Boxing - Hughie Fury marches on - Milton Keynes undercard round up

Hughie Fury continued his march up the UK rankings with a workman like performance against former foe Moses Matovu. Fury fought Matovu in May 2013 in his third fight and was again forced to go the distance against the Northern Ireland based Ugandan.

Boxing - Hughie Fury marches on - Milton Keynes undercard round up

View photo

Hughie Fury marches on - Milton Keynes undercard round up

Fury (8-0) took the fight to the very game Matovu (4-29-4) from the first bell, trying to slow his opponent down with vicious body shots. From the offset Matovu wanted to hold and tie Fury up but this tactic only enraged Fury, who worked out of the clinches and threw some huge right hand bombs that had marginal success.

As the fight wore on both fighters started to open up and there were several moments where Fury had Matovu pinned on the ropes landing at will.  He wasn’t getting it all his way - he had to ship a few head shots as Matovu bravely fought back.

The fourth and final round of the bout was by far the most entertaining as Matovu started to showboat, waving his hands in the air giving Fury the chance to land unanswered head shots. Fury unleashed well timed head and body shots and had the Ugandan in some trouble, but could not pin his man down and get the stoppage.

Fury was announced the winner 40-36 on referee Bob Williams’ scorecard. Speaking after the fight Fury stated: “I just want to keep training hard and keep as active as I can."

The first fight of the afternoon saw Sudbury’s Billy ‘boy’ Bird  (11st 9lb) take on Brighton’s James Child (11st 13lb) in a middleweight contest. Bird, based in Norwich, was escorted to the ring by trainers Graham Everett and Norwich boxing legend Jon Thaxton.

Bird (2-0) took the fight to Child (0-5) and he immediately had success throwing straight left and right hands through the middle of Child’s high guard. Bird continued to be the aggressor during the second session and bloodied Child's nose with more straight right hands.

Bird slowed slightly during the third round and was fighting with his hands low trying to pick off Child with his jab. Child was starting to have some of his own success landing a three punch combo which made Bird go on the defensive. Both fighters gave it their all during the closing round which had the crowd on their feet at the final bell. Bird was awarded a 40-36 decision from referee Bob Williams. A good win for Bird but credit must be given to Child for making a fight of it.

Next up was Luton’s Marco Stephenson (3-2) taking on debutant Bryan Richardson at light-heavyweight. Stephenson (12st 13lb) went straight in for the kill and hit Richardson (12st 1lb) with a peach of a left hand bang on the jaw. Richardson’s legs went wayward and he touched down momentarily and took another shot on his way back up. An eight count was administered by referee Bob Williams.

Richardson showed his inexperience and instantly walked into another huge left and went down again. Stephenson went in for the finish and detonated yet another left hook which send Richardson to the canvas for the third time. He rose after eight but the referee sensibly waved off the contest after 63 seconds of the 1st round.

Wokingham’s Mark Douglas (7-3), escorted to the ring by trainer Jim Evans, was looking to extend his three fight winning streak against Colchester’s Drew Campbell (1-17) in a four round light-middleweight bout.

Douglas (10st 13lb) was the aggressor from the offset landing solid body shots on Campbell. (11st 3lb). As the first progressed Douglas kept on the front foot and landed a right rook to Campbell’s head and he crumbled in a neutral corner.

Campbell did rise but and referee Bob Williams made another good decision and halted the bout after 1 minute 55 seconds of the opener. Campbell walked back to his corner clearly dazed and was checked over by the doctors but was quickly given the all clear.

Read the original article on BoxRecNews

View Comments