Liga - Spanish transfer round-up: Sevilla unhappy at Kondogbia exit

Jose Maria del Nido said that Monaco’s purchase of Geoffrey Kondogbia is against Sevilla’s will, but he did not criticise the player.

FootballEspana
Ligue 1 - Kondogbia joins Monaco after leaving Sevilla
.

View photo

Geoffrey Kondogbia, Sevilla (left) (Reuters)

Los Nervionenses last night confirmed that the Ligue 1 outfit had bought out the Frenchman’s contract at its release clause of €20m, ahead of his travelling out to the principality to complete a late summer transfer.

“Since last week we have heard that this was going to happen,” said club president Del Nido.

“We considered the possibility and from there we have brought in [Stephane] Mbia, who ultimately comes in to cover the position but who can also play at centre-back.

“Monaco have known that Sevilla had closed its doors. We have referred them to the buyout clause and they have acted as such against the will of Sevilla.

“I would think that there has been no lack of professionalism and I understand that he has been professional.

“The image he presented at Levante [at the weekend] was not that of something on their way out.”

Kondogbia follows Gary Medel, Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo, Antonio Luna, Luis Alberto and Jose Campana out of the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan this summer.

“Events have allowed us to accelerate plans of change that we had established for the medium term.

“The market has indicated that economically at least our team was good, because if it wasn’t, the players would have stayed and we would not have brought in more than €100m.”

Del Nido admitted that Sevilla may dip back into the market for another defender, with summer signing Nico Pareja having recently been ruled out for two months.

“The technical staff are considering whether or not to bring in another centre-back at the last minute. It is still not decided, whilst we will have alternatives for the next 24 or 48 hours.

“There is no decision yet as there is then a break of 15 days and Nico Pareja is improving even faster. The technical staff will decide.”

Granada have confirmed that they have signed young full-back Dimitri Foulquier from Ligue 1 outfit Rennes.

The 20-year-old, who has been capped up to Under-20 level with France and was a member of their U-20 World Cup winning squad, joins Lucas Alcaraz’s side on an initial season-long loan.

Granada, who will present Foulquier to the media on Wednesday after meeting his new teammates in a first training session, are understood to have a purchase option also included in the deal.

Dorlan Pabon has enthused at completing his move to Valencia and indicated that he could be available to debut against Barcelona.

The Colombian, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Real Betis, has completed a quick return to La Liga with a €7.5m transfer from Monterrey.

On from sorting out bureaucratic issues that delayed his arrival by almost a week, the 25-year-old yesterday arrived in Valencia and passed a routine medical test.

“I’m delighted to be in a team that is always competing. I’m very happy to be here,” Pabon told reporters afterwards.

“I think I can adapt well to what the Coach needs because I am a man with speed and movement and play on the back of defenders.”

Pabon also indicated that if Miroslav Djukic deemed it appropriate, he would be willing and able to debut for the team in Week 3’s home fixture with Barcelona.

The striker will be officially presented to the media this Wednesday evening.

View Comments (0)
Fantasy Premier League