Barton seeks move to Marseille

Joey Barton has said his 'heart is already in the Velodrome' as he eyes a move to Marseille and away from current club QPR.

Eurosport
Marseille confirm move for Barton
.

View photo

Joey Barton has not been given a squad number by QPR for next year

The former QPR captain railed at the way he had been treated by the club in the wake of his 12-match ban earned at the end of last season in a lengthy outburst on Twitter.

Barton joined QPR in the summer transfer window a year ago, but fell out of favour when new manager Mark Hughes came to the club, with the ban after his red card and attack on Sergio Aguero in the club's final game against Manchester City last season thought to be the final straw.

The midfielder said he was optimistic that a move to France could be arranged before the transfer deadline on Friday.

"Marseille won again as well," Barton began, "Allez les Marseillais. Maybe I'll see you all this week?

"I am hopeful that things will be sorted out soon. Other clubs are in but I only want to play in Marseille. This is the place for me. Hopefully, QPR and Marseille can finalise the deal in the next few days. My heart is already in the Vélodrome."

Barton then said that he had been frozen out at Loftus Road, forced to train away from the first team - but insisted that he respected Hughes' decision.

"Not going to cry about it," Barton added. "Maybe it's just time to move on. I enjoyed parts of last season and believe I am more than capable of playing this year. But the manager doesn't. Such is life. I have no problem with this as its my fault I am banned for 12(10 now) games.

"When a person makes a decision he has to stand by that. I respect Hughes for this. I don't agree but accept his decision. I am not the type of player to sit on the sidelines and take the cash. It's not me. I could do that for the next 3 years but it's not me. I want to play football."

"Hopefully, the QPR fans will accept that. I offered to resign from the club/contract when I got my ban. Tony Fernandes and Amit Bhatia will testify that I am telling the truth. I accepted my punishment from the FA and the club for my behaviour against Man City like a man.

"I could have appealed as is my right. I chose not to out of respect. But when I returned to the club. I am forced to train away from the 1st team. I am stripped of the captaincy. Then, made to train at 3pm Then, I am hawked around on loan. Then, I have my shirt number taken without any notice. Then, I read I wouldn't have been signed had the current regime been in place.

"I accepted all this. I never once spoke out of turn or angrily towards anybody. I am a man. I can only take so much. I want to leave. I hope to move on with my career, with my life. If that is in France, so be it. I don't want to be disrespectful to QPR but enough is enough."

View Comments