The Australian, battling Finland's 2007 world champion Kimi Raikkonen for the Red Bull seat to be vacated by Mark Webber at the end of the season, drove for both Red Bull-owned teams on the second day of a young driver test.
The Toro Rosso race driver set the day's fastest time of one minute 32.972 seconds with his current team before lunch.
The Australian then switched to the Red Bull and set a time of 1:33.187, the third fastest of the day. He was also left red faced when he ran into the gravel after just seven laps and stopped the session.
"Just my mistake. I was probably pushing a bit too hard," he told reporters.
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner had said on Thursday that they were "keen to have a look at Daniel as a prospect for next year."
Spaniard Carlos Sainz junior, 18-year-old son of the retired world rally champion, was an impressive second fastest for Toro Rosso in 1:33.016 on his first F1 outing. He will test the Red Bull on Friday.
Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado, one of four regular race drivers on the track on Thursday, tested the new type of Pirelli tyres to be introduced at next week's Hungarian Grand Prix.
"The tyres feel quite different but we need to see how we compare against other cars on the track with the same compounds," said the Williams driver.
"We didn't get performance from the car with them so we need more time in Hungary as we couldn't make any set up changes today."
Susie Wolff, the team's female development driver, will be in the car on Friday in her first proper Formula One test.
1. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m32.972s
2. Carlos Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso 1m33.016s
3. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull 1m33.187s
4. Davide Valsecchi Lotus 1m33.554s
5. Oliver Turvey McLaren 1m33.864s
6. James Calado Force India 1m33.957s
7. Antonio Felix da Costa Red Bull 1m33.958s
8. Davide Rigon Ferrari 1m34.053s
9. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1m34.116s
10. Nico Hulkenberg Sauber 1m34.224s
11. Daniel Juncadella Williams 1m34.631s
12. Robin Frijns Sauber 1m34.731s
13. Will Stevens Caterham 1m36.082s
14. Paul di Resta Force India 1m36.356s
15. Rodolfo Gonzalez Marussia 1m37.949s 92
- Sports & Recreation
- Motor Racing
- Toro Rosso
- Daniel Ricciardo