Premier League - Fluke Pieters goal enough for Stoke against Newcastle
- -And that is that! Stoke secure a scrappy 1-0 victory over the magpies who have now lost four in a row!
- 90+4Tiote pumps it long towards Ameobi but Cameron does well to win his header. Walters plays it off Dummett and it goes out for a throw. Cameron taking his time.
- 90+3Silly free kick given away by Tiote on Crouch after bundling into him as he gathered it. Stoke go short and back themselves to keep it. Nzonzi switches to Cameron.
- 90+2Adam wins it off Tiote in the middle and plays it cleverly off Yanga Mbiwa to give his side a throw on the left. They're taking their time.
- 90+1Crouch wastes some time in the corner before giving away a goal kick which Krul takes long.
- 90'Anitaa finds Ben Arfa who plays it wide to Armstrong but the ball is lost when Arnautovic bullioes him off the ball.
- 89'Poor corner from Tiote is cleared by Whelan, the first defender.
- 88'Newcastle free kick again cleared by Shawcross. The ball drops to Gouffran who volleyed into Adam who blocked again.
- Stoke City Yellow card
- Stoke City Substitution
- 87'Odemwingie comes off for Jon Walters. Straight swap.
- 86'Tiote angles a cross from the left to the right where Ameobi is at the far post but the cross has too much on it leaving Ameobi with a lot of work to do and it goes for a goal kick.
- 85'Anita needed a few more inches! Ameobi takes the ball onto the penalty area and crosses to the far post to Anita but he couldn't jump high enough to control the header and it goes over!
- 84'Gouffran tries to thread a ball line to Dummett but Cameron read it a week ago and sets Stoke on their way again.
- 83'Newcastle string a few passes together before Yanga Mbiwa tries to angle a pass to Ameobi but it goes straight through to Begovic.
- 82'Thankfully he is up after some TLC from the physio. Stoke playing it out from the back with Cameron on the right. He drives up the right and crosses low but it is cleared.
- 81'Arnautovic down injured. Looks like he has twinged his thigh.
- 80'Arnautovic takes on Yanga Mbiwa on the left. Totally skins him and delivers a delicious cross for Crouch who was caught on his heels and the look on his face says it all. He should have known that quality of cross was coming.
- 79'Stoke looking in control of this one. Ben Arfa is still limping as Stoke knock the ball about in the middle of the park.
- 78'Most of that minute taken up by the injury but a deep cross from Cameron almost finds Arnautovic but Yanga Mbiwa does well to clear.
- 77'Ben Arfa loses the ball. Wins the ball. Loses the ball. Wins it back and then loses it again. All within about four touches of the ball. Adam clatters into him and the Frenchman is down.
- 76'Arnautovic and Adam over the free kick thirty yards out just left of central. Adam takes but it goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 75'First yellow of the game for Colloccini after he cynically blocks Arnautovic after they went chasing after a through ball in behind.
- Newcastle United Yellow card
- 74'LIGHTNING COUNTER! Corner to Newcastle goes really deep to Ben Arfa who loses it to Nzonzi. He releases Arnautovic who gets his head up and plays a first time ball with the outside of his boot to Adam but he can only drag his first time strike wide.
- Newcastle United Substitution
- Newcastle United Substitution
- 73'Double change for Newcastle. Armstrong and Ben Arfa to come on for Cisse and Gosling. Last roll of the dice.
- 72'Great break from Stoke. Adam finds Crouch who lays it off to Arnautovic on the half way line. He powers through and takes on Williamson before letting fly with a sweet strike which Krul does well to save.
- 71'Good ball to Odemwingie on the right. He brings it down but has no support. Tiote and Colloccini bullios him off the ball. Dummett goes flying down the line but the cross goes straight to Begovic.
- 70'Newcastle up on the left but good pressure from Stoke sees them work the ball all the way back to Krul.
- 69'Soft free kick. The ball was headed out for a corner on the right wing. Colloccini got his body in front and Odemwingie couldn't resist pushing him over.
- 68'Adam's first touch is to turn Titoe in the middle. He lays it to Crouch ahead of him who wins a throw from the left.
- 67'Ireland comes off for Adam in the middle of the park wearing his protective mask.
- 66'Crouch wins a free kick after holding off Williamson and Tiote before the latter clatters him from behind on the half way line.
- Stoke City Substitution
- 65'Dummett goes line to Cisse who battles with Shawcross but loses the ball.
- 64'Whelan breaks down the left but can't get past Tiote and so goes back with the ball. Stoke holding on to it well. Shawcross goes on a raid down the right but his lay off to Odemwingie ahead of him catches the forward offside.
- 63'Anita switches to Cisse on the right. He delivers a dangerous cross which isn't cleared properly. It drops to Williamson who volleys quickly but Shawcross does brilliantly to make himself big and block the goal-bound shot.
- 62'Steven Taylor comes off for Yanga-Mbiwa as Newcastle rejig their shape.
- Newcastle United Substitution
- 61'Cameron drives down the right and delivers a great cross for Crouch. He dives to get his head on it but heads it down and takes the pace off the ball allowing the keeper to gather with ease.
- 60'He goes low down the line to Ireland who struck first ime on his left foot but the linesman gives offside.
- 59'Free kick to Stoke on the left side. Arnautovic over it looking to cross.
- 58'Arnautovic tried to anticipate the long ball bu lost out to Taylor who retains possession for the Magpies.
- 57'Stoke with some pressure on the right. Cameron gives it to Ireland who lays it to Nzonzi on the edge. He sees Arnautovic come off the wing and lays it to him to strike but the keeper got everything behind the low shot to gather.
- 56'Croner taken by Ireland towards Crouch at the far post but Williamson gets up to head clear.
- 55'Anita heads on to Cisse who turns and gives it to Gouffran. He shoots but it is blocked upwards by Pieters and Begovic rushes out to stop it going for a corner.
- 54'Gouffran slips the ball to Gosling on the edge of the area. He flicks inside to Cisse and is felled looking for a free kick but the ref waves play on.
- 53'Ameobi this time clattered by Shawcross on the half way line. Newcastle go short before going long and Cameron clears.
- 52'Pieters skips past anita and drives forward. Arnautovic leaves Taylor for dead on the left wing and crosses well to Crouch who just gets under the ball and headed over. Great counter!
- 51'Newcastle with much more of the ball this half but not in dangerous areas as yet. Stoke working hard off the ball to keep them from finding space.
- 50'Ireland dispossess' Tiote but can't quite get it under control as he tries to lay it off to Arnautovic on the left and Newcastle get the ball back.
- 49'Williamson heads it from the far post towards the middle where Cisse has tried to volley it first time but he can't get over it enough and it flies over the cross bar. Decent effort.
- 48'Nzonzi gives away a cheap foul after grabbing Ameobi having misjudged the flight of the ball. Half way line. Ameobi is holding his face but there wasn't that much in it.
- 47'Newcastle have started with much of the ball but haven't hurt or dragged Stoke anywhere yet. A long ball from Taylor goes out for a throw.
- 46'And we're off again. Newcastle have it all to do to turn this one around!
- -And that is half time! Stoke take a fortuitous lead into the break! Looking bleak for Newcastle!
- 45+1Dangerous cross from Ameobi on the right. He swings it in with his left foot low towards the far post but Gosling is just inches away from guiding it on target.
- 45'Whelan gives it away to Gouffran on the half way line. He drives all the way to the edge of the area before cutting it onto his left foot. He wildly lets fly but misthits it and it trickles to Wilson who can clear with ease.
- 44'Gouffran over the ball on the right. He crosses from a deep free kick but Crouch is up to clear. A long range effort from Tiote is easily saved low to Begovic's left.
- 43'PIETERS GOAL! He hits the top corner from a cross! He crosses from deep and mishits it. Krul is caught under it and it flies into the back of the net!
- Stoke City Goal
Left Footed - Top Right
- 42'Poor ball from Cameron down the right and he loses control of it and goes out for a throw.
- 41'Anita again scampering down the right. His low cross is cleared by back-tracking Whelan for a corner. Gouffran takes but it is really poor and goes almost to the half way line.
- 40'Crouch gives away another foul on the half way line. Krul goes long but it finds Begovic only. He sets Nzonzi off on the left wing before it is switched to Cameron on the right. Poor ball from Whelan and it is a goal kick to Newcastle again.
- 39'Cisse takes too long on the ball and is dispossessed by Odemwingie. He gets Stoke the ball back and they carry on.
- 38'Lull in play as Newcastle go long for a goal kick. Stoke then take their time to get the balll back before again, going long.
- 37'Almost trouble as Ireland picks up on a loose clearance from Dummett and storms into the box. He tries to cut it back to Odemwingie but it is cut out by Taylor who clears.
- 36'Arnautovic takes on Anita again but his cross is deflected to Odemwingie. He plays it to Nzonzi who spreads it wide to Pieters. His deep cross is blocked but Stoke retain the ball.
- 35'Another Dummett cross after rounding Cameron but Shawcross does well to clear.
- 34'Stoke with some possession now. Nzonzi switches to Cameron who gets it inside to Odemwingie. A loose pass though and Ameobi picks it up and drives into the Stoke half. He finds Anita on the right but his deep cross goes all the way to Dummett on the other wing.
- 33'Pieters takes on Anita but the defender does well. However he gives it away to Ireland on the edge of the area. Luckily his teammates are around to help him out.
- 32'Gosling almost gets to the byline but his cross is late and the ball just trickled out.
- 31'Newcastle starting to look comfortable on the ball now. Just popping it about at the back.
- 30'Crouch gives away a foul and Krul looks to go long from it.
- 29'Newcastle passing themselves into trouble. First Colloccini with a wayward ball to Taylor meant the defender had to back track. Under pressure he played a low 30yard pass to Ameobi who was luckily fouled from behind as he collected it otherwise he would have been in serious trouble.
- 28'Nzonzi dispossess' Gouffran in the middle and feeds it to Cameron. He goes line for Ireland but Dummett tackles well.
- 27'CHANCE! Arnautovic causes havoc on the left with a dangerous cross whoch Colloccini just about clears. Nzonzi controls instantly and gets a shot away but the Argentine defender is there again to block over.
- 26'Lovely one and two touch play from Stoke and Odemwingie is released down the right wing but his cross is blocked and comes back off him for a Newcastle throw.
- 25'Anita drives down the right but no good runs ahead of him and he is forced to go backwards.
- 24'Dummett's poor touch turns in to a good one as he finds space on the edge of the area. He pokes it through to Cisse but his control isn't good enough and Cameron gets back. Then Gosling gets to the byline on the right side but Pieters makes a brilliant recovery tackle to win a goal kick for his side.
- 23'Anita scampers down the right and finds Gouffran in the middle. He opens his body and gives it to Dummett on the left. It finds its way out right agin but Ameobi has a heavy touch and Ireland robs him.
- 22'Cheap corner given away by Anita under pressure from Arnautovic. Poor back pass. Ireland takes but Krul does well to punch it clear.
- 21'Arnautovic tries a trick in his own half. It comes off but he tries to buy a foul and the ref waves play on. Newcastle attack down the left and a flick round the corner is too much for Dummett whos run is blocked by Cameron.
- 20'Some neat one and two touch passing in the middle by Pieters and Ireland but the Irishman's first time ball to Cameron in space in the right is overhit and goes out for a throw.
- 19'Arnautovic lays it to Whelan in the midddle. He finds Ireland in some space between the lines but his attempted flick to Odemwingie doesn't come off as the Nigerian was not on the same wavelength and made a backwards run.
- 18'Wilson goes long to Crouch but Taylor reads it and clears. He gives it to Cisse who drives down the right wing before switching to Dummett. He lays it to Ameobi but the move breaks down as players get back to cover.
- 17'Good lay off from Cisse to Ameobi who drives forward and then attempts a shiot from distance on his left foot when he had runners either side of him. Disappointing strike trickled wide.
- 16'Cameron pulls out from a challenege with Dumett but the full back goes over anyway and buys a free kick from the ref.
- 15'Crouch wins a header unchallenged but is then dispossessed by Tiote. He immediately loses it and Stoke are back with the ball in midfield.
- 14'Anita finds ameobi again from a deep cross. He loses the header but makes enough of a nuisance so the clearance doesn't go far. Cisse gets it under control and tries to toe poke a shot away but the flag was up for offside.
- 13'Good pressure from Crouch on Krul and the goalie can only knock it clear for a throw inside his own half.
- 12'CHANCE! Cross from Anita finds Ameobi at the far post. He nods a header centrally to Gosling who, under pressure from the goalkeeper, could only volley over from close range.
- 11'Krul gets it up to Ameobi who wins his header but Cisse was just a yard away from getting the flick under control. Stoke then go long but it is again cut out.
- 10'HIT THE POST! Crouch gets above everybody and nods a near post header aginst the post after a beautiful cross from Pieters down the left.
- 9'Anita feeds Cisse but his lay off is poor and Pieters collects easily. Ireland and Nzonzi combine and get Stoke moving forward yet again.
- 8'Long ball from Cameron to Nzonzi who had made his way into the penalty area. Gouffran manages to pick up the pieces but his long ball is inaccurate and Begovic gets Stoke going forward again.
- 7'Gouffran plays a loose pass to Ameobi who manages to get to the ball before Whelan who fouls the big man. Free kick on the half way line. Colloccini goes long but Shawcross clears.
- 6'Stoke now enjoying some possession. Nzonzi is anchoring and just picking passes around him. Newcastle are in their shape and sitting deep.
- 5'Stoke working theright touchline. Cameron now with a throw in close to the penalty area. He goes short to Odemwingie who tries a reverse ball down the line but Dummett cuts it out for a throw.
- 4'Dummett plays a horribly overhit low pass down the left towards Cisse but there was no way he was getting on the end of it. Goal kick.
- 3'Ameobi turns away from Wilson and releases Anita on the right but his ball towards Cisse is cut out and Stoke pressurise high up the pitch.
- 2'The away tactic appears clear already. Twice Taylor has got the ball at the back and twice he has launched long to Ameobi.
- 1'An impeccably behaved minutes silence before kick off. Mike Jones has tooted his whistle and Stoke kick us off shooting from left to right.
- 15:05The players are round the centre-circle ready for the minutes silence.
- 15:00Games will not be kicking off at the normal time of three o'clock to mark the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. The 1989 FA Cup Semi Final was abandoned after just six minutes as 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives. Another minute will be added to remember the 96 meaning today's kick off will be at 3.07pm.
- 14:55ODDS: Stoke are the favourites for the three points and can be backed at 15/13. A Newcastle win can be had at 29/10 while a draw is 12/5.
- 14:50STAT: Stoke City have won 75% of their 40 points this season at home, the highest proportion of points at home than any other side. Newcastle have five more points than they did at the end of last season but have conceded 11 goals and scored none in their last three games, losing them all.
- 14:45STAT: Peter Odemwingie has played against Newcastle five times in the Premier League and has scored four times in those games. Papiss Cisse, though struggling for goals, has scored in every one of his four Premier League appearances aginst Stoke. He is one of only nine players to have scored in the league for the Magpies this season.
- 14:40Alan Pardew is as disappointed as the fans at their recent form: "I accept the criticism that is coming my way, of course, but that does not weaken me in any manner. I am a person who looks to the next game and looks forward. I am desperate to get the fans a result and they need to know that. I understand their feelings at the minute."
- 14:35Mark Hughes is happy with the expectation of the home fans: "Newcastle will be without some of their key players this weekend and we have to take advantage of that. We will have to be on top form for the game to make sure we can get maximum points. We have got real opportunities to leave our mark this season and do things that Stoke City have not done before."
- 14:30AWAY NEWS: Alan Pardew makes four changes to the side that got beat 4-0 at home to Man Utd last week. Goalie Tim Krul is back between the sticks while Steven Taylor, Paul Dummett and Shola Ameobi all come in to the starting XI. Davide Santon, Massadio Haidara and Luuk de Jong drop to the bench. Gael Bigirimana returns to the first-team fold for the first time since August.
- 14:25HOME NEWS: Mark Hughes makes one change from the side that got beat 3-0 against Chelsea last week. Stephen Ireland comes in for Wilson Palacios in central midfield. Matthew Etherington is dropped from the squad to make way for Ireland who was not involved at all last week.
- 14:20TEAMS: Stoke City: Begovic, Cameron, Shawcross, Wilson, Pieters, Ireland, Nzonzi, Whelan, Arnautovic, Odemwingie, Crouch. Subs: Sorensen, Muniesa, Palacios, Adam, Walters, Guidetti, Wilkinson. /// Newcastle United: Krul, Taylor, Williamson, Coloccini, Anita, Gosling, Tiote, Gouffran, Dummett, Ameobi, Cisse. Subs: Elliot, Haidara, Yanga-Mbiwa, Bigirimana, Ben Arfa, de Jong, Armstrong.
- 14:15Hello and welcome to our live coverage from the Britannia Stadium of Stoke City vs Newcastle United. Team news to follow shortly...
|Team Manager:||Mark Hughes|
|Team Manager:||John Carver|
Players Sub Time