* The Preakness Stakes is a race for three-year-olds over a mile-and-three-sixteenths (1.91 kilometres), held annually on the third Saturday of May at Pimlico in Baltimore, Maryland.
* The race was first run in 1873 and this year's edition will be the 137th. The race was not held from 1891-1893.
* The Preakness Stakes is the second leg of U.S. thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown, following the Kentucky Derby and before the Belmont Stakes.
* The Preakness is the shortest of the three races.
* Only 11 horses have won all three legs of the Triple Crown:
Sir Barton (1919), Gallant Fox (1930), Omaha (1935), War Admiral (1937), Whirlaway (1941), Count Fleet (1943), Assault (1946), Citation (1948), Secretariat (1973), Seattle Slew (1977) and Affirmed (1978).
* The prize money for this year's race is $1 million. The winning connections get around $660,000 plus a replica of the Woodlawn Vase trophy.
* The most successful trainer is Wyndham Walden with seven winners between 1875 and 1888.
* The most successful jockey is Eddie Arcaro with six wins between 1941 and 1957.
2011 - Shackleford
2010 - Lookin At Lucky
2009 - Rachel Alexandra
2008 - Big Brown
2007 - Curlin
2006 - Bernardini
2005 - Afleet Alex
2004 - Smarty Jones
2003 - Funny Cide
2002 - War Emblem
2001 - Point Given
2000 - Red Bullet