it's intercepted. City break at speed through Dzeko who has runners either side of him. De Gea saves his shot at the second attempt.
- 77'Milner drifts past Evra all too easily. Smalling heads clear the resulting cross.
- 76'Crisp, intricate passing earns United forward momentum with Cleverley and Felliani heavily involved.
- 75'Standing ovation for Negredo as he leaves the field to be replaced by Dzeko.
- Manchester City Substitution
- 74'"Eden Dzekooooo" sounds out around the Etihad. The Bosnian's arrival is imminent.
- 73'City win a throw deep inside the United half. Zabaleta takes it despite being inside the pitch's perimeter. Webb doesn't mind.
- 72'City haven't been as dominant in possession as they were in the first half but the result has been the same.
- 71'Change for City as James Milner replaces Navas.
- Manchester City Substitution
- 70'Valencia slams the ground in anger after Webb refuses to give him a penalty. His protests earn him a spot in the referee's notebook.
- 69'United's defence goes missing again but Cleverley and Carrick get back and, between them, usher the ball back to De Gea.
- 68'Smalling finds Fellaini just inside the area. His strike at goal forces Hart into a decent stop.
- 67'Evra tries to inject some pace down the left but he's greeted by a wall of light blue.
- 66'Welbeck lines up a shot on the edge of the area. The end result? The ironic cheers from the home end tell the story.
- 65'Of all the United players, Valencia has tried to make things happen by drifting in to start attacks in this second half. It's just not happening for them though.
- 64'Fellaini is harshly penalised for a supposed foul on Zabaleta. Didn't look much in that at all.
- 63'United win a free-kick in van Persie territory. The problem for United is that the Dutchman is in the stands. It's Rooney to take... Straight into the wall.
- 62'Smalling is next to get forward down the right but the defender mistimes his run and is flagged offside.
- 61'Valencia bombs off down the right wing but Kompany is alive to the situation as he slides across the turf to put the ball out for a throw.
- 60'Welbeck cuts inside and shoots. It strikes Nastasic and bounces through to Hart.
- 59'Rooney drops off the forward line to claim Carrick's pass before getting tackled. Half an hour for United to make this respectable.
- 58'Toure pops in the inside-right channel and forces a corner as De Gea parries behind at his front post.
- 57'Good spell of possession for United but City are keeping their shape and making it tricky for the visitors.
- 56'United break down the right flank with Valencia who finds Fellaini. Unfortunately for United the Belgian has strayed offside.
- 55'Smalling's cross dribbles across the box. It finds Rooney. He must score... Nope, he hooks his shot over the bar. Big chance that.
- 54'United win a corner but Kompany rises highest to head clear the resulting set-piece.
- 53'City flood forward again with Aguero leading the charge. It's played out wide before Vidic expertly intercepts ahead of Negredo.
- 52'The City fans are loving this. The United end will be empty soon.
- 51'Tom Cleverley off, Ashley Young on. United look deflated.
- Manchester United Substitution
- 50'GOAL! Navas bombs down the right as an army of City players race up to join him. The United players hardly look interested as the cross finds Nasri who volleys home for 4-0. This is ridiculous.
- Manchester City Goal
- 49'Tom Cleverley is warming up for United. Why not Shinji Kagawa?
- 48'It was woeful marking from United. Negredo was allowed to turn easily and Aguero was all alone in the middle to score.
- 47'GOAL! Negredo rolls his marker inside the area and crosses for Aguero who, despite volleying straight at De Gea, sees his shot bundle over the line. Wow. City lead 3-0.
- Manchester City Goal
- 46'Howard Webb's whistle signals we're ready to go again.
- 45+2'Webb blows his whistle immediately after United kick-off. The visitors have it all to do in the second half.
- 45+1'GOAL! Zabaleta wins a late corner. Nasri whips it in, Negredo beats Smalling to the ball and although his header isn't going on target, Toure pops up to shin in the loose ball. The Etihad erupts! 2-0 City!
- Manchester City Goal
- 45'It doesn't change. City clear it, the ball breaking to Young who can't put it back into the mixer.
- 44'United have certainly recovered from the early City bombardment but they have struggled to create anything of note. But that could change now... They have a free-kick inside the opposition half.
- 43'Valencia has a chance to get at Kolarov but the Ecuadorian elects to shoot from distance. His effort is well wide of Hart's goal.
- 42'The most recent edition of the Rooney/Kompany duel is won by the City defender.
- 41'Young curls in a cross from the left with his right foot but it's too long and Hart can claim under little pressure.
- 40'Kolarov launches it long. Too long. De Gea strolls off his line to grab the ball.
- 39'Negredo lets fly from about 35 yards... Very ambitious effort but it takes a nick off Ferdinand for a corner.
- 38'Manuel Pellegrini will be delighted with how his side has managed this first half. United haven't had a single clear chance.
- 37'Welbeck, eager to get on the end of a floated delivery, barges into Hart. Webb blows his whistle for a free-kick.
- 36'What a pass from Rio Ferdinand! The ball awkwardly bounces in front of him but he swivels to send a beautiful half-volley out towards Young on the left flank. Not bad for a defender.
- 35'Negredo finds himself in space on the edge of the box and tries to roll the ball into Aguero. The Spaniard is guilty of overhitting his pass ever so slightly.
- 34'Young tiptoes his way into the City half. The opposition retreat. Will he have a crack? No, the defence finally advance and rob him of the ball.
- 33'Young plays a clever flick around Toure. Well it would have been clever if it went to a red shirt... City come at United once more.
- 32'City appeal for a handball on Evra but win a throw instead. David Moyes has a moan to the linesman.
- 31'United enjoying a spell of possession with Fellaini and Carrick looking to bring their more advanced teammates into play.
- 30'And Webb takes centre stage again as he books Rooney for persistent fouling.
- 29'Negredo blasts a ball straight at Ferdinand from about two yards. City want a penalty but Webb says no.
- 28'Rooney plays his trademark pass, a sweeping diagonal out to Valencia on the right wing. Better from the men in red.
- 27'United can't get hold of the ball at all. City string 20 odd passes together before Aguero tries to slip in Nasri. Doesn't quite come off.
- 26'City try to work a clever routine which almost pays off. De Gea manages to gather.
- 25'Fellaini concedes a needless free-kick in a decent position on the inside-right channel. The same spot van Persie decided last year's derby...
- 24'Rooney is through on goal... He tries to chip Hart but the stopper is equal to it. Flag went up anyway.
- 23'Toure ghosts past Evra before cutting back inside the defender. Fellaini gets back to help his teammate out.
- 22'Evra gets forward down the left but his cross is easily claimed by Joe Hart.
- 21'De Gea hoists a clearance up towards Rooney who is tustling with Kompany. The whistle goes as Rooney's headguard flies off before settling on the grass.
- 20'Seriously. Make sure you find a way of watching Aguero's volley. It is superb.
- 19'Smalling does well to head clear but the ball drops to Nasri who volleys narrowly over. City pressing for a second. What a start in Manchester.
- 18'The visitors try to hit back immediately and force a corner. It's floated towards Fellaini but a light blue shirt rises in front of the Belgian to head clear.
- 17'City have made the early running and you can't say they don't deserve the lead. What have United got?
- 16'GOAL! Nasri slips in Kolarov down the left and the defender whips in a dangerous cross. It's slightly behind Aguero but the striker adjusts his position to somehow volley the ball beyond De Gea. Stunning strike.
- Manchester City Goal
- 15'Oohhh. Rooney concedes a free-kick after tugging back Aguero. Rooney reacts by lashing the ball in frustration and it strikes the Argentinian. The United player pleads innocence and Webb is in a forgiving mood.
- 14'It looks like Yaya Toure is being encouraged to run at this United's defence. His strike deflects behind for a corner.
- 13'Alvaro Negredo lunges to take the pace off a ball previously destined for the touchline. He gets up, chases after it and delivers a cute pass to the edge of the area. His teammates waste the opening though.
- 12'City continue to come forward with both full-backs, Kolarov and Zabaleta, happy to advance into United's half.
- 11'David De Gea edges into the outer-limits of his penalty area to punch clear the corner.
- 10'Sergio Aguero turns in the box and lays the ball off to Aleksandar Kolarov who flashes it across the face of goal. Headed behind. City corner.
- 9'As you'd expect in a derby, both sets of fans are in good voice. City having more of the ball early on.
- 8'Michael Carrick cuts out not one, but two City clearances. Antonio Valencia isn't as alert as the Englishman and the opening quickly shuts.
- 7'Rooney's deft flick finds Young down the left side but the winger started his run a touch too early. The offside flag shoots up.
- 6'Slight delay as Smalling slowly rises to his feet before leaving the field. He'll be fine to continue though.
- 5'Chris Smalling is clattered by Matija Nastasic. Both players going for the ball, but the City man is booked by Howard Webb.
- 4'Nemanja Vidic gives the ball away with a terrible pass deep inside his own half. Jesus Navas doesn't make him pay though as he lashes over.
- 3'Wayne Rooney carries the ball into the City half and tries to play in Welbeck who would latch onto the pass but for an untimely slip.
- 2'Bright start from United as Danny Welbeck closes down Vincent Kompany. The striker wants a corner... Goalkick given.
- 1'So, for the first time in 27 years, a new manager oversees United from the dugout in a Manchester Derby. The referee’s whistle rings out in the Etihad. Get comfy, the next 90 minutes of football could be special.
- 15:55The Etihad Stadium erupts as the players walk out onto the turf. Kick-off is imminent...
- 15:50In previous seasons, when the title was a two-horse race, both sides could secretly view a draw as an acceptable result. That is not the case today though as neither team can risk dropping any more points so early in the campaign. So, hopefully, we can expect a feast of attacking football.
- 15:45Both teams have endured indifferent starts – City were stunned by Cardiff and United fell meekly to Liverpool – but all can be forgotten with a win in the big one.
- 15:40David Moyes: "There is an excitement for any derbies in any big city in the world. I've experienced derby games in Glasgow and on Merseyside. They are all really important to your own supporters. They are important to the players as well but ultimately it's about what happens come the end of the season and how many points you get together to see who is top. These points could be really important towards that, but also they may not be."
- 15:35Manuel Pellegrini: "I think Vincent (Kompany) is a very important player for us. We worked well without Kompany. If you see our numbers in games he didn't play, we had three clean sheets, but he is always important. He gives confidence to the whole team."
- 15:30It’s a huge boost for Manchester City to see Vincent Kompany back in the starting line-up in the Premier League again, especially for a game of this magnitude. United, meanwhile, use Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic for the third time in a week. Will they be creaking?
- 15:25TEAMS: Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Nastasic, Kolarov, Nasri, Fernandinho, Toure, Navas, Aguero, Negredo. Subs: Pantilimon, Lescott, Richards, Garcia, Milner, Jovetic, Dzeko. /// Manchester United: De Gea; Smalling, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Young; Rooney, Welbeck. Subs: Amos, Büttner, Evans, Cleverley, Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez.
- 15:20Big team news: Robin van Persie is OUT for Manchester United. Full teams coming ASAP…
- 15:15Hello and welcome to our coverage of the Manchester derby at the Etihad Stadium – quite an occasion for two new managers in David Moyes and Manuel Pellegrini.
|Team Manager:||Manuel Pellegrini|
|Team Manager:||Louis Van Gaal|
Players Sub Time
|D. de Gea||0||1||4||8||0||0||0||0||0||90|