Frankel confirmed for Sussex Stakes

Frankel will defend his Sussex Stakes title at Glorious Goodwood on August 1.

Eurosport

The four-year-old Galileo colt, unbeaten in 10 races and six at Group One level, is the world’s leading racehorse and won the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot by 11 lengths.

Owned by Khalid Abdulla, Frankel is trained by Sir Henry Cecil and has been ridden by Tom Queally on all his starts.

He will go up against four entries from trainer Richard Hannon in the mile-long race: Dubawi GoldHarbour WatchStrong Suit and Trumpet Major.

Hannon won the 2010 Sussex Stakes with Canford Cliffs, who has since been retired to stud, and has claimed the Dick Hern Trophy for the leading trainer at Goodwood in each of the past four years.

Strong Suit won the Group Two bet365 Lennox Stakes over seven furlongs last year – and he is being aimed at the main event this year.

“Strong Suit is definitely being aimed at the QIPCO Sussex Stakes - it’s his big target if everything goes right for him,” said David Redvers, racing manager for the horse’s owners Qatar Racing Limited.

“We know he enjoys the track at Goodwood and we think the race will be perfect for him.

“The plan at the moment is for him to make his reappearance at Royal Ascot next month in the Queen Anne Stakes, which should hopefully bring him on nicely for the QIPCO Sussex Stakes.”

Adam Waterworth, managing director of Goodwood Racecourse, said: “This year’s entry is two higher than in 2011 and it is refreshing that so many trainers and owners are willing take on Frankel.

“The strong representation of three-year-olds is very pleasing and the QIPCO Sussex Stakes is the first opportunity for milers of that age to meet the established stars at Group One level.”

On Friday Cecil said: "He [Frankel] seems fine, he went out yesterday for a trot and a walk and we'll feel our way. I'd say at the moment it's more likely he'll go to Goodwood and to York."

There are a total of 37 entries for the Sussex Stakes.

View Comments (0)