Boxing - Agyei-Dua caps entertaining night at York Hall

Goodwin Promotions latest York Hall instalment on Saturday night raced through nine entertaining bouts, which culminated in a stoppage win for Brentwood light middleweight Kris Agyei-Dua (6-2-2) who stopped Bulgarian Stanislav Nenkov (8-5) in the fifth round of a scheduled ten.

Boxing - Bad Boy Bennett targets cruiserweight eliminator

View photo

Boxing gloves generic (Reuters)

Agyei-Dua (10st 13lbs 1oz) entered the ring with his family The favourite looked lacklustre in the opener, but still dominated against an opponent who brought an amateurish style to the ring. Stanislav Nenkov's (10st 10lbs) record of eight wins and five losses sounds credible enough, but, like a lot of imports, the wins have come poor opposition.

The tempo gradually increased in rounds two and three, but Agyei-Dua struggled to find a way through the high guard of Nenkov. The Bulgarian was in good physical condition and kept moving, making it difficult for Agyei-Dua to land cleanly. He tried to encourage his opponent into attack by lowering his hands ,but Nenkov rarely took take the bait.

By the fifth, both fighters were offering encouragement to each other. Agyei-Dua relaxed on the ropes with his hands down while Nenkov waved him on, and the fight finally opened up with some clean shots landing. After a few exchanges Agyei-Dua seemed to connect on the ear of the Bulgarian, shaking him up and allowing a sustained attack while he was unbalanced. After two flurries in quick succession, referee Kieran McCann decided to intervene. Nenkov probably still had enough about him to carry on but Agyei-Dua had dominated in the main and nobody was complaining too much about the stoppage.

A curious heavyweight contest between Berkshire's Jamie Hearn (16st) and Hackney's Larry Olubamiwo (18st 4lbs 8oz) probably knocked any ambition out of Olubamiwo that remained after a comprehensive comeback loss to Sam Sexton a couple of weeks back. The former drugs cheat took the fight at one day’s notice, but was suitably recompensed for his brief appearance.

Hearn last campaigned as a professional boxer in 2006, mainly at super middleweight, and in the intervening years he indulged in cage fighting. He tore off from the first bell, adopting a kind of cage fighting stance and looking like he was ready to grapple rather than box, presumably in an attempt to unnerve the much taller, more experienced natural heavyweight Olubamiwo. A slugfest ensued, with Hearn soon getting on top and raining in hooks on Larry O while he was backed up on the ropes.

Olubamiwo managed to navigate back to the centre of the ring but Hearn continued to press and landed a monster right hook sending his opponent to the canvas midway through the first round. Olubamiwo went down hard, but pulled himself up just before the 10 count, only for referee Robert Williams to wave it off, with Olubamiwo still unsteady.

Cranham super middle Lee Markham (11st 13lbs 6oz) is a decent boxer, and was under-matched in his International Masters Silver super-middleweight title bout against Czech Bronislav Kubin (11st 10lbs 2oz). Although the challenger started busily, Markham looked comfortable and within the first minute demonstrated a gulf in class and power with some slick body and head combinations.

Markham continued where he left off in the second session and sent his opponent down hard with a left hook to the body. Kubin just about recovered in time but Markham got straight back on top and dropped his opponent again with a flurry of shots.

The Czech beat the count once more, and heard the bell for the end of the round, which gave him a breather. Kubin couldn't stop the onslaught in the third however, and Markham landed an overhand right to finish the fight in fine fashion halfway through round three. Markham moves into double figures for wins (10-1) and moves inside the country’s top ten super middles in the BoxRec ratings system.

An eight rounder for the International Masters Bronze light-heavyweight strap took place between Bushey’s Miles Shinkwin (12st 6lbs 8oz) and Czech Josef Krivka (12st 6lbs 6oz). Shinkwin looked like he was always going to win the contest, but got caught with head shots a few times early on. But Shinkwin wasn't fazed by the glancing blows, and instead he focused on the body of Krivka, flooring him twice with body shots in round one.

Round two was more of the same. Despite Krivka desperately trying to defend his ribs, Shinkwin knocked his man over twice more before Kieran McCann showed mercy and ended the contest.

Promising Leytonstone light welter Philip Bowes (10st 1lbs 8oz) remains unbeaten after dismantling Somerset’s Dean Mills (10st 1lbs 8oz) in three rounds. Mills began by attacking in quick bursts but Bowes looked classy and quick, and he bloodied the nose of the shorter man in the first round.

Mills was still up for competing with Bowes in the second round but the Londoner seriously staggered him with a blow towards the back of the head. Mills took a knee but the short break wasn't enough and he didn't look the same afterwards.

Bowes was in complete control in the third and sent Mills tumbling with a textbook southpaw straight left down the pipe. Mills got to his feet before he was counted but the referee waved it off with no complaints from the injured man or his corner.

Former Southern area welterweight champion, Croydon Bomber Chas Symonds (11st 4lbs) has been involved in some cracking scraps over the years. Staging his latest comeback, he took on Bognor’s Liam Griffiths (11st 9lbs 8oz) in a scheduled four rounder at light middleweight. Neither fighter is known for being a particularly slick operator, and it was a scrappy affair.

Griffiths was awkward and didn't offer a lot in terms of attack, while Symonds only managed to land a few clean shots throughout the contest which was enough to give the Bomber a decisive 40-37 decision victory.

Barking’s ‘Afghan Lion’ Israrullah Yaqobzai (10st 12lbs) made his debut against Rochdale’s Jason McArdle (11st 8oz) in the light middleweight divison after racking up a decent amateur record. Despite McArdle's three losses from four fights, he proved to be a solid first opponent. Yaqobzai was on the front foot, throwing spiky combinations from his southpaw stance, but McArdle covered up well and threw back some powerful hooks from the his position on the ropes.

The two continued with the fierce pace and although Yaqobzai was dominant, McArdle's counters were connecting more frequently as the debutant tired. Referee Kieran McCann rewarded Yaqobzai for bringing the fight, giving him a 39-37 win.

In November, Sidcup’s Martin Hillman lost on his debut to experienced Latvian Pavels Senkovs, but he managed to bring plenty of support to witness him get off the mark against York’s Road Warrior Graham Fearn.

The ugly super featherweight contest early on the bill featured a lot of the clinches, especially in the first round, but novice Hillman (9st 6lbs 8oz) settled into the bout a bit more in round two and edged control over Fearn (9st 11lbs) by landing the slightly cleaner shots.

It took until the end of the fourth and final round for both men to open up a bit. Hillman eventually won the contest 39-38 by decision, gaining his first pro win and leveling his slate.

The evening’s boxing began with a super middleweight four threes between Romanian Vitalie Mirza (11st 11lbs 4oz) and Acton’s Dalton Miller (11st 11lbs). Mirza was aggressive from the first bell and Miller took a minute or two to warm up, probably losing him the opening round.

The Jamaican born Miller managed to up his intensity for the rest of the contest and his straight shots were getting through the defence of the Romanian. It was not enough to get the decision however, as the aggression from Mirza edged him the fight 39-38 on referee Kieran McCann’s card.

View comments (0)