Reports this morning suggested that initial discussions held in Valencia between club President Amadeo Salvo, Soldado’s agent Alberto Toldra and Spurs’ technical director Baldini on Monday had the London side close to agreeing a deal.
However, following on from Los Che’s board meeting this morning to discuss the Premier League side’s proposal amid the anticipation that they would raise it further from €26m closer to Valencia’s €30m asking price, talks appear to have broken down.
Superdeporte report that Baldini has departed Valencia on Tuesday afternoon without reaching an agreement for the 28-year-old, with it understood that Los Che held firm in demanding Soldado’s buyout clause of €30m was met and on their payment terms - without variables or conditions attached.
Speculation continues to surround both strikers this week, linked with moves away from their current employers.
The publication also suggest that once this is confirmed, then the capital outfit will turn their attention to Liverpool’s Suarez, who has continually made noises that he wants to leave Anfield and is anticipated this week in returning to preseason as pushing Brendan Rodgers to allow him to leave.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has dismissed the prospect of Cristiano Ronaldo leaving the club this summer or any other, declaring the Portuguese will "end his career" in the Spanish capital.
The Portugal international has been linked with a return to Manchester United or even a switch to ambitious French champions Paris St Germain.
The 28-year-old has two years to run on his deal at Madrid, who paid a world record £80million fee to prise him away from United in 2009, but courted speculation over his future recently by revealing that he misses English football.
However, his former boss at Madrid, Jose Mourinho, insists there is no chance the player will leave the Bernabeu this summer, with that view shared by his successor Carlo Ancelotti.
And speaking to French newspaper L'Equipe, Perez underlined the club's determination to hold on to their prize asset.
"Cristiano Ronaldo is the cornerstone of our project," Perez said.
"He's the world's greatest player and I can now say that he will end his career at Real Madrid.
"We haven't received any offer for Cristiano Ronaldo."
Perez also poured cold water on speculation linking Ancelotti with a raid on former club PSG, who the Italian left earlier this summer after guiding them to the Ligue 1 title.
The likes of Marco Verratti and Zlatan Ibrahimovic were reported to be at the top of Ancelotti's wish-list, but Perez said: "Real Madrid will not touch any PSG player like Verratti or Ibrahimovic.
"Ancelotti didn't ask for any of their players, so maybe my words can calm PSG fans a bit."
Barcelona President Sandro Rosell has reportedly written to Manchester United to make clear that Cesc Fabregas is not for sale.
The English club yesterday confirmed that whilst a first offer, believed to be around €30m, was rejected last week, they had gone back in with a second proposal.
Whilst this was apparently at a level of €40m, Barca were reported yesterday evening as having turned it down.
The BBC are now running the line that it has been followed up by Rosell’s personal intervention on the matter.
The President has reportedly written to United officials to make clear that the 26-year-old former Arsenal midfielder will not be sold this summer.
“Fabregas is not for sale,” the British news outlet quote a Barcelona source as saying. “The President has been very clear with Man United.”
The attack-minded Brazilian full-back has been linked in recent days with a possible move to Los Blancos after impressing last term for the Andalucians and managing to finish as the team’s second highest goalscorer despite his position.
AS understand that the 27-year-old has now made clear to Granada’s President Pina his desire to be allowed to leave for Madrid, just 12 months on from signing a five-year contract with the club.
The latest reports understand that Siqueira’s buyout clause is as high as €25m, and that Granada’s initial asking price is €14m. Madrid are reportedly keen to pay no more than €8m.
Granada are reportedly now in the market for a replacement left-back, working to the assumption that Siqueira will be leaving.
Julio Baptista is awaiting confirmation of his move from Malaga to Cruzeiro.
The Brazilian striker is set to end a decade in European football this week with La Opinion de Malaga expecting that a return to his homeland is all but signed off on.
The 31-year-old reportedly reached agreement with Cruzeiro over the weekend, following on from earlier suggestions that Malaga were pushing for a solution to his current contract, expiring next summer.
Whilst the Anchovies were keen to keep hold of the striker, who they signed from Roma in 2011, it was believed that they had asked him to take a 60 per cent pay-cut in exchange for an extension to the deal.
However, the player’s believed failure to reach an agreement with the club has seen a deal with Cruzeiro reached instead.
Diego Lopez has reiterated his desire to continue his work from last season and fight for his place at Real Madrid.
The goalkeeper was signed by Los Merengues as cover for the injured Iker Casillas in January and kept hold of the No 1 jersey through to the end of the season.
With a change of Coach, though, speculation in parts has suggested that the 31-year-old would be looking for an exit, with Iker Casillas considered likely to return to a starting role.
“I hope to continue the work from the last bit of last season,” began Lopez to reporters today.
“The final six months were very good. I’m here to work hard and fight for a spot and hope Madrid win titles and return to being on top. I’m working, trying to convince the Coach and contribute to the team.
“I said when I came here that it was a dream for me. I have never raised the possibility of leaving. I have confidence in my ability. If there have been offers then it is something for Madrid to assess, but my position is to continue with this club. There isn’t long until the start of the season, I need to work hard.”
Lopez was talking on from Madrid’s first training session back after Sunday’s 6-0 preseason win at Bournemouth. Tomorrow sees the team travel out to face Lyon.
“I am excited and the whole dressing room have their batteries fully charged. The arrival of a new Coach has given everyone a boost because competition for places will be tough and we have to give our best.
“The additions to the squad are doing well and are settling in. From the outside things look to be going well and from the inside things feel the same.
“We have a lot of difficult preseason matches and the one against Lyon is one of those. We have to work hard to get the best possible start in the League.”
Reports today again link Gareth Bale with the club.
“I believe that players who are not here in Madrid are not required by the club. He would be a great signing, but the ones that are at the club now are working with the Coach.”
The goalkeeper was asked for comment on the news that Barcelona have appointed Gerardo Martino as Coach.
“I want to send a message of support for Tito Vilanova. The fans, players and club are separate from the disease.
“Barcelona have decided to sign another Coach. He has done important things with Paraguay and his move is good for Barca.”
Real Madrid are believed to have moved a step closer this week to signing Gareth Bale, reportedly agreeing a six-year contract.
The capital club have been increasingly linked with making a move this summer for the €90m-rated Tottenham star, who is also seen as having admirers in Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain.
Marca, however, believe that Madrid have the advantage and may have already put forward an initial offer for Spurs’ consideration, of a transfer fee of between €80m and €85m and full-back Fabio Coentrao included to go the other way.
It is also alleged by the Madrid-based publication that Florentino Perez and Jose Angel Sanchez have already sat down with Bale’s representative Jonathan Barnett and thrashed out terms of a deal.
Reportedly settling on a six-year deal, Los Blancos are reportedly committed to paying the player a starting wage of between €9m and €10m, should a transfer fee with Tottenham be agreed.
Barnett has also apparently indicated to Madrid that Bale will turn down advances from other parties, such as Manchester United, who are anticipated as making a move this transfer window also.
Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas has since denied a deal has been done and said Bale will remain with the North London club.
Real Betis are reportedly on the verge of sealing a deal to take full-back Didac Vila on loan from Milan.
The former Espanyol defender is believed to be set to complete a temporary switch out to Los Beticos this summer, subject to passing medical examinations.
Meanwhile, the player’s representative Raul Verdu is travelling out to Milan today to finalise personal terms of the move, which will apparently see the 24-year-old take a pay cut.
Betis, who will reportedly pay up to €350,000 of his salary for the next year, are believed unlikely to see a purchase option included in the deal.
Vila agreed to join Valencia on an initial loan deal this time last year, only for the move to break down over a failed medical test.
- Sports & Recreation
- Real Madrid
- Manchester United
- Cristiano Ronaldo
- Carlo Ancelotti