Arsenal Message Board
To be honest Jack, I have been busy at work and the board has become, lets say, scarce of any meaningful or fun debates and discussions.
A few things have happened which I was delighted with.
Hector Bellerin is developing really well. He has had some great games and will provide Wenger with a real headache when Jenkinson comes back, because he's doing very well too.
Coquelin had a brilliant game against City, which was in itself a great result.
I'm keeping everything crossed that Paulista will be as brilliant for us as he has been for Villareal this season.
He looks like the perfect remedy for those games where Mertesacker is just too slow.
I am up at the Emirates for the Villa game on Sunday and have already got my tickets for the Monaco game too. Looking forward to the run in now.
I hope everyone had a relaxing and enjoyable Christmas with family and friends. I am planning to keep January dry. Not only does my liver need to rest, but my wallet took a big hit throughout December too!
No doubt many would have been delighted, bemused and frustrated in equal measure by their teams performances over the festive period.
The mid-season sales open tomorrow. I for one can't wait to see what efforts are made to strengthen our team.
4th and progress in the CL will only be possible with at least two new signings.
Well the early news reports Podolski is off to Milan on loan.
My guess it is with an option to buy at the end of the season.
In my humble opinion, this just made our squad weaker.
Wilshere has been injured since, what, October? Until he has a good stretch of games but no improvement I maintain he has bags of potential. Until his latest injury, his form had been decent, though inconsistent. He looked like he had improved on last year. He's also only just turned 23, so he's got plenty of time to sort himself out. I don't think you can really write off a footballer's career until at least late 20s and even then some players make extraordinary leaps in the space of just a few months. But with his profile from an early age, I accept Wilshere really is running out of time to keep himself fit, show some form and actually develop as a player.
I will agree several things with anyone:
1) he's clearly a stupid little khunt, though that's basically par for a PL footballer
2) if he keeps getting injured potential, etc is entirely meaningless. RVP managed multiple seasons with injury after injury, but I don't think we have the patience for that with Wilshere.
3) he shouldn't be walking into the England team just because he's Wilshere, a press darling and has "potential". He does actually have to do something.
But I've seen nothing to discourage my belief that (a) he is highly talented and has all the right attributes to be the best English midfielder over the next decade (I actually think Wilshere and Henderson could be a formidable partnership and (b) his skills are almost unique amongst English footballers where we have an overflow of physical grafters, which makes him a footballer of the future rather than of the past.
All that being said, his attitude stinks and his rate of development over the last few years is extremely disappointing.
I was at the game and what I saw was:
1. The final ball. It just wasn't there. It just never worked for us.
2. Giroud was well off his game. He has apologised for this, and must make amends in the next game, or run the risk of being labelled forever a big game failure.
3. Mertesacker was also off his game. He ventured too far out and lost too many challenges.
4. Ozil was ineffective. He kept passing sideways or backwards and kept the ball too long. This slowed our game and allowed Monaco to get back in position.
In the end we just went mad and left our defences wide open for the third.
I've got a few more games to go to before the end of the season, but if we don't beat Liverpool, I may just give 'A' Games a miss. I've seen us draw against Spurs and lose against Utd and Monaco this season so far. £66 a ticket for that isn't worth it.
I hope the £40 per ticket I've paid for the West Ham game delivers good value.