League Two - Chesterfield extend lead at top with Oxford win

League Two leaders Chesterfield went four points clear at the top of the table with a 1-0 win over 10-man Oxford.

League Two - Chesterfield extend lead at top with Oxford win

View photo

Ritchie Humphreys is excited about a new challenge at Chesterfield

Ritchie Humphreys opened the scoring on the half-hour mark as he volleyed in Eoin Doyle’s cross to put the hosts ahead.

Oxford defender Dandy Whing was shown a straight red card for a tackle on Doyle midway through the second half.

Fleetwood moved to second in the table, extending their unbeaten run to four games, with a 1-0 victory at Portsmouth.

Jamille Matt raced through on goal with just over 20 minutes to play and saw his effort rebound of Sonny Bradley and into the net.

A 94th-minute goal from Rhys Murphy earned Dagenham a share of the spoils in a thrilling 2-2 draw at in-form Morecambe.

Dagenham took the lead in the 20th minute through skipper Abo Ogogo, with Afolabi Obafemi claiming the assist with a perfect through ball for the onrushing midfielder to take in his stride and place a low shot under onrushing keeper Barry Roche from 12 yards out.

The Shrimps hit back seven minutes into the second half with Padraig Amond claiming his third goal of the season. Ryan Williams swung in a corner from the left-hand side and Amond nipped in front of his marker to flick a close-range header past the stranded Chris Lewington.

Murphy reacted sharply to latch on to Zavon Hines' low cross to rob the home side of a fifth successive victory with a close-range finish.

Newport County picked up their first win in six games with a well-deserved 2-0 success at Exeter City.

The hosts will have wondered how they were behind at half-time after dominating the first period but, for all their chances, they trailed to Conor Washington's 23rd-minute strike.

Exeter missed a great chance to equalise when David Wheeler's shot was well saved by Lenny Pidgeley and, with the goal at his mercy, Alan Gow headed against the post.

The second half was a different story with Newport looking the more likely to score and so it proved when Harry Worley found himself in space at the back post on 70 minutes and he lashed the ball into the roof of the net.

Anton Forrester struck late on to give Bury a 1-1 draw at home to Southend.

The visitors looked set to hang on for victory after left-back Ben Coker had given them the lead with a 23rd-minute free-kick.

But after Coker was sent off in the 88th minute, Forrester pounced in the first minute of stoppage time to spare Bury from a fourth straight defeat.

Two quick-fire goals earned Rochdale a win at Accrington.

Mattew Lund netted his side’s first after seven minutes before Scott Hogan added a second six minutes later.

Kayode Odejayi pulled one back for the hosts but Rochdale held on for the win.

AFC Wimbledon moved up to third in the table with a 3-1 win over Burton Albion.

The visitors took the lead through Adam McGurk but goals from Harry Pell, Jack Midson and Andy Frampton ensured the hosts all three points.

John-Joe O'Toole scored a 90th-minute equaliser to earn Bristol Rovers a point from a 2-2 draw with Hartlepool at the Memorial Stadium.

The powerful midfielder scored with a low drive from 15 yards after good work from substitute David Clarkson and a Lee Brown cross set up the chance.

Matt Harrold had fired Rovers in front on 35 minutes, chesting down an Eliot Richards pass before beating Scott Flinders with a well-placed right-footed shot from just inside the box.

But before the cheers had died down Hartlepool were on level terms, striker Luke James picking his spot with a low right-footed shot from a central position just outside the area.

On the brink of half-time, man-of-the-match James fired home again from close range after Rovers had made a mess of trying to clear a Jonathan Franks cross.

Classy Mansfield saw off Northampton 3-0 in what was a very consummate performance.

Ben Hutchinson netted after 30 minutes before Sam Clucas doubled his side’s lead four minutes later.

Northampton’s day went from bad to worse as Mathias Kouo-Doumbe scored a second-half own goal.

Torquay overcame Cheltenham 4-2 in what was the day’s most exciting League Two encounter.

Callum Ball scored two first-half goals with Byron Harrison responding for the visitors.

Karl Hawley extended his side’s lead minutes into the second half before Terry Gornell pulled his side within one goal.

The game was put to bed, however, when Jordan Chapell scored late on.

Wycome moved to sixth in the table after a 1-1 draw with York City.

The first half was fairly uneventful but David McGurk opened the scoring midway into the second half.

The hosts equalised just six minutes later, though, when Dean Morgan scored from close range.

View Comments