Championship - Leicester hit Ipswich for six

Nigel Pearson watched Leicester stroll to a 6-0 victory over Ipswich and halt a four-match league run without a win in style at the end of a week which marked the one-year anniversary of his return as manager.

Championship - Schmeichel and Nugent put Leicester second

View photo

Leicester City's manager Nigel Pearson (PA)

Four goals came in the first half. David Nugent opened the scoring from the penalty spot after eight minutes and doubled Leicester's lead with his second strike 10 minutes later.

The superb Lloyd Dyer got on the scoresheet just before the half-hour mark and Anthony Knockaert netted two minutes before the break. Martyn Waghorn scored another for the Foxes shortly after half-time and substitute Marko Futacs completed the rout in the 82nd minute.

Glenn Murray and Andre Moritz fired Crystal Palace two points clear at the top with a 3-0 win over Derby.

Murray grabbed his sixth and seventh goals in four games and Brazilian Moritz - whose inclusion from the start was the first change Ian Holloway has made to the team since he took over - rifled in his third in three.

Cardiff recorded a ninth straight home win to climb above opponents Middlesbrough and into the automatic promotion places with a 1-0 win at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Recalled defender Matthew Connolly bagged the only goal of an injury-ravaged match as Boro slipped to a first league defeat in nine.

Sone Aluko came back to haunt his old club as Hull held off a Birmingham fightback to win 3-2 and claim only their second victory at St Andrew's in over 100 years.

Aluko took full advantage of Birmingham's high defensive line to grab a well-taken brace and take his tally to eight goals for the season, with James Chester's third putting Hull firmly on course for their first win at Birmingham since 1970.

Ravel Morrison sparked a Blues revival before the break while Marlon King, another playing against a former club, bagged his 10th of the season 21 seconds into the second half but the fourth-placed Tigers held on.

Will Buckley marked his return for Brighton with two first-half goals to help his side leapfrog Huddersfield into a play-off place with a 2-1 win.

The 24-year-old midfielder powered home an unstoppable shot from the edge of the penalty area in the fifth minute and doubled Brighton's lead five minutes before half-time with a clinical low finish.

Simon Church, on loan from Reading, struck a consolation for Huddersfield in the final minute in his second game for the club, but it was too little too late for Simon Grayson's side, who slipped to a third home league defeat of the season.

Miguel Llera's own-goal condemned Sheffield Wednesday to a 10th defeat of the season as they lost 1-0 to Nottingham Forest at the City Ground.

Both sides had spurned golden opportunities but a lack of quality in the final third was the enduring theme for much of the game, before Spanish defender Llera headed past Chris Kirkland with a quarter of an hour remaining.

Troy Deeney's fourth goal of the campaign finally put paid to 10-man Wolves' hopes as Watford continued their improvement under Gianfranco Zola with a 2-1 win over Wolves.

Wolves found themselves with a mountain to climb after only 25 minutes when defender Christophe Berra received a straight red card for a mistimed challenge on Deeney and the Hornets were ahead when Nathaniel Chalobah turned home a chance from 12 yards after good work from Fernando Forestieri.

Wolves levelled after 54 minutes when Bakary Sako blasted home from all of 35 yards but they were caught napping after 68 minutes when a cross by Mark Yeates was headed home from six yards by Deeney.

Danny Haynes struck a second-half winner as Charlton beat 10-man Burnley 1-0 to register a third consecutive win.

Sean Dyche's Clarets, chasing a fourth straight victory at Turf Moor, were a man down after 15 minutes when Kieran Trippier handled on the goalline with little intent amid a penalty-box melee.

Blackpool's Thomas Ince scored a late penalty to deny Bristol City their first victory since mid-September but Steven Davies' spot-kick meant Derek McInnes' men ended a run of seven straight npower Championship defeats with a 1-1 draw.

Davies slammed a penalty past Matt Gilks in the 81st minute after Albert Adomah was fouled, ending a goal drought stretching back nearly seven hours, but Ince had the final say on the stroke of 90 minutes.

Craig Davies marked his return from injury with a valuable goal as struggling Barnsley ended their losing run by coming from behind to grab a 1-1 draw at Bolton.

The evergreen Kevin Davies made the most of good work from Chris Eagles to give Bolton a first-half lead. However, Barnsley refused to give up and levelled when Craig Davies, back from a hamstring problem, fired home via Adam Bogdan's right-hand post in the 65th minute.

View Comments