The 28-year-old was admitted to hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning and placed in an induced coma for two days after suffering multiple injuries, including a fractured skull. Ryder released a statement on Sunday saying he was "heaps better" and his manager Aaron Klee revealed that he has now returned to his Wellington home.
"Jesse's returned home to Wellington this evening, the hospital released him this afternoon, he's improved to a stage where he's been discharged," Klee told ONE News. "He couldn't wait to get home, he's relaxed but he's very tired and he's going to be very tired for a while, not a lot of energy."
Klee said it was still uncertain when Ryder - whose controversial international career has been put on hold since February last year due to off-field problems - would be able to return to normal day-to-day life.
"It's a bit of a wait and see, how first he recovers from his injuries and then regains everyday fitness and just see how things progress from there, but rest is required at the moment," he said.
Two men - a 20-year-old and a 37-year-old who police said are related - will appear in Christchurch District Court on Thursday charged with assault.
Police believe Ryder was involved in an altercation with two people outside Aikmans bar in the Christchurch suburb of Merivale shortly after 12.30am local time on Thursday morning, and was then assaulted by one of the two, who followed him towards the car park of a nearby McDonald's.
Ryder spoke with police on Tuesday but was unable to recall the incident.
"Unfortunately Mr Ryder has no recollection of what took place or the events leading up to the incident," detective senior sergeant Brian Archer said in a statement from New Zealand Police. "This is not uncommon when a victim has received a head injury of this nature.
"Should Mr Ryder gain sufficient recollection as his recovery continues then we may look to speak to him again, however there are no immediate plans to re-interview him at this time."
- Crime & Justice
- Politics & Government