- 90+5'FT: Argentina hang on to seal a semi final spot courtesy of Higuain's solitary strike! It was a bit nervy at the end with Lukaku almost teeing up an equaliser for Belgium, but in truth they didn't do enough on the day and Argentina will now play Costa Rica or the Netherlands in the last four.
- 90+5'Late drama! Lukaku sneaks past his man at the left byline and cuts it back but can't pick anyone out. Witsel sears the rebound over.
- 90+4'Messi races clean through, it has to be 2-0... great save Courtois!!!
- 90+3'Fellaini rises but nods it out of play! More seconds ticking away. Can Argentina hold out?
- 90+2'De Bruyne with another cross... nodded away by Zabaleta. Lots of red shirts in the area now.
- 90+1'FIVE minutes added. Still time for Belgium to force Extra-Time.
- 90'Respite for Argentina as the ref stops play to allow treatment for the prone Perez who took a knock off his own teammate, Zabaleta!
- 89'The set piece arrows right through the six-yard box but Belgium can't make anything of it at the far post. Argentina are living dangerously.
- 88'Fellaini gets to the right byline but is stopped in his tracks. It's another corner....
- 87'HOPE FOR BELGIUM? European teams have scored 22 goals so far in the last 15 minutes of WC matches at this tournament, 10 more than the next closest federation, South America (Infostrada).
- 86'De Bruyne curls the corner into the mixer but it's well defended at the near post.
- 85'De Bruyne shoots... deflected just wide!
- 84'Relief for Argentina as a close offside call goes their way with Fellaini ready to pounce at the far post. You sense Belgium will have one big chance before the end.
- 83'Zabaleta makes a rare foray forward and chips a cross towards the far post but Palacio can't grow enough to get a head on it.
- 82'A nice spell of possession for Argentina as they look to kill Belgium's momentum.
- Argentina Substitution
- 81'ARGENTINA sub: The goalscorer Higuain is replaced by Gago. He gets a huge ovation and rightly so.
- 80'Messi relieves some pressure with a run to the right byline but Belgium eventually get it back and look to launch another quick attack towards Lukaku.
- 79'They'll need more of the same in this last 11 minutes or so.
- 78'Belgium are in the ascendancy now. Just 12 minutes plus injury time to get that equaliser.
- 77'Mertens takes a quick free kick and tries to catch everyone by surprise by shooting towards the near post, but he drags his effort from the left-wing area wide. His teammates aren't impressed.
- 76'BELGIUM sub: Hazard off, Chadli on.
- 75'Belgium pressing now. Vertonghen goes down under a challenge from Biglia and he goes in the book.
- Belgium Substitution
- Argentina Yellow card
- 74'Fellaini has been pushed further forward and is causing problems with his aerial presence. He finds the ball at his feet on the edge of the box but can't dig it out and Argentina hack it away.
- 73'STAT: Argentina have conceded 23 goals at the World Cup in the period between 60-75 minutes, more than any other 15 minute period in a match. The 75-90 minute period has seen the second most goals scored versus the South American team, with 19 (alongside 0-15 mins).
- 72'We are now entering Belgium's favourite part of World Cup matches!
- Argentina Substitution
- 71'ARGENTINA sub: Lavezzi off, Palacio on.
- 70'Messi pick up a pass from Mascherano on the left and it needs three Belgium defenders to usher him away from goal.
- 69'Alderweireld will miss the next match for Belgium (if they progress) after being booked.
- 68'PHOTO: Messi action shot from the first period.
- Belgium Yellow card
- 67'Vertonghen is deep in Argentina territory once more but this time his cross is too close to the goal and drops out at the far post.
- 66'Via Infostrada: Romelu Lukaku scored in his last substitute's appearance for Belgium, in the 2-1 (AET) win over USA in the first knockout round. At Everton last season, he scored a goal in each of his two appearances from the bench in the Premier League.
- 65'De Bruyne whips a ball in from the right and Garay inadvertently toes it at his own goal, but it's straight into the grateful arms of Romero.
- 64'There have been so many late goals at this World Cup - I'm expecting a few more in the last 20 minutes!
- 63'A REMINDER: All six of their goals in Brazil have been scored from the 70th minute onwards, with four of those strikes netted by substitutes.... They now have two subs on too.
- 62'Another ball into the area is glanced wide by Fellaini. The ref gives a corner but then changes his mind. He makes the correct call in the end.
- 61'BELGIUM CHANCE! A left-wing cross is attacked by Fellaini who powers his header over the top. The Man United midfielder should have done better there.
- 60'Are we heading into Belgium's prime time?
- Belgium Substitution
- 59'BELGIUM double sub: Origi off, Lukaku on AND Merten on for Mirallas.
- Belgium Substitution
- 57'It looks like Mertens is about to come on for Belgium. They need to do something.
- 56'STAT: Argentina have hit the woordwork three times at this World Cup. Only France (5) and Greece (4) have hit it more often (courtesy of Infostrada).
- 55'OFF THE BAR! A blistering counter attack sees Higuain weave past his marker and fizz a shot that clips the bar and bounces over.
- 55'The corner comes to nothing and Belgium break, but Hazard can't make anything of it.
- 54'Messi curves the right-wing free kick towards the back post where Courtois has to come to Belgium's rescue and tip it behind.
- 54'A late tackle by Hazard results in the first yellow card of the match.
- Belgium Yellow card
- 53'Lavezzi causes more panic down the left and lashes a sublime ball across the six-yard box but there's no-one there to tap home. Higuain holds his head in his hands for not making the move to get there.
- 52'CLOSE! Higuain is tight to the left byline but is allowed to jink in and create a shooting opportunity with his effort taking a wicked deflection and spinning wide with Courtois going the other way.
- 51'It surely won't be long until Belgium make a change. It's still far too subdued from their point of view.
- 50'Most of Belgium's best moves have come down that left side which is great credit to Vertonghen who isn't playing in his preferred position.
- 49'STAT: Excluding shoot-outs, Argentina have not won a World Cup quarter-final since defeating England 2-1 in 1986.
- 48'Messi curls a lovely ball towards the far post but Basanta can't quite get there to make anything of it.
- 47'Higuain has a spring in his step and wins a free kick 45 yards out after being tripped by Kompany.
- 46'KICK OFF! Argentina restart the game.
- -A montage of the first 45.
- 45+2'HT: Argentina 1-0 Belgium. Higuain breaks his drought with an early volley while Di Maria limps off injured. Mirallas' header is the closest Belgium have come to an equaliser.
- 45+1'Two minutes added.
- 45'Lavezzi fizzes a low ball into Messi just inside the area but the talismanic number 10 can't take it in his stride and Belgium avert the danger.
- 44'STAT: Victory against the Swiss in the last round was the first World Cup match Argentina have won in the month of July since beating the same opponents in 1966 (excludes penalty shoot-outs).
- 43'Back up the other end and it's a corner for Argentina. Messi takes it and Witsel gets it away - with his nose!
- 42'BELGIUM CHANCE! It should be 1-1 as Vertonghen whips a devilish cross in from the left for Mirallas who guides his free header wide from eight yards out.
- 41'De Bruyne drops a ball over the top for Hazard but it won't settle down for the Chelsea man and Argentina get back to hack it clear.
- 40'Messi steps up and crashes the 20-yard free kick inches over the bar. Good effort!
- 39'Fellaini makes a clumsy tackle on Messi on the edge of the box after the forward looked to have the ball glued to his feet! Very dangerous position. It's central and 20 yards out.
- 38'Still plenty of time for Belgium in a WC of late goals... STAT: At this World Cup, a team has managed to win a match after falling behind on nine occasions already. Belgium have done so once: 2-1 vs Algeria after being 1-0 behind.
- 37'The goal and the injury to Di Maria aside, this game's not really kicked into life yet.
- 36'Vertonghen nails Zabaleta with a fierce tackle to concede the throw-in. It's just like the Premier League!
- 35'The list of injured superstars grows...
- 34'STAT: Argentina and Germany are the only teams to have scored the opening goal in each of their five matches so far.
- 33'ARGENTINA sub: The injured Di Maria is off and Enzo Perez comes on.
- Argentina Substitution
- 32'Bad news for Argentina as Di Maria looks set to come off injured.
- 31'We are back underway with Argentina in possession. Lavezzi sends over a ball from the left towards Higuain but it's nodded clear.
- 30'It's a long delay as the players off both teams take the opportunity to rehydrate.
- 29'Play has stopped as Di Maria receives treatment for the knock he picked up taking that shot.
- 28'Messi teases a sensational pass in-behind Kompany for Di Maria to chase, but the winger cuts in from the right and sees his shot magnificently blocked.
- 27'Messi is sent racing after a clearance but Kompany just about gets across to deny him and earn his team a free kick. Superb defending by the Man City man.
- 26'De Bruyne shoots from distance and Romero spills it but fortunately for him it bounces clear of Origi who was looking for the scraps.
- 25'Messi picks up a loose ball after Origi was robbed of possession but he can't do much with it and is hounded out of it by Witsel on the far right.
- 24'Belgium probing with very little cutting edge so far.
- 23'Mascherano's pass is back flicked through the middle for Higuain who can't quite read his teammate's intentions and the half chance goes begging.
- 22'Another still of that opening goal...
- 21'Hazard tries to wriggle through two defenders and appears to get sandwiched but the referee waves away his appeal 30 yards from goal.
- 20'PHOTO: Higuain celebrates the opener.
- 19'For those who like to be precise, Higuain's drought ended after 528 minutes with Argentina!
- 18'De Bruyne sears a much better corner into the near post where Kompany can't direct a header on target.
- 17'Great defensive header from Garay after Vertonghen had dashed down the left and clipped a lovely ball into the area.
- 16'What a waste. De Bruyne lifts the set piece way beyond the far post to leave his teammates exasperated.
- 15'Hazard weaves his way down the right and wins the first corner of the game.
- 14'More Higuain love....
- 13'De Bruyne gets a bit of space and races towards goal before lashing a 30 yarder well wide.
- 12'Belgium still trying to clear their heads after that early blow. They've proven time and time again that they can make changes that influence a game late on, so no need to panic.
- 11'Almost a year... but it was worth the wait!
- 10'STAT: Belgium are unbeaten in the 21 games in which goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has played for them.... This run could be under real threat now!
- 9'That's the Napoli man's first of the World Cup and it was a peach!
- 8'GOAL!!!!! Higuain breaks his goal drought with an instinctive volley from the edge of the area that Courtois doesn't even move for. The striker spun on a deflected pass and let fly after the first real mazy run from Messi.
- Argentina Goal
Right Footed - Bottom Left
- 7'Lavezzi arrows a pass down the left for the overlapping Basanta but the full back won't reach that.
- 6'Argentina looking the more likely in the early exchanges, but Belgium do tend to save their best until late on...
- 5'Higuain suffering a bit of a drought.
- 4'Basanta marauds down the left and dinks a ball into Higuain who lets himself down with poor control.
- 3'Belgium straight on the attack here but it's Argentina who threaten first as Lavezzi leads a counter but sees his low cross towards Higuain hacked away at the near post.
- 2'STAT: This is only the second time Belgium have reached the World Cup quarter-finals. They beat Spain on penalties to advance to the last four in 1986 after a 1-1 draw in Puebla.
- 1'KICK OFF! Belgium get us up and running.
- 16.58So who will join Brazil and Germany as the third team into the last four? Tweet me - @paul_hassall - your scores and scorers and I'll include some on here.Tweet Paul Hassall your predictions
Predict the score and scorers for Argentina v Belgium
- 16.55Will Messi's impressive record v Courtois continue today?
- 16.50A 91st cap isn't usually regarded as landmark achievement but for Lionel Messi it is hugely significant. It sees the Barcelona forward equal the total number of appearances made by Diego Maradona - an iconic figure who also carried the weight of his country's hopes on his shoulders.
- 16.48STAT courtesy of Infostrada: This will be the first WC meeting between Belgium and Argentina with an attendance significantly lower than 100,000, as the Estadio Nacional in Brasília has a capacity of 68,000. In 1982, around 100,000 people watched in Barcelona's Camp Nou while in 1986 114,500 people were packed together in Mexico City's Estadio Azteca.
- 16.45Belgium coach Marc Wilmots is not content with his side's passage to the last eight and is expecting more to come from his team. He said: “I’m here to continue winning matches. I remember a physio once told me, when I was a player at Schalke and he was giving me a massage: ‘Marc, when you are in the quarters, you can’t stop. You have to go on and reach the final.’ That year we ended up winning the Uefa Cup. So I don’t see why, with Belgium, we have to content ourselves with ‘just’ a quarter-final. One day, we’re going to have to change the Belgian mentality.”
- 16.42A quick look inside the dressing rooms...
- 16.40Just what Sabella needed ahead of a tough last eight encounter - an Argentine icon slaughtering your side. Here's El Diego's scathing verdict of the class of 2014.World Cup - Maradona: Stuttering Argentina have no idea
Diego Maradona has launched a stinging attack on Alejandro Sabella's Argentina on the eve of their World Cup quarter-final.
- 16.35The stage is set: view from the pressbox.
- 16.32A bit disappointed by Argentina's form so far? Watch our video analysis highlighting what they can do to start living up to their pre-tournament billing.Tactical Blueprint: The tweak to send Argentina to the semis
Watch the video 'Tactical Blueprint.'
- 16.30However, Argentina coach, Alejandro Sabella insists his side are not just a one-man team. He said: “Four years ago Messi was criticised for not contributing enough, and now people say we depend too greatly upon him. It’s not easy. Any team who has a player like Messi in their ranks – he’s the best player in the world – will greatly depend upon him, as a player. But there’s a group of players who support Messi, who make him stronger and make him feel well. I believe that the fact he’s done what he has here is down to the work the team puts in."
- 16.27Belgium midfielder Alex Witsel is hoping Argentina continue to deploy an attacking approach and feels it would suit his own team's game-plan. He said: "I expect Argentina to look to dictate the play. Hopefully that gives us room to infiltrate and our players can profit from the gaps they offer." Meanwhile, Red Devils defender Jan Vertonghen accepts it could well require more than just one player to stop the mercurial Lionel Messi. He said: "We have to stand together as team. If Messi gets past one of us, then there must a second and third player ready to stop him."
- 16.25Last night's first two quarter-finals saw Brazil and Germany advance with arguably the tournament's top performers, James Rodriguez a sad casualty. Read our blog that takes a closer look at the Colombian starlet.The World Cup’s lost its best player (and it’s James not Neymar)
Colombia are out of the World Cup but the future is bright writes Andy Mitten, and it is all down to one young talent. Continue reading →
- 16.22The official team sheet.
- 16.20Belgium have spread the goals around so far as Marc Wilmots has made full use of his squad to change the course of some matches in their favour.
- 16.18The sides have only met twice before at the World Cup. Belgium triumphed 1-0 in a group game at Barcelona's Camp Nou in 1982 while Diego Maradona hit a brace to lead Argentina to a 2-0 semi-final victory in the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City four years later. El Diego was the star of the tournament and led La Albiceleste to the title with a 3-2 win over West Germany in the final.
- 16.15Rumoured Liverpool target Divock Origi leads the line for Belgium with Chelsea's Romelu Lukaku on the bench despite his goalscoring exploits as a substitute in the last 16 victory over the USA. The Red Devils make one change from that extra-time success over the Yanks with Everton's Kevin Mirallas taking the spot of Dries Mertens. Meanwhile, there are three changes for Argentina. Man City defender Martin Demichelis is in for Federico Fernandez while Jose Basanta replaces the suspended Marcos Rojo at left back. Lucas Biglia also starts instead of Fernando Gago.
- 16.10Can this man inspire his country to a first WC semi final in 24 years?
- 16.07Confimation of how Argentina will line up.
- 16.05TEAMS - ARGENTINA: Romero, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Basanta, Mascherano, Biglia, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Messi, Higuain. /// BELGIUM: Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Mirallas, Hazard, Origi.
- 16.00Good evening and welcome to LIVE text commentary of the quarter-final showdown between Argentina and Belgium at the Estadio Nacional de Brasilia. Kick off 5pm BST.
|Team Manager:||Gerardo Martino|
|Team Manager:||Marc Wilmots|
|Á. Di María||0||0||0||8||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||33|
|D. van Buyten||0||0||0||2||3||0||1||0||0||0||0||90|
|K. De Bruyne||0||0||2||34||0||3||1||0||0||0||0||90|