- FTIt's been a wonderful World Cup, equalling the highest ever goal tally. And while the final might have been a bit light on goalmouth action, it produced fitting winners as Germany become the first European side to win the World Cup on Latin American soil. Thanks for joining us this last month - it's been a blast.
- 120+4'GERMANY ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!!! Mario Goetze's magnificent strike settles a gripping final, and the Germans are worthy World Cup winners. They were the best team at Brazil 2014, and few will begrudge them their moment of glory. Players and staff dance jubilantly on the pitch as the Argentines lie dejected.
- 120+3'Messi hammers it over the bar. It's all over.
- 120+2'Still waiting as Schweinsteiger is suffering with cramp. Messi to take.
- 120+1'Two minutes added. Messi is brought down. Free kick for Argentina. They can't, can they?
- Germany Substitution
- 120'It's all-but over... Mueller rampages down the left and slams a cross in but it's miles away from Oezil who only needed a cut back.
- 119'A long ball is pumped down field by Romero but Argentina can't make anything of it and Neuer again gathers.
- 118'Germany trying to run down time. Mertesacker to come on.
- 117'Messi with a half chance.. over the bar.
- 116'Neuer comes racing out of the his goal to claim the ball with Rojo closing in. Great goalkeeping.
- 115'None more crucial!
- 114'@Infostradalive: "This is the 171st goal at 2014 World Cup, equalling the 1998 record."
- 113'GOAL!!!!!!!! Goetze breaks the deadlock!!!! Schurrle races down the left and clips a lovely ball into Goetze who chests down before flashing a volley into the corner on the stretch!
- Germany Goal
Left Footed - Bottom Right
- 113'Schweinsteiger is back on the pitch. The German bench were furious with that Aguero challenge. It's getting a bit tasty out there.
- 112'More and more signs that we are heading for spot kicks.
- 111'The game continues and we have ANOTHER head injury as Mueller concedes a free kick when clashing with Garay.
- 110'Schweinsteiger has blood pouring from his face. Aguero should have gone for that fist in the face during the aerial challenge.
- 109'Aguero catches Schweinsteiger with a hand in the face. He's already been booked... but gets away with it.
- 108'A Germany free kick comes to nothing as another disappointing delivery is easily headed away.
- 107'A REMINDER: Germany are trying to win the World Cup for the fourth time, and also become the first European team to win the title in South America, while Argentina are aiming for a third crown.
- 106'ET: Second half. KICK OFF! Argentina get us underway. We are 15 minutes away from penalties.
- -A tad harsh?
- 105'Palacio wastes a chance to break and then fouls Lahm... and that's it for the first period of ET. Still goalless.
- 104'Our man Reda considers a last throw of the dice for Germany.
- 103'Aguero tries to wriggle free and feed Messi but the Man City man is hunted down and Schweinsteiger knocks it back to Neuer.
- 102'Argentina are the only team who have yet to fall behind at the 2014 World Cup. Germany have trailed just eight minutes against Ghana. Will this change or is it nailed on pens?
- 101'Brilliant reaction to Palacio's miss.
- 100'Germany probing. Lahm glides down the right and dinks a ball into the box but Mascherano mops up the danger.
- 99'La Albiceleste have kept four clean sheets at this World Cup - a joint-high with Netherlands - and have STILL yet to concede a goal in the knock-out stage.
- 98'STAT: Müller is the first-ever Golden Boot winner to reproduce his number of goals at the following World Cup (five goals in 2010, five in 2014). He could still become the first player ever to win the Golden Boot at successive World Cups...
- 97'ARGENTINA CHANCE! Palacio lobs Neuer but sees his shot drop wide of the right-hand post after Hummels had missed Rojo's wonderful ball from the left.
- 95'A France and Arsenal legend mentions the dreaded 'p' word.
- 93'A German who knows all about winning on the big stage...
- 92'Sensational start to ET as Romero beats away an effort from Schurrle inside the opening few seconds.
- 91'FIRST HALF in ET: KICK OFF. Germany get us underway. This is the seventh WC final to go to ET.
- -Pretty much sums it up!
- 90+3'FT: Germany 0-0 Argentina. Extra time it is.
- 90+3'Aguero breaks down the left but is denied in mid-jink by Hummels.
- 90+2'Goetze lines up a 30-yard shot for what feels like an eternity and then trickles a daisy-cutter straight into the hands of Romero, who casually bends down to pick it up.
- 90+1'Messi slips a ball in-behind for the run of Aguero but Germany mop it up and Neuer completes the clearance.
- 90'Three minutes of added time.
- 89'It feels like those changes have been made with ET in mind rather than winning it inside 90 minutes...(Trying to tempt fate).
- 88'GERMANY sub: Klose leaves the pitch of a WC game for most probably the last time in his career. He departs as the WC all-time scorer and is replaced by Goetze.
- Germany Substitution
- 87'A dangerous Messi run is halted. The rebound falls for Biglia who winds up to shoot but Schweinsteiger gets a vital toe on the ball.
- Argentina Substitution
- 86'Enzo Perez replaced by Fernando Gago.
- 85'After such a great first half this second period has been disappointing. Extra time beckons...
- 84'Argentina readying another change.
- 83'STAT: The last time Germany scored in a World Cup match and lost was the 1994 quarter final defeat to Bulgaria (1-2).
- 82'Close for Kroos as the midfielder arrives on a cut back from the right but slots his side footer wide of the right-hand post from the edge of the box.
- 80'Hoewedes stays up after a corner and Mueller feeds him, but the defender can't turn fast enough and Garay picks his pocket. How Germnay would have hoped for that to have fallen to Klose!
- 79'An incredible stat for Argentina. If you think back to the Nigeria game, it was hard to see the shut-outs coming.
- 78'Higuain goes off after an eventful evening. He's replaced by Palacio and that hairdo.
- Argentina Substitution
- 77'It's looking more and more like extra time... Would hate to see another WC final decided on penalties... We need someone to produce some magic...
- 76'Not that Higuain will remember it after this challenge...
- 75'PHOTO: It could have been very different if this goal had stood...
- 74'Messi jinks in from the right, always on the left peg looking for that curler. It eventually comes when he works his way central but he can't get the bend and it floats well wide in the end.
- 73'STAT: Argentina were eliminated by Germany at the 2006 and 2010 World Cups. No team has ever been eliminated by the same opponents in the knock-out stage of three successive World Cups.
- 72'It may be goalless but it's still impressing other sportsmen and women.
- 71'A nearly moment for Germany as Schurrle finds himself in the box after a flurry of short passes but he can't quite take it under control and Argentina just about snuff out the danger.
- 70'Hoewedes is sent clear down the left but gets his cross horribly wrong.
- 69'Let's hope not!
- 68'The lack of goals hasn't affected the atmosphere.
- 67'It's a disappointing delivery and Germany move clear with ease.
- 66'Free kick to Argentina 45 yards out as Biglia goes down following a porr tackle by Klose.
- 65'Aguero booked for a late challenge on Schweinsteiger. He follows Mascherano into the book who was cautioned just seconds earlier.
- Argentina Yellow card
- Argentina Yellow card
- 64'It's not as dour as the 1990 final but it could well be a 1-0 game this one. What do you think? Tweet @Paul_Hassall your predictions.
- 63'Messi lifts it to the near post but it seems to deflect off Klose via Aguero. It could have been another corner but the referee points for a goal kick.
- 63'Back up the other end and Aguero has won a corner for the South Americans...
- 62'Over an hour gone and still goalless. This game needs a goal... and almost on cue we almost had one. Schurrle whips a deflected ball into Oezil who can't adjust his feet on the run and the half chance goes begging.
- 61'STAT: Messi has failed to score in his last three games. He has not gone four international matches without a goal since Alejandro Sabella took charge of Argentina in August 2011
- 60'Half chance for Klose... Claimed by Romero.
- 60'Good point
- 59'The good news is that play is back underway with Higuain okay to continue.
- 58'Meanwhile, the sun sets...
- 57'The sweeper keeper, Neuer comes flying out of his goal to the edge of the box and punches clear while clattering Higuain at the same time. Germany somehow get the free kick! It was knee in the head for the Argentine.
- 56'PHOTO: Pre-match pleasantries before the battle.
- 55'The corner comes to nothing as Rojo wins a free kick off Mueller. Six of one...
- 54'Corner to Germany. Schurrle went down in the area, but the referee yelled 'play on' and Mueller's attempt on the left from a tight angle was diverted over.
- 53'Messi drops deep and jinks past three opponents before laying the ball off. Argentina keep the ball for a good 40 seconds or so until Mascherano tries a through ball that had no potential recipient.
- 52'Germany still finding their feet at the start of this half. Lots of possession but little cutting edge thus far.
- 51'Germany are unbeaten in their last 17 internationals (W12, D5).
- 50'Argentina have started the second period brightly. Higuain has a hapless swing at a loose ball on the edge of the area, but he completely misses his kick.
- 49'STAT: The Germans have lost more finals (four) than anyone else. That includes three defeats in their last four final appearances.
- 48'He should have scored...
- 47'Big chance! Messi times his run on the shoulder of the last defender perfectly but fires his low shot wide of the far post. He looked odds-on to score there.
- 47'Great vision by Mascherano as he lofts a great ball in-behind for Higuain who is flagged offside. That was very close, but the right call in the end.
- 47'STAT: Argentina's squad has an average age of just under 29 - if they win they will replace Italy (2006) as the oldest World Cup winners.
- 46'KICK OFF! Argentina restart the 2014 WC final after making a HT switch: Sergio Aguero comes on for Lavezzi.
- Argentina Substitution
- 45+2'HT: Germany 0-0 Argentina.
- 45+2'OFF THE POST! Höwedes has all day to attack a corner four yards out but somehow plants his header against the post with Mueller offside on the rebound. What a miss that was!
- 45+1'Kroos to take the corner once again...
- 45'Corner to Germany. Kroos fires it towards Hummels who can't quite connect as Garay gets their first concede another set piece. Two minutes added.
- 44'Wonderful cross from the right by Mueller arcs across the six-yard box, begging to be nodded home, but Klose is caught on his heels. The WC all-time top scorer grimaces ruefully.
- 43'Mueller slips a pass into Oezil on the edge of the area. The Arsenal man shows good close control before picking out Kroos who fires his shot straight at Romero from 20 yards out.
- 42'Mueller hangs a cross from the right towards Schurrle but Zabaleta is on hand to flick his header to safety.
- 41'Still goalless as we approach the interval but there has been plenty of incident.
- 40'Messi sprints down the right and into the area. The little magician is tight to the byline but somehow gets the ball past Neuer and Boateng comes to the rescue by hooking away from inside his six-yard box.
- 39'STAT: This is the eight time Germany or West Germany have appeared in a World Cup final - a new record. They have won three and lost four of the previous seven finals.
- 38'Almost an immediate impact from Schurrle who has been a deadly super sub at this WC.
- 37'GOOD SAVE! Romero dives to his right to push away Schurrle's first-time effort after a quick break by the Germans.
- 36'Neuer comes and claims Lavezzi's corner all too easily.
- 35'Lovely play by Lavezzi and Messi on the counter before the latter attempts to thread it through to Higuain who was in acres of space in the area. Let off for Germany as they manage to get a foot on it and clear for a corner.
- 34'Our man in Brazil reckons it could have been worse for Hoewedes.
- 33'Another yellow for Germany as Höwedes crunches Zabaleta. Looked a bit high.
- Germany Yellow card
- 32'Germany have been like a pack of cards constantly reshuffling for the past 45 minutes or so!
- Germany Substitution
- 31'BLOW for GERMANY: The pre-match replacement is replaced as Kramer comes off and Schurrle takes his place.
- 30'GOAL DISALLOWED!!! The cross from Lavezzi on the right is ruthlessly tucked home by Higuain just outside the six-yard box but the flag is up and it won't count. It's the right call too.
- 29'Schweinsteiger the first man in the book for a foul on Higuain.
- Germany Yellow card
- 28'Lahm teases an audacious outside of the foot cross in towards Mueller who can't reach it, but Romero still needs to palm the curling ball away... It's all rather pointless though as the flag is up and Argentina survive.
- 27'Great stat.
- 26'PREVIOUS: The most recent match between these two sides was a friendly encounter in Frankfurt in August 2012. Argentina triumphed 3-1.
- 25'Proof that it's not been Higuain's day so far... Plenty of time to emerge as a hero though!
- 24'Photo of Mesmeric Messi in full flow.
- 23'Mueller almost wriggles his way into a shooting position after a nice exchange with Klose but Argentina get bodies around him to slam the door shut.
- 22'A taster of some of Twitter's reaction to that Higuain miss...
- 21'WHAT A MISS! A shocking back header by Kroos puts Higuain clean through but he snatches at the chance and drags it harmlessly wide from the edge of the area.
- 20'Another prediction on Twitter via ex-pro Neil Mellor...
- 19'Another record for Klose!
- 18'Kramer is down after an off-the-ball knock via the shoulder of Garay. It was a heavy blow. Play has been stopped. He looks a bit dazed but is back on his feet now, thankfully.
- 17'STAT: This is the 10th time that teams from Europe and South America face each other in the final. Seven of these finals have been won by the teams from South America.
- 16'Kroos drills a low corner towards the penalty spot but Mascherano reads it and manages to stab it clear to the edge of the area. Fortunately for him there was no-one in a German shirt running onto it.
- 16'Kroos knocks a free kick from the left into the area towards Mueller but Argentina are alive to the danger and get it clear. Corner ball.
- 15'Our man in Brazil is enjoying what he has seen so far.
- 14'Lahm clips a ball in from the right towards Klose but Demichelis gets across and denies the frontman a chance to attack it.
- 13'Kramer: "Pressure? What pressure?"
- 12'Klose heads away at the near post but it's been a good response by La Albiceleste after Germany had made the early running.
- 11'Argentina are still on the attack and they earn a corner on the right.
- 10'Argentina work a nice opening down the right where Zabaleta cuts a dangerous ball back towards the penalty spot but it dissects his two teammates in the area.
- 9'Messi looking lively early on...
- 8'First sight of Messi in full flow as he marauds down the right and gets to the byline but his cutback can't find Higuain and Germany come away with it.
- 7'Argentina don't learn their lesson as Mueller is given the freedom of the right win but his curling cross is straight into the arms of Romero. Would have been dangerous if Germany had a runner to the near post.
- 6'Demichelis gets across to put in a superb challenge on Muller who was again free on the right.
- 5'Neat approach from Germany finds Mueller on the right but his low pass is diverted away from Ozil and Argentina manage to usher it back to Romero.
- 4'Toni Kroos drills the free kick straight into the wall... Argentina break and Higuain gets free on the right of the area but drags his effort wide. End to end stuff, let's hope the platyers keep this up.
- 3'Free kick to Germany as Rojo nudges Mueller over. It's 25 yards out and provides an early opening for the Germans...
- 2'Another shout for Argentina to win this via your predictions on Twitter. Keep them coming!
- 2'Germany are playing in their eighth World Cup final which is more than any other nation. They have won three titles. Argentina feature in their fifth World Cup final - they have won two and lost two of the previous four.
- 1'KICK OFF! Germany get the 2014 World Cup final up and running.
- 19.57It's been a while since Seinfeld, but he's back in the spotlight!
- 19.55No pressure for Kramer then...
- 19.52Late blow for Germany...
- 19.50We've got a vote for Argentina via Twitter. Get involved with your own predictions of score and scorer(s) - tweet @Paul_Hassall
- 19.47Stars of yesteryear begin to soak up the atmosphere inside the stadium.
- 19.45FLASHBACK: Back in 2010 Germany hammered Diego Maradona's 'all-out attacking' Argentina 4-0 in the last eight.
- 19.42Which pundit was the star of the WC show for viewers in the UK? The Media Blog asked the question and got a top three that probably won't surprise you too much...
- 19.40Former Liverpool midfielder, Maxi Rodriguez has refused to go via the usual PR route when it comes to Germany's success against Argentina in recent WC encounters. Indeed, revenge is very much on his mind. He said: "Since they knocked us out on the last two occasions, I can't deny that I'm out for payback. The first time was more painful because it was on penalties. In South Africa it was different, because we hardly got into the game. But now it's a final, the most important match we're going to play. Of course I want revenge."
- 19.38Was Alejandro Sabella asked to sum up what makes Germany such a consistent contender in the latter stages of tournaments? If so, this was a pretty good answer: "Germany has shown throughout its history great physical and mental power, and players with a hint of South America. Germany knows what team work, organisation and long-term work is."
- 19.35Joachim Loew is not buying some suggestions that Argentina are Messi plus 10. He told his pre-match press conference: "This team is not just Messi and if you think that then you would be making a mistake. They have other attacking powers like Sergio Aguero, Angel di Maria. This team does not live solely on Messi. They have a good compact organisation, better than in 2010."
- 19.32The formations...
- 19.30So who do you fancy tonight? Will it be Germany's year after being the nearly men in recent years? Or will Lionel Messi's star shine bright and steer Argentina to glory? Tweet me, @Paul_Hassall, your score and scorers and I'll include some in this live commentary.Tweet us your predictions!
Argentina or Germany?
- 19.28But four years later, at Italia 90, it was West Germany's turn as they edged a poor final 1-0 courtesy of Andreas Brehme's penalty.
- 19.25This is the third World Cup final meeting between the two teams. Back in 1986 Argentina prevailed 3-2 after West Germany had hit back from 2-0 down to level.
- 19.22Will it be 'Mueller time' once again?
- 19.20Lionel Messi and Thomas Mueller still have a chance of pipping James Rodriguez to the Golden Boot. Find out how they can win it and who was the hot-shot at previous tournaments here.Everything you need to know about the race for the Golden Boot
Will Thomas Mueller usurp James Rodriguez at the top of the goalscoring charts? Does Lionel Messi still have a chance? All is revealed here... Continue reading →
- 19.17A bit more from the closing ceremony.
- 19.15Tonight marks the end of a full month's worth of the greatest football show on earth - but what were the main high and low points? Our experts offer there views on what they loved and what they didn't here...World Cup highs and lows: Our experts have their say
Ahead of Sunday's final in Rio de Janeiro, we asked our World Cup special correspondents to give us their highs and lows from an unforgettable tournament. Continue reading →
- 19.12The high points of the opening and closing ceremonies...
- 19.10These Argentine fans can't wait for kick off!
- 19.07Check out our piece on the four key battles that could decide where the trophy is destined to call 'home' for the next four years.Where the World Cup final will be won and lost
As one of the finest World Cups in football history draws to a close we take a look at four key battles that are sure to shape the showpiece final. Continue reading →
- 19.05BOTH sides unchanged from the semi finals... TEAMS - GERMANY: Neuer, Lahm, Hummels, Boateng, Höwedes, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Müller, Kroos, Özil, Klose. /// ARGENTINA: Romero, Garay, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Rojo, Mascherano, Biglia, Perez, Higuain, Messi, Lavezzi.
- 19.02A breakdown of how the teams reached this showpiece occasion and more...
- 19.00Good evening and welcome to LIVE text coverage of the 2014 World Cup final between Germany and Argentina at the Estadio do Maracana in Rio de Janeiro.
|Team Manager:||Joachim Löw|
|Team Manager:||Gerardo Martino|