Premier League - Magical Rooney strike lifts United to victory
- 90+4'The referee's whistle brings an end to an excellent performance from the visitors in which Rooney scored an absolute cracker from just inside the West Ham half. Wonderful stuff.
- 90+3'Instead of competing for a bouncing ball, Adrian and Hernandez jump out of each other's way. Tame play all round.
- 90+2'Welbeck drops deep in an attempt to spark a late attack. His team-mates aren't that interested in venturing forward though.
- 90+1'Four minutes of added time signalled.
- 90'Smiles all round as a United clearance flies onto the Upton Park roof. It trickles along before coming back down to earth with a thud.
- 89'Fellaini bundles his way through the West Ham defence. Surely he's pulled back Collins? Lee Mason isn't interested and the former Everton man scuffs his effort under pressure (perhaps illegal pressure) from Nocerino.
- 88'Into the final few minutes. West Ham haven't really threatened the United goal after the restart. Come on, Carroll & co. Give us an exciting finish...
- 87'Welbeck bites his tongue in frustration as a through ball skids past him.
- 86'De Gea pings a 70 yard pass onto the boot of Hernandez. Great play. Get him out on pitch.
- 85'The defender eventually gets to his feet and hobbles to the touchline. The West Ham players look beaten.
- 84'Hmmm. Questionable challenge from Fellaini leaves Tomkins in a heap.
- 83'Antonio Nocerino replaces Taylor for the hosts. Stating the obvious alert: West Ham need a goal imminently.
- West Ham United Substitution
- 82'Hernandez is screaming for the ball in the centre but Kagawa booms his cross over the diminutive Mexican.
- 81'Not this time.
- 80'Corner to West Ham. Surely we'll see a goal from a set-piece before the end?
- 79'United's pass-o-meter is working overtime. West Ham go nearly a minute without touching the ball.
- 78'And another change from Moyes as Danny Welbeck comes on for Juan Mata.
- Manchester United Substitution
- Manchester United Substitution
- 77'The away end applauds violently as Rooney swaps places with Javier Hernandez.
- 76'Didn't think this phrase would be used this season, but United look really good in possession.
- 75'Cole tries to bump his way into the United penalty area but, although he succeeds, can't bring down a high ball.
- 74'Jarvis has two men to pick out in the middle... Jarvis picks out the gloves of De Gea.
- 73'West Ham now have a heavyweight duo in attack to rival the Klitschko brothers.
- 72'Here comes super Carlton Cole... Nolan departs.
- West Ham United Substitution
- 71'Rooney scampers after a Kagawa pass but the flag shoots up on the far side.
- 70'Fellaini tries to award himself a foul by picking up the ball. The result? Free-kick to West Ham for handball.
- 69'Downing fools everyone by passing to himself but no one in a West Ham shirt had bothered to get into the box and his cross is cleared.
- 68'Buttner fancies wrestling the 'Goal of the Month' award from Rooney and lashes one from distance. One lucky fan in the upper tier will be leaving with the match ball after that effort.
- 67'Young's cross loops off McCartney and behind for a rare corner.
- 66'Mr Allardyce is not a happy man in his comfy seat. He mutters something to the chap next to him who proceeds to march into the technical area and issue instruction.
- 65'United knock the ball around confidently in midfield. They've looked assured in the middle this evening so far.
- 64'It's evolved into a gritty affair in the last few minutes. What happened to the free-flowing football, lads?
- 63'De Gea hesitates under pressure but, to the anguish of the home faithful, escapes with a goal-kick.
- 62'Downing pops up on the right flank - probably because he's now playing on that wing - and tiptoes into the penalty area. He's clipped but elects to stay on his feet. Wonder what would have happened if he hit the deck?
- 61'Surprise, surprise, it's turned behind for a corner. De Gea punches the resulting set-piece clear under pressure.
- 60'Fellaini sins on the edge of the penalty area. West Ham have a free-kick in a decent position.
- 59'Diame - who, aside from a clever turn in the first-half, has been quiet - is replaced by Matthew Jarvis.
- West Ham United Substitution
- 58'Yet another corner! But United - like West Ham before them - fail to do anything with set-piece number 152.
- 57'Rafael can't quite latch onto Rooney's low cross. Lovely build-up from United.
- 56'Young, clearly anxious to impress, chucks in a few clever twists and turns down the right. It's worked to Mata who forces - yep, you've guessed it - another corner.
- 55'The buoyant pre-match atmosphere has been replaced by one of fear. The fans need to get behind their side.
- 54'Rooney leaps high in the middle but can't direct his header on target.
- 53'Young charges down the right and wins a corner for his side.
- 52'Carroll does magnificently to keep a wayward cross in play. Shame his team-mates were not expecting it.
- 51'It pings around the penalty area and Demel has a crack... Blocked. Bright start from the hosts.
- 50'And another as Fellaini hacks clear!
- 49'It's cleared but, undeterred, West Ham attack again and win another.
- 48'Downing takes a whack and sees his effort deflect out for a corner.
- 47'United work a short corner to Young who cuts inside and whips a cross/shot towards the far corner. Adrian holds at the second time of asking.
- 46'And we're back!
- 45+3'Half-time at Upton Park. Manchester United lead 2-0.
- 45+2'The ball sits up perfectly for a Rooney volley but instead of lashing into the top corner, his effort flies off the side of his boot and nearly goes out for a throw.
- 45+1'West Ham win a late throw deep in the United half. A base camp for a final assault?
- 45'Two minutes of added time signalled.
- 44'Rooney blazes into the stands after good play down the left.
- 43'Young forgets to swing a cross into the mixer and the ball rolls harmlessly out for a goal-kick.
- 42'Can West Ham grab a goal before half-time? They've got a chance to pump the ball into the penalty area here...
- 41'The game's becoming a little bit scrappy with the sides taking it in turn to concede possession
- 40'Rooney's free-kick from distance flies narrowly over. Think Adrian had it covered anyway.
- 39'Matthew Taylor goes into the book for a foul on Mata.
- West Ham United Yellow card
- 38'It's the left foot of Carroll... The less said about that effort the better.
- 37'A needless shove from Fellaini on Carroll presents West Ham with a free-kick on the edge of the area.
- 36'The West Ham contingent are containing to bicker with the man in black instead of focusing on the task at hand.
- 35'James Collins goes into the book for yelling at the referee.
- 34'GOAL! West Ham 0-2 Man United. Oh dear. Noble's clearance lands at the feet of Rooney, and the England striker simply can't miss from two yards out.
- 33'West Ham want a penalty! Nolan goes down inside the area under pressure from Fletcher but the referee is unmoved.
- Manchester United Goal
Left Footed - Bottom Right
- 32'Downing is getting the better of Rafael at the moment. His latest burst of pace down the left wins a corner.
- 31'Kagawa's deep cross is headed back into the danger zone by Fellaini. West Ham survive.
- 30'The ball breaks to Mata inside the penalty area, but the Spaniard's low shot lacks direction and Adrian saves.
- 29'Here's a phrase you won't read every week: Alexander Buttner does well to avert a Hammers attack.
- 28'But the home side respond to the nerves/anger and force a corner.
- 27'The home fans shuffle anxiously in their seats as the ball is knocked back from a promising position to their centre-halves.
- 26'Mohamed Diame performs a cheeky turn inside the penalty area but a sloppy touch hands the ball back to the visitors.
- 25'Kagawa latches onto Mata's pass and fires at goal... Adrian saves and holds.
- 24'Mata is really lively in the middle of the park. Looks a lot more sure of himself than in previous outings.
- 23'Young throws in a couple of step-overs, gets his feet in a muddle and skews his effort into a defender.
- 22'Rafael and Young look at each other forlornly as a lack of communication sees the ball roll out of play.
- 21'It appears Rafael picked up a yellow card for one of his earlier challenges.
- 20'The BIG stat on 20 minutes: That was Rooney's 211th Manchester United goal.
- 19'Rooney's cut-back evades everyone in the penalty area and squirms all the way out to Fellaini.
- 18'George McCartney hands the visitors a throw in a promising position.
- 17'Rooney pings a pass (or another ambitious shot) into the stands.
- 16'Downing skips past Rafael and pings a cross into the penalty area. David de Gea holds onto Carroll's header.
- 15'Noble stands the free-kick up towards Carroll... Just wide. Darren Fletcher gets away with a cheeky tug on the big man's shirt.
- 14'Rafael starts arguing with the referee again as he concedes another free-kick.
- 13'Mata nearly opens up the West Ham defence but his pass evades the boot of Kagawa by a matter of inches. All United.
- 12'Don't worry, United fans. The free-kick is shocking and Mark Noble caps a disappointing five second period by committing a foul.
- Manchester United Yellow card
- 11'Downing is knocked to the turf by Rafael. To be honest, it just looked like the United man stood his ground. Free-kick in a tasty area for the hosts.
- 10'Well, this has been a rather enjoyable opening spell.
- 9'And a rather gleeful celebration from David Moyes on the sidelines. Play it cool, David. Pretend this happens every week.
- 8'WHAT A GOAL FROM ROONEY! West Ham 0-1 Man United. The England striker lets the ball bounce over his shoulder on the halfway line and unleashes a crazy shot from 50 odd yards. Adrian loses his bearings and it flies into the net! David Beckham watches on with a smile.
- Manchester United Goal
Right Footed - Top Right
- 7'Down the other end, West Ham force an early corner. It's a pretty woeful effort but Guy Demel still manages to turn it goalwards... Just wide.
- 6'Kagawa is gifted the ball by a slack Hammers pass. He drifts towards the opposition goal, pokes the ball towards Mata but the Spaniard's effort lacks power.
- 5'Lots of moaning in the early stages from the home faithful. Their latest gripe is at the awarding of a United throw.
- 4'Marouane Fellaini rises, unmarked, in the middle and heads at goal. Andy Carroll is alive to the situation to clear off the line.
- 3'The home fans groan in unison as Ashley Young convinces the referee that United should have a corner.
- 2'That's naughty, Stewart. Mr Downing chucks in a clever flick to bamboozle the United midfield. Shame it doesn't come to anything.
- 1'The customary army of bubbles navigate their way through the Upton Park air as the referee's whistle signals that the kick-off can commence. United get us underway.
- 17:25The players go through their final pre-match routines. We're just moments away from kick-off.
- 17:20The big question: who will Moyes waste on the flank? £37million man Juan Mata or the forgotten Shinji Kagawa?
- 17:15Here's Sam Allardyce's view: "Our efforts at home are what I have been focusing on with the players. We have won the last three home games on the trot and we have to try to continue that if we can to overcome the little blip we have suffered following two away games we have taken nothing from. The focus is to maintain the home results and try our best to pull off a big win, but if we can't, come away with at least a point."
- 17:10But having said that, this is a very different United than normal. Their haul of 48 points after 29 games is their haul of points in a Premier League season, and six points fewer than their previous lowest in 1992-93.
- 17:05The omens are good for United: they have lost none of their last 10 top-flight games against West Ham, winning nine. (Opta)
- 17:00The big question today is whether United can ride the wave of momentum after their 3-0 win over Olympiacos in the week. As David Moyes put it: "In some of the games I have felt ashamed because we haven't played well enough and I have not got a team out that has got a good enough result. I think the big thing on Wednesday was that I could look at the supporters in the face after the game. We had given them something to shout about. There was nothing to be ashamed of about our performance."
- 16:55The big teams news is that Robin van Persie is out, possibly for the rest of the season. As you can see below, Rooney is leading the line for United all on his own.
- 16:50TEAMS - West Ham: Adrian, McCartney, Nolan, Tomkins, Carroll, Taylor, Noble, Collins, Demel, Diame, Downing. Subs: Reid, Jarvis, Armero, Jaaskelainen, C.Cole, J.Cole, Nocerino. //// Manchester United: De Gea, Rafael, Jones, Carrick, Buttner, Mata, Fletcher, Fellaini, Young, Kagawa, Rooney. Subs: Evra, Lindegaard, Chicharito, Nani, Welbeck, Cleverley, Januzaj.
- 16:45Welcome to our LIVE coverage of Manchester United's Premier League clash against West Ham at Upton Park.
West Ham United
|Team Manager:||Sam Allardyce|
|Team Manager:||Louis Van Gaal|
Players Sub Time
|D. de Gea||0||1||0||11||0||0||0||0||0||90|