Liga - Spanish transfer round-up: Barca close on keeper

A round-up of the day's Spanish transfer gossip as Barcelona eye a new keeper, and the Gareth Bale saga drags on.

FootballEspana
Liga - Spanish transfer round-up: Barca close on keeper
.

View photo

Nahuel Guzman (Newell's) - IMAGO

Barcelona boss Tata Martino has identified Newell’s Old Boys goalkeeper Nahuel Guzman as the man to replace Victor Valdes at the Camp Nou.

Valdes recently reiterated that “there is no going back on my decision to leave at the end of next season” and Martino has asked Barca director of football Andoni Zubizarreta to monitor his former charge over the next 12 months.

Guzman, 27, earned the No 1 jersey under Martino with the Argentine outfit last season, at the expense of the previously untouchable Sebastian Peratta, and helped his team to the semi-finals of the Copa Libertadores after saving two spot-kicks in a quarter-final penalty shootout against Boca Juniors.

At 6’3½” one of Guzman’s obvious main features is his height, although he is well known in Argentina for his distribution with the ball at his feet and his ability in one-on-one situations, something crucial for any Barcelona goalkeeper.

In a recent interview with the country’s Radio La Red, former Argentina central defender and a team-mate of Martino’s in his playing days with Newell’s, Roberto Sensini, said if he had to pick a player from the club to go to Barca then it would be Guzman.

“He is a goalkeeper who is ideal for Barcelona’s style of football. I would like it if Barca took him,” said Sensini.

Mundo Deportivo reports that the Catalans have already agreed a deal to bring Liverpool’s Pepe Reina to the Camp Nou next summer - when Valdes will have fulfilled his contract - once he completes his 12-month loan spell with Napoli.

In addition, La Blaugrana reserve stopper Jose Manuel Pinto, 38, will leave the club at the end of the 2013-14 campaign after five seasons, while Borussia Monchengladbach youngster Tor Stegen is another believed to be under consideration.

According to AS, Gareth Bale is upset at Andre Villas-Boas recent remarks that ‘the player is not for sale’ and no deal is ‘imminent’.

The Welshman pulled out of Tottenham Hotspur’s pre-season games in Hong Kong and Monaco with a buttock injury, and the newspaper reports he is now considering whether to turn up for training on Tuesday in protest at the Spurs boss’s comments.

It also claims the player’s agent Jonathan Barnett has suggested he is desperate to leave White Hart Lane and sign for Real Madrid.

“Gareth is unhappy with Villas-Boas for what he said in Monaco and is even considering not going to training this week because right now he is very upset,” it quotes Barnett as saying.

The player is understood to be in Cardiff and is in daily contact with his agent while he awaits developments in the long-running transfer saga.

Rubin Kazan have tested Espanyol’s resolve to hang on to Hector Moreno by making an offer of around €9m (£7.7m) for the defender.

Espanyol President Joan Collet told reporters that a formal bid has been received from the Russian club, with the player’s agent Jan van Baal confirming the Mexican international is open to the move.

“We are ready to initiate negotiations as soon as the two clubs reach an agreement between themselves,” he revealed.

The 25-year-old centre-back joined the Catalans for €4m (£3.4m) from AZ Alkmaar in June 2011, having been signed from Mexican side Pumas three years previously, and has since become a mainstay of Espanyol’s defence.

However, the Russians may face competition from the Premier League for his services, with Cardiff City and Swansea City both having shown an interest in recent weeks.

Sevilla are set to profit if a proposed former winger Diego Capel moves from Sporting Lisbon to Marseille.

Negotiations for the 25-year-old are believed to be at an advanced stage and the Andalusians are due 20 per cent of any sell-on fee should Capel decide to leave the Portuguese outfit.

Reports in Portugal claim the Ligue 1 club have offered €5m (£4.3m) for the player and Sporting, who are going through a difficult time financially, are aware they will need to hand over part of the money to Sevilla.

As a result, the Lisbon club are hoping Marseille will up their offer by a further €2m (£1.7m) as they seek to offload players to service mounting debt, and Capel is understood to look favourably upon the move.

Capel joined Sporting in July 2011 for around €4m (£3.4m), having made 125 La Liga appearances for Sevilla and represented Spain twice, and Los Nervionenses’ President Jose Maria Del Nido would welcome the extra cash as he attempts to reduce his own club’s debt.

Real Madrid are still interested in Granada full-back Guilherme Siqueira, but a deal may not be done until August 31.

According to Terra, Los Blancos are keen to sign the Grana defender, but must first off-load the wantaway Fabio Coentrao.

The Portugal international has been linked with a move to Tottenham, with a transfer likely to not be completed until later this month.

As such, Carlo Ancelotti’s team will have to wait until the last day of the transfer window to grab their man.

Madrid are set to offer the Carmenes side €10m (£8.6m) for the Brazilian, whereas they would prefer an offer nearer to €15m (£12.9m).

View Comments